Football: Sarri state of affairs

Iskaral Pust

Great for Liverpool to win.  Once again I blame the international break for lowering the quality on both sides. Firmino was good but Mane and Salah wasted a host of chances, and the MF isn’t quite clicking yet but is solid at least.  Spurs missed Loris more than Alli (if anything Lamela, Moura, Son, Alli and Winks are all competing for two spots, and Moura is undroppable in current form so it’s currently four fighting for one spot).  Spurs went a bit defensive in their selection of Winks ahead of Lamela but it didn’t stop Liverpool from creating a lot of chances.  Perhaps they would have been overrun without Winks.  They really are missing Wanyama, who was on the bench again.  How much more time does he need before he can start?

We could have (and should have) won by a better margin but, once again, our overall control of the game was very good and we took enough of our chances to win.  It was surprisingly comfortable: away to Spurs has been a hard match-up in recent years.

I hope our front three find their groove again soon.  So far we’ve had one, at most, of the three play well in each game.  

55 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Chelsea go top on goal difference. I thought they were supposed to start slow while they adapt to Sarri’s style of play?

Perhaps this is the slow start.  Be afraid? 

They’ve been a bit fortunate with fixtures so far because Arsenal were a mess when they played and still almost got a draw.  Otherwise no very challenging games yet even if Bournemouth are doing well so far.  But if they use a kind run of fixtures to build momentum and cohesion, then it won’t necessarily fall apart when harder games arrive. 

EL games add to their load now.  It looks like all of the European competitors will be fatigued by the step up in intensity now. 

Nervy finish to the game for us. We were good in the 1st half and dominated Watford but as is often the case with us, we tend to crawl into a defensive shell when in front. Watford came out fighting in the 2nd half and were much better - us being so passive did contribute to Watford looking good though. There were opportunities for us to hit on the counter in the 2nd half but our decision making was very poor which resulted in us offering absolutely nothing. Unnecessary sending off for Matic - silly challenge he didn't need to make. 

News coming through that Tolisso has torn his ACL - really unfortunate for him.

Athletic Bilbao v. Real Madrid was a good game - ended 1-1. Bilbao played well in the first half and fully deserved their halftime lead. Real Madrid came out strong in the 2nd half and the Bilbao players lost their heads a bit - affected the quality of the football but made it one feisty encounter. 

ETA. Bilbao's new young GK, Unai Simòn, had a great game as well. Made some top saves. 

9 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

News coming through that Tolisso has torn his ACL - really unfortunate for him.

Yep, that was really an unlucky scene all around. And there really was no malicious intent on the opposing players side (I think it was Volland). In the same game however, there was a really ugly scene in which Bellarabi really went out of his way to injure Rafinha. If it wasn't his intention to injure Rafinha, then it was dumb, and reckless is almost too nice a word to describe that action.

3 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

In the same game however, there was a really ugly scene in which Bellarabi really went out of his way to injure Rafinha. If it wasn't his intention to injure Rafinha, then it was dumb, and reckless is almost too nice a word to describe that action.

Yeah, I saw some replays of that incident. Looked to me like he intentionally set out to hurt the player and word is that Rafinha will be out for several weeks because of that. Dunno if retrospective action is a thing in the Bundesliga. If it is, Bellarabi deserves at least a 3-match ban. 

Just now, Consigliere said:

Yeah, I saw some replays of that incident. Looked to me like he intentionally set out to hurt the player and word is that Rafinha will be out for several weeks because of that. Dunno if retrospective action is a thing in the Bundesliga. If it is, Bellarabi deserves at least a 3-match ban. 

He was sent off with a straight red. So he will be out for at least 3 games for that I think. 5 to 6 looks more appropriate to me. Small side note. He came on for Volalnd (who was "responsible" for Tolisso's injury (like said, that was unintentional and more a case of bad luck)) in the 72nd minute of play. Then he injured Rafinha and was sent off in the 80th.

Ronaldo finally gets off the mark in Serie A. A horrible piece of defending which almost resulted in an own goal (came off the post) and gave Ronaldo a simple tap in from a couple of yards out. 

Wolves are really good to watch. They have played Burnley off the park. The only surprise is the scoreline. 

ETA. And a second goal for Ronaldo. CL must be starting soon. ;)

West Ham won pretty easily after making several changes.  Rice and Obiang looked pretty capable as a MF without Wilshire there, even if Noble still looked like a weak link.  I think Noble and Wilshire have been holding back this team so far.  Once Lanzini is back I doubt either of them start.  Arnautovic, Antonio, Felipe Anderson, Lanzini and Yarmolenko all offer enough attacking ability if they have a reasonable defensive platform behind them.  Speaking of which, Diop really hasn’t found his feet yet in the PL. 

Archived