Hugo Nominations and Awards - Now onto 2021 Nominations

lady narcissa

I just finished Spinning Silver. I thought it was much better than Uprooted. I really enjoyed it (though I wouldn't call it groundbreaking).

I wouldn't really characterize it as YA and think it is better nominated for the Hugo, not to mention the publisher lists it as adult lit (arbitrary, I know). I do agree that both it and Binti do blur the line, though, Binti especially, since it was much more a 'coming of age' story than Silver.

Edit: I also suggest KD Edwards' The Last Sun (Novel and for the Campbell), for a solid urban fantasy.

Just received ARCs of Rejoice, a Knife to the Heart, the first big "proper" (not comic) SF novel by Steven Erikson, and Thin Air by Richard Morgan (his first SF novel since Black Man eleven years ago). Both are October 2018 releases (so will be eligible in 2019).

I have a feeling that Thin Air may disappoint: SF has moved on since Morgan was doing his thing, and a sequel to Black Man feels very late in the day now (especially since the "alpha male" stuff Morgan leaned into in the first book has been thoroughly rowed back by science in the meantime). But we'll see.

Rejoice, in which an probe shows up whose controlling AI has a major problem - it is programmed to remove threats to ecosystems, so it's torn between destroying humanity for devastating Earth's ecosystem and preserving it as it's part of it - looks a lot more interesting. It's relatively short, so I might put the current Robin Hobb on hold and get through it over the weekend.

48 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Just received ARCs of Rejoice, a Knife to the Heart, the first big "proper" (not comic) SF novel by Steven Erikson, and Thin Air by Richard Morgan (his first SF novel since Black Man eleven years ago). Both are October 2018 releases (so will be eligible in 2019).

I have a feeling that Thin Air may disappoint: SF has moved on since Morgan was doing his thing, and a sequel to Black Man feels very late in the day now (especially since the "alpha male" stuff Morgan leaned into in the first book has been thoroughly rowed back by science in the meantime). But we'll see.

Rejoice, in which an probe shows up whose controlling AI has a major problem - it is programmed to remove threats to ecosystems, so it's torn between destroying humanity for devastating Earth's ecosystem and preserving it as it's part of it - looks a lot more interesting. It's relatively short, so I might put the current Robin Hobb on hold and get through it over the weekend.

It's an interesting premise for sure. However I did not care for his wilful child sf novels and Malazan was already very on and off.

Perhaps this will really be more serious unlike Wilful child. Worth a try at least.

I'm more interested in the Morgan myself, partially because of the future Mars setting. Not sure if there are big ,or even any, links to Black Man.

• 4 months later...

Recommending Circe by Madeline Miller and Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik.

And I think in Best Dramatic Presentation, short form, I don't know if it's eligible, but Le Guin's and Barton's Poetry and Music of the Kesh was reissued last year. It was first published in 1985, but at the time I'm not sure if 'Dramatic Presentation' rules encompassed music/albums. Anyone have any thoughts?

Hi!
I wanted to ask the ASOIAF community that will attend the Worldcon, and specially the legendary Brothehood without Banners to vote us, Podcast de hielo y fuego, for the Best Fancast Award.
Who are we?
We are the biggest Podcast in Spanish and most downloaded Podcast in the world (!) about A song of and fire and Game of thrones (6+ millions downloads in 4 years).

As for our feats in 2018 in order to propose our nomination, we organized the Podcast de hielo y fuego 200, the biggest ASOIAF fan gathering in Europe! And with no companies involved, an event just made by fans and for fans. 300+ people went to Osuna (Sevilla, Spain), where GoT was filmed, and more than half of them were dressed in ASOIAF cosplays for the thematic dinner. The rains cancelled one of the activities, the medieval fight tourney, and modified the White Walker survival game, but it was amazing.

Check https://lossietereinos.com/impresiones-fotos-del-historico-podcast-hielo-fuego-200/ (text in Spanish), you can find more info in the tag https://lossietereinos.com/tag/podcast-200/ The great Ran (and Linda, of course) greeted us at the end of the live pod 

:D

We were also in 2018 behind the #BeNiceToGeorge campaign in Twitter https://twitter.com/search?q=%23benicetogeorge&src=tyah, an online Twitter campaign in order to support George for his work against the harass and attacks he suffers online every day calling him lazy, fat or other insults. It had an amazing success and I am positive it reached even George.

I assume you already know how to vote ^^, so I will just show the tittles for the nomination

Title: Podcast de hielo y fuego
Website https://lossietereinos.com/podcast-de-hielo-y-fuego/
https://

Thanks a lot! It would be absolutely amazing in you could move it to your local ASOIAF communities, specially European. It would be awesome than an European podcast gets nominated in a category such as Best Fancast in a Worldcon organized in Europe.

• 1 month later...
20 hours ago, lady narcissa said:

Nominations are due in just a few days.  For anyone who has already nominated, who/what did you nominate?  For those still planning to nominate, who/what are you thinking of nominating?????

Since the deadline tomorrow I've just been filling it in. I might tweak it a bit before the deadline.

What I've put so far is:

Novel

Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik

Revenant Gun by Yoon Ha Lee

Foundryside by Robert Jackson Bennett

The Hyena and the Hawk by Adrian Tchiakovsky

Salvation by Peter F. Hamilton

Novella

The Flowers of Vashnoi by Lois McMaster Bujold

Masters of the Spire by Adrian Tchaikovsky

Long Form

Avengers: Infinity War

Black Panther

Bumblebee

Daredevil Season 3

Annihilation

Short Form

Short Treks : Calypso

Westworld : Kiksuya

Doctor Who : Rosa

The Good Place : Janet(s)

Legion : Chapter 19

Lodestar

The Invasion by @Peadar

Best Series

Machineries of Empire by Yoon Ha Lee

Echoes of the Fall by Adrian Tchaikovsky

Shadows of the Apt by Adrian Tchaikovksy

Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch (after a while I gave up trying to figure out whether it was eligible and just nominated in anyway)

Wayfarers by Becky Chambers

Fan Writer

Adam Whitehad

Weird, I just tried to fill in my ballot and I'm unable to.  I get my ballot but it won't let me type anything in it and the top of the page says the nominations have closed.

ETA: All solved.  I must say I'm impressed with how quickly the team solved this problem for me.  I emailed the Hugo help email address and within minutes they had responded and several emails later it was all fixed and I was able to access the ballot.

4 hours ago, williamjm said:

Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch (after a while I gave up trying to figure out whether it was eligible and just nominated in anyway)

Oh good idea!  I've listed this as well.

2018 was a bit of a piss-poor year in literature, I think. Definitely not any strong, leading contenders at the moment. On the other hand, TV and film were very strong, quite a lot of leading contenders there.

4 hours ago, Werthead said:

2018 was a bit of a piss-poor year in literature, I think. Definitely not any strong, leading contenders at the moment. On the other hand, TV and film were very strong, quite a lot of leading contenders there.

I found there were plenty of good books but maybe a lack of really great books. I think Spinning Silver was definitely my favourite of the 2018 books - I know opinions are a bit mixed on it in general, but Novik does have a good track record of nominations.

Of course, it might be that I haven't read the best 2018 books yet. For last year's awards I'd definitely have nominated Tchaikovsky's Dogs of War and Max Gladstone's Ruin of Angels but I read them after the nominations closed.

• 3 weeks later...

Sad to see that Madeline Miller's Circe didn't make it. Will be curious where it was at on the long list. It's commanding victory in the Goodreads poll made me think that Miller's lack of involvement in SF/F fandom was not going to be a big factor, but I guess it wasn't enough. Based on what I've read, will be voting for Spinning Silver.

Would be lovely if the Le Guin book won Best Related. It was one of my nominees.

Long Form Dramatic looks like a rough one -- Annihilation has the Vandermeer connection, BP was a landmark film, A Quiet Place was a huge hit. I feel like it'll be one of those three, with Into the Spiderverse as an outsider.

In Short Form, I suspect "Calypso" from Short Treks would have made it if only more people had seen it. A lot of people who might have seen it in Europe on Netflix never realized it was there because of how Netflix placed it as additional material rather than giving it its own listing, and of course in the US you need CBS All Access which doesn't have that much market penetration as of yet. Shame, it's so good.

Glad to see Gardner on there for editor. Really impressed by the best pro artist collection. Jaime Jones is primarily a concept artist (as his website shows) but he's dabbled in cover work for Martha Wells and, I think, others, and so that's interesting; you don't tend to get artists predominantly known for concept work nominated.

Art Book is a good one as well. Hoping for the Vess, but happy to see the Into the Spiderverse or Tolkien books take it as well. Spectrum too would be fine, obviously, but I prefer something more focused getting it rather than a general showcase of art talents.

And, of course, here's to Peadar taking the inaugural Lodestar. Fingers crossed.

Archived