Which is more important: cheese or wine?

Ser Leftwich

We all know that food and drink play an important role in the storytelling. However which plays a more important role: wine or cheese?

While the variety and range of instances of wine are more frequent, it is arguable that the subtly of the occurrences of cheeses are in fact more impactful on the story. Dry? Sweet? Red? Gold? White? Crumbly? Stinky? Fragrant? Veined? Bleu?

7 hours ago, Ser Leftwich said:

While the variety and range of instances of wine are more frequent, it is arguable that the subtly of the occurrences of cheeses are in fact more impactful on the story. Dry? Sweet? Red? Gold? White? Crumbly? Stinky? Fragrant? Veined? Bleu?

Do you have any examples where the choice of cheese has another meaning?

11 hours ago, Ser Leftwich said:

We all know that food and drink play an important role in the storytelling. However which plays a more important role: wine or cheese?

Terrible question.  Cheese AND wine is the answer.  Always.  When its comes to cheese and wine the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts.  Port and stilton.  Brie and champagne.  I am drooling just thinking about cheese and wine enjoyed together. 

9 hours ago, The Sunland Lord said:

Lysa claimed Jon Arryn's breath stank of cheese. What to make of it?

Halitosis.  Dental hygiene isn't really on the map in Westeros and bad breath is probably quite common.  Jon Arryn's mouth probably gave off some very foul odors.

7 hours ago, Springwatch said:

Don't forget the hard cheese (there's more of that than any other kind, probably). Nothing says "tough luck" better than hard cheese.

Hard cheese is common to take on journeys for the same reason that dried meats are.  Hard cheese has a low moisture content which allows it to keep longer without spoiling plus it isn't as heavy. 

4 hours ago, Amris said:

Yes.

Agreed.

2 hours ago, White Ravens said:

Terrible question.  Cheese AND wine is the answer.  Always.  When its comes to cheese and wine the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts.  Port and stilton.  Brie and champagne.  I am drooling just thinking about cheese and wine enjoyed together. 

Winner! Most correct answer.

If you ask House Redwyne, you'll get one answer; ask House Darry, you'll get another. (Or, perhaps, no answer at all.)

Personally, I would want to mull over any answer about wine. Your cheese observations are extra sharp, but there may be other wheys to approach such questions.

Perhaps I will have a, "Come to cheeses" moment as this thread evolves.

Archived