Football: Sarri state of affairs

Iskaral Pust

15 hours ago, Corvinus said:

I was just reading about this new UEFA Nations League that started, and I wonder how people feel about it. Considering that it was designed to take the place of friendly matches on the yearly calendar, and provide a more organized and competitive format, are we supposed to care a lot about it, or not?

Don't know if I'm supposed to care about it or not, but I don't care about it one bit.

Premier League chairmen plan to push for a ban on clubs paying agents. Club executives believe that dual representation have become the norm because if clubs are asked to pay part of an agent’s fee then the player has less to pay and also pays less tax. According to one club chairman: “We don’t like the arrangements as agents are rarely helping the club so the representation agreement should reflect who they are representing. The dual-representation arrangements exist to effectively protect the player from the full cost of the agent representing him."

HM Revenue & Customs is looking at dual-representation arrangements and will be able to demand that clubs and agents provide evidence of what has been done for each side. Premier League clubs paid £211m in agent fees last season (and £257m across the top 5 divisions in England). 79% of all player transactions last season (426 out of 541) involved dual representation. 

Moves to ban payments to agents by clubs were agreed in principle in June and a meeting of Premier League chairmen in London today is expected to reinforce the desire for this and other measures to be brought in. Other rules that the league chairmen want include:

• all agents working in England to have to pass an exam;

• a requirement for an agent working with English-based players to have a UK bank account;

• transactions with English clubs should go through that bank account;

• agents’ business arrangements should be more transparent, with any agents who operate in England preparing annual financial statements to submit to the FA; and

• players should pay an agent’s fees across the length of the player’s contract, rather than in a lump sum as soon as a transaction is completed. Clubs hope that this would stop agents trying to earn another payday by agitating for their player to move after a year or two of the contract.

FIFA also has a task force looking into agent fees and favours imposing a 5% cap rather than an outright ban on clubs paying agent fees. 

Juve's president laid out the details of that transfer at the club's 2016 AGM. Majority of that money paid to Raiola was because he owned a percentage of Pogba's contract. Juve only received around €73m of the transfer fee + €5m in add-ons. The rest went to Raiola. 

I hope stricter regulations are placed on agents because they have been taking the piss for too long. FIFA need to get it done and I'm in favour of their proposed 5% cap.

23 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Premier League chairmen plan to push for a ban on clubs paying agents. The article is behind a paywall so I'm posting the text (hope that's allowed):

Reveal hidden contents

It is not allowed to post entire articles, behind paywalls or not, because that's a copyright/IP violation. Post selected quotes only, please. 

Reining in the agents is well overdue.  And this is how to do it.  It’s tough for clubs to walk away from individual deals over agent demands if they know another club will pay them.  So better that all clubs band together and force a new regulation.  Then there’s no fear that you have to play the game because everyone else is. 

It might be reasonable for agents to have a minority ownership in a player’s transfer value, like a sell-on clause for a prior club.  That would have to be structured appropriately because the whole point here is that the player should pay their agent, not the club.  So if there is a way for a player to forgo some salary in exchange for a % of their next transfer fee, then the player can pass along that % to their agent as a contingent fee rather than pay the agent upfront cash out of pocket. 

Tough game for Liverpool away to Spurs on Saturday.  They’ve been a tough match-up for us in recent years, we tend to do poorly in early kick-offs under Klopp, and of course the international games means that most players are returning late with no time to train together.  Firmino, Mane, Salah, Keita, Fabinho and Alisson all have long distance travel back, and it seems like all of our first team, other than Milner (retired), were in action for their national sides.

There was some relief with many international managers rotating their teams over the two games, but it still sets up a weekend of disjointed, fatigued football. 

Spurs may be missing Alli but Son returns and Lamela is fit and ready to step in.  Alli hasn’t been at his sharpest anyway but his pressing did help their CM while Wanyama was out.  I don’t know if he’s ready yet to return.  

11 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Spurs may be missing Alli but Son returns and Lamela is fit and ready to step in.  Alli hasn’t been at his sharpest anyway but his pressing did help their CM while Wanyama was out.  I don’t know if he’s ready yet to return.  

I thought Alli was out for that match, and Son will probably be as tired as Liverpool's Brazilians.

2 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

I thought Alli was out for that match, and Son will probably be as tired as Liverpool's Brazilians.

Yeah, I think Lamela gets the nod if Alli is out.  He has done well as a sub and will be fresher.  Winks is in contention too after sub appearances and no international games. 

14 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Firmino's already looking miles better than he was in the Leicester game. 

Shame Salah has his worst half in a while, but hell a Gini away goal balances that out. First ever in the prem for him :lol: 

I agree Firmino was great but Alderweireld has kept up with him quite well. Glad United didn’t get him.

i love Andy Robertson.

Spurs have been very sloppy. Constant unforced errors getting them into trouble and one of them resulting in the corner which led to the goal. Eriksen has not had a good 1st half - numerous overhit passes and general sloppiness. Liverpool have been much more slick in the attacking third. 

Nobody complains about Alisson conceding one goal from three shots on target? :)

Anyway, 'pool got lucky with the timing of that match - with Spurs playing without Lloris and Alli and with Son just being back from the Asia games. Even die hard scousers have to admit, those are some really good players Spurs were missing.

Archived