lady narcissa

Hugo Nominations and Awards - Reading Packets are Available

On 4/2/2019 at 12:26 PM, Darth Richard II said:

I don’t normally say meh, but, meh. If Space Opera wins I’m going to throw things.

I now know what you mean.  Me too.

On 4/3/2019 at 7:30 PM, Ran said:

2019: 

Hugos: 35 women, 7 men

Locus: TBD

Locus: 59-41 by my count.

Reading packets are available to download.

It looks like all the Best Novel nominees have made the full books available.

I'm annoyed to see the majority of the Lodestar nominees require you to sign up for Net Galley to download the books there.

1 hour ago, lady narcissa said:

I'm annoyed to see the majority of the Lodestar nominees require you to sign up for Net Galley to download the books there.

Yeah, that excessive security is ridiculous when I'm sure pirated copies are already out there for those who want them; this is just a hassle for legitimate readers. And one of them is requiring Net Galley just for an excerpt! Though Peadar has been generous enough to supply both the nominated work and the previous book in the series.

7 hours ago, felice said:

And one of them is requiring Net Galley just for an excerpt!

Really?  Which one?  I didn't even bother to look because I was so annoyed.  And hearing that makes me even more annoyed!

I would think making it as easy as possible for us to get a copy of the full manuscript increases a books chances of getting a vote.  I get that every year there are certain works that are so well regarded and already had many people nominate it and already read it that perhaps they can win anyway even without providing a copy.  But I would think there are enough where just getting another person to read it and consider voting for it could really make a difference.  I wouldn't vote for anything I haven't read.  And I'm not going to go out and buy a book that has been nominated when they can't be bothered to provide a full copy.  I don't think I'm alone in this.  I'd be curious to see the statistics from recent years on Hugo winners and if full copies of the work were provided to the voters.

8 minutes ago, lady narcissa said:

Really?  Which one?  I didn't even bother to look because I was so annoyed.  And hearing that makes me even more annoyed!

Holly Black - the Cruel Prince. Though it could well be the publisher's decision, not Holly herself.

8 minutes ago, lady narcissa said:

I would think making it as easy as possible for us to get a copy of the full manuscript increases a books chances of getting a vote.

I expect so, yes. Though if the publishers don't consider giving away thousands of copies to be worth the chance of winning, I guess that's their call. But a large percentage of those are people who otherwise wouldn't have read the book. And personally I buy a lot of Hugo-nominated works in hardcopy (Wheel of Time being the most expensive purchase so far) because I have the option of reading them for free, and prefer paper over ebook.

1 hour ago, felice said:

Holly Black - the Cruel Prince. Though it could well be the publisher's decision, not Holly herself. 

This is almost certainly the case.

12 hours ago, felice said:

Though Peadar has been generous enough to supply both the nominated work and the previous book in the series.

That call was made by my publishers, after I begged them. So, it's their generosity rather than mine.

As for Lodestar nominees only being on NetGalley, that might be down to the fact that the Hugos don't feature much in the YA universe. On this side of the Atlantic, publishers would do anything, kill* anyone, for a chance to win the Carnegie or the Costa. It may take a few years for the Lodestar to prove itself in their eyes.

*Some exaggeration may apply.

6 hours ago, Peadar said:

That call was made by my publishers, after I begged them. So, it's their generosity rather than mine.

That was super smart of your publishers to agree to that.  I hope it works in your favor.

I get that the Hugos and the Lodestar are not big with everyone in YA.  It was interesting to see which publishers tooted the nominations of their authors on social media this year.  There were a few.  Similarly reactions by nominated authors.  I think when you have someone like Holly Black celebrating her nomination on social media and attending Worldcon, it helps increase awareness about it.  On the other hand, Katherine Arden has been nominated for the Campbell two years in a row now and I've never seen a peep about that out of her. 

I've read five of the six Best Novel nominees so far (not sure if I'll get around to reading Space Opera).

So far I think I'd rank them:

1. Spinning Silver
  2. Revenant Gun
  3. Trail of Lightning
  4. The Calculating Stars
  5. Record of a Spaceborn Few

I wouldn't mind if any of them won, but I'd rank the first two significantly above the others.