Football: Sarri state of affairs

Iskaral Pust

Well,i'm sure all the neutrals must have enjoyed this game,but for fucks sake someone explain to me why Klopp leaves his substitutions so late! I'm a rank amateaur at footy,but a few minutes before PSG scored their 2nd, even i was thinking that he should have taken off Salah,who was clearly tired/off form.

Sturridge should have easily put away at least 1 more goal for an easy 3-1 win.Instead we had to do it the hard way.

Liverpool outplayed PSG and were in complete control in the 2nd half but almost ended up fucking it up. Nice finish by Firmino and really poor defensive play by Mbappe and Neymar just before that. Neymar was rubbish in this game and more of a liability than anything else - not allowed to sub a player who is bigger than the club though. 

Red Star earn a point against Napoli. Poor result for Napoli who have to play Liverpool next and they haven't looked as good as they did last season.

It's still early in the season, so I am curious whether this TUchel - PSG marriage is gonna work out. But I think, there needs to be a visible improvement by december. Otherwise I can see Tuchel really just spending only one season at PSG.

PSG are thin in midfield especially without Verratti and Motta having retired. Even Emery wanted midfield reinforcements and a left back but Henrique blew the money on Neymar and Mbappe which left them needing to sell players to balance the books and look for cheaper signings. Now they have to play their 1st choice CB in midfield. They have some promising youngsters in Bernede, N'Soki and Nkunku but none of them are ready to play at this level yet.

I'd say it's just Neymar and Mbappe who either don't help out or do it very poorly. Cavani works his socks off. Verratti's return should improve things but they need a quality holding/deep lying midfielder - someone better than Lassana Diarra or having to play Marquinhos out of position.

ETA. Their left back situation isn't so great either. Bernat isn't very good and Kurzawa is no better (possibly even worse). These were the areas Emery wanted to strengthen but Henrique had other ideas.

No argument from me. Neymar did more harm than good. Bernat had his hands full looking after Salah but Neymar could not be bothered about tracking back which allowed TAA to push up and VVD was constantly picking him out with easy diagonals where he was in acres of space. 

Having now watched the full game, Milner, Henderson, Robertson, TAA and Gomez were excellent, while Gini and VVD were very good.  The rest were good but not great.  Sturridge took his goal well and had his best interplay yet with Mane and Salah, even if he still contributes much less than Firmino.  And he should have scored a second header. 

TAA deserves special mention for a very confident showing and out-playing Trippier on Saturday too, after he had looked very rusty in the earlier games of the season. 

Salah was not as bad as some reports suggest but he was very tired after ~70-75 minutes.  He may need a break at the weekend.  Also, he was fouled a lot more than Neymar; PSG seemed a bit hypocritical on that point.

PSG really rode their luck.  Their first goal was offside, the disallowed goal could easily have stood, Sturridge should have buried that header, Liverpool had several chances and generally controlled the game, but PSG showed good quality to take the couple of chances they got.  Mbappe was dangerous but did little damage with cutback crosses, then he finally got a central chance. 

The home crowd was pretty quiet for long stretches and put to shame by the traveling support.  

PSG are a quality side, albeit too tolerant of Neymar coasting and not used to opposition who can match them.  We did well to outplay them without Firmino and with Mane and Salah still off form.  I’d expect our front three will be in better shape for the rematch in Paris. 

Archived