Football: Sarri state of affairs

Iskaral Pust

PSG rested their attacking stars at the weekend.  And they are cruising so far in Ligue 1.  They’ll be fitter and fresher for this than us after our tough game at Spurs, but I don’t know if they are actually better than us.  It’s so hard to compare across leagues unless you play them or their near rivals every so often. 

Unpredictability is good. 

PSG do have some midfield issues with Thiago Motta having retired - they've been using either Marquinhos (a CB) or Diarra as the holding midfielder, Rabiot being a drama queen and Verratti only returning from injury in their last game so I doubt he will be fit enough to start this game. 

Firmino unavailable today after Vertonghen gouged his eye (but escaped a card for it, and was never whistled for regularly grappling Salah in open plan, and obviously grappling VVD with two arms at a corner kick).

Henderson (for Keita) and Sturridge are in the starting line-up.  I hope Gini plays as #6 with Milner and Henderson in front of him, not the positions they played against Leicester.

I think our team looks quite a bit weaker with those two changes.  I would have preferred Shaqiri ahead of Sturridge.  Hopefully the two guys will prove me wrong.

Spurs collapsed and conceded two late goals to lose.  Icardi hit a very good strike, and then a very late header from a corner.

Spurs have been conceding a lot from set pieces lately, especially considering Vertonghen, Alderweireld and Dier are all very tall and good in the air.

Messi got a hat-trick as Barca cruised past PSV despite having Umtiti sent off.

Neymar has been a liability thus far. He's not offering anything in attack and he doesn't help out Bernat defensively either which is leaving TAA completely unmarked and with acres of space. Liverpool look the more likely to score - Sturridge should have done a lot better with that header. 

26 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

The PSG goal was a bit unlucky - Robertson was unsighted and the ball bounced off him and straight to Meunier, who finished ruthlessly. 

Well, you can complain about Cavani being offside for the PSG goal, and moving towards the goal. But no VAR so the goal stands.

Archived