lady narcissa

Hugo Nominations and Awards - Onwards to 2020

Attempting a cursory overview of the Campbell nominees, and the Poppy War ebooks are an unreadable mess :angry: At least there is a pdf, but I was hoping for a bit of time away from my computer.

Posted (edited)

I approve of most of that. Still baffled though that Erkison's Rejoice didn't even make the long list.

Edit: Fuck to the Lodestar though. Fuck, I say.

Edited by Darth Richard II

Best Short Story bugged me. Well-written, but navel-gazing, self-congratulatory "Ooh, we are awesome because we love SFF" fiction is of course going to appeal to a crowd of SFF lovers. It's preaching to the choir and feels cheap as a winner.

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Ran said:

Best Short Story bugged me. Well-written, but navel-gazing, self-congratulatory "Ooh, we are awesome because we love SFF" fiction is of course going to appeal to a crowd of SFF lovers. It's preaching to the choir and feels cheap as a winner.

Pandering to the ego and superiority complex of SFF readers is the best strategy to win a Hugo. Apparently it works even when your story is the most blatant example of a white saviour trope I've seen in years.

Edited by David Selig

On 7/30/2019 at 9:35 PM, Ran said:

Random, but today the news is out that HBO Max has ordered an 8 episode series based on Circe. Jaw dropped. I have no idea if it will be any good -- chances are high it won't be as good as the novel, lets be serious -- but if they make an effort to capture the gods as she describes them.... that would at least be visually pretty spectacular.

Fingers crossed.

I'm there. I liked the book way more than I expected to (especially after The Song of Achilles, which felt like it should've been an open goal). Circe felt more balanced and nuanced - albeit for a book about all powerful beings. 

Anyway, I came here to say that I cannot believe that Children of Blood and Bone beat Dread Nation. Booooooooo.

9 hours ago, Isis said:

I'm there. I liked the book way more than I expected to (especially after The Song of Achilles, which felt like it should've been an open goal). Circe felt more balanced and nuanced - albeit for a book about all powerful beings. 

Anyway, I came here to say that I cannot believe that Children of Blood and Bone beat Dread Nation. Booooooooo.

Yeah I find that book winning...upsetting.