Would House Tarly fall on its standing as a great house if Samwell inheirited?

Ellard Stark

Lets be blount....  I would say yes.

Randyll Tarly tried his best to make his first Sam into a man. Sam and some other fans know you can't be caught lacking in The Game of Thrones. Sam will turn into Tytos 2.0 but even worse because he even seems more craven. Just my opinion. I still like Sam. But The Kingdom of the Reach is full of the most ambitious and calculating people....

As shitty a move as it was, I think Randyll sending Sam to the Wall ultimately made him a better person. All we really know about Sam before he came to the Nights Watch is that he liked reading, listening to music, wearing soft fabrics, and eating. He was also bad around blood, and terrible at anything to do with fighting. Even as a second or third born son he would have been looked down upon for these attributes, let alone being the first born son and heir. 

Ever since going to the Wall he survived a Great Ranging, killed an Other, and has become slightly more confident in himself. And now we are probably going to see him prove himself in some way regarding the Iron Born attacking Oldtown. 

44 minutes ago, Ellard Stark said:

Randyll Tarly tried his best to make his first Sam into a man. Sam and some other fans know you can't be caught lacking in The Game of Thrones. Sam will turn into Tytos 2.0 but even worse because he even seems more craven. Just my opinion. I still like Sam. But The Kingdom of the Reach is full of the most ambitious and calculating people....

You have a point there.  How about this.  Samwell inherits but with enormous amounts of luck on his side, all of the other houses around him are content with their lot.  In other words, nobody gets the idea to challenge House Tarly.  Status quo is maintained for the rest of Samwell's natural life.  His peasants are content and no trouble maker is born during his lordship.

8 minutes ago, Buell Rider said:

You have a point there.  How about this.  Samwell inherits but with enormous amounts of luck on his side, all of the other houses around him are content with their lot.  In other words, nobody gets the idea to challenge House Tarly.  Status quo is maintained for the rest of Samwell's natural life.  His peasants are content and no trouble maker is born during his lordship.

Wouldn't anybody be able to do well under those circumstances? xD

The fact that you would need to tip the scales so heavily in Sam's favor proves that he wouldn't be very good. 

On 8/24/2018 at 8:30 PM, Ellard Stark said:

Probably.  Unless he stepped up to the plate and changed himself.

9 minutes ago, Rosetta Stone said:

Do you have to be a fighter to manage an estate?  Samwell can always hire able men to do the fighting for him.  

This.

Whatever other failings he may have, Sam's smart.  He might have been able to better manage the Tarly lands and increase their incomes.  The problem was he had a father obsessed with martial prowess.  Mayhaps, instead of going to extreme measures to turn Sam into a "man", Randyll could have taken Sam with him when he toured his lands?

Sam might have noticed that a mill needed updating, or that a bannerman was using his land wrong.  Whatever.

Sam is more than smart enough, and despite his protests tough enough to rule Horn Hill.  

He just isn't a fighter.

3 hours ago, Rosetta Stone said:

Do you have to be a fighter to manage an estate?  Samwell can always hire able men to do the fighting for him.  

Well you don't have to be a fighter, there are many successful women rulers in the series, however a male ruler needs to be respected and 'cowards' are not respected as Lords, men who are unwilling to fight for what is theirs will become ridiculed (which Sam already was, he was already a laughing stock in the Reach). 

Cat, as much as she wanted to, could not send Robb home, it  would have damaged his reputation and likely endangered his own future Lordship. 

Catelyn sighed. "I should. You ought never have left. Yet I dare not, not now. You have come too far. Someday these lords will look to you as their liege. If I pack you off now, like a child being sent to bed without his supper, they will remember, and laugh about it in their cups. The day will come when you need them to respect you, even fear you a little. Laughter is poison to fear. I will not do that to you, much as I might wish to keep you safe."

Now Robb was an assertive 15 year old who commanded the respect of others, the fact that even at 15, when he was only the heir, not being at war would have hurt his future rule speaks volumes for how an adult Lord refusing to do his duty would be treated.

A better example is Tytos

Lord Tytos Lannister had many virtues.  He was a cheerful man, good-hearted and gentle, a jolly companion at a feast, faithful to his lady wife, indulgent to his children.  Slow to anger and quick to forgive, he saw good in every man, great or small, and was too trusting by half.  Unlike his brothers, however, he was no warrior.  Though a squire as a youth, he was never knighted, and whilst he loved tourneys, it was always as a spectator, never a participant. 

As his own son, Gerion, points out, his fine qualities, qualities like Sam that would make him an excellent leader in more enlightened times, was simply not right for a feudal ruler in their society

“My lord father would have made a splendid innkeep,” observed Gerion Lannister, the youngest of Lord Tytos’s four sons, years later, “but old Toad would have been a better lord.”

He was not wrong.  House Lannister reached its nadir during the years that the Laughing Lion held court at Casterly Rock.

The fact that Tytos sent others to war while he stayed at home weakened his reputation while made his rivals, like Lord Reyne, stronger. 

Ultimately though, Sam's problem was not being a capable fighter, it was his unwillingness to stand up for himself, his refusal to try when things got tough. A Lord, who is responsible for  his family, vassals, smallfolk and lands, simply can not do that especially a Lord who's lands are on the border of another kingdom. 

Archived