Broken Empire

Wik

Just looking for recommendations and couldn't find much on this series. I read the first book, I think I even started the second....Wasn't bad, but was not really impressed either. Does this series get better or is it safe to say that if I'm not into it by now, I should move on? 

11 minutes ago, Wik said:

Just looking for recommendations and couldn't find much on this series. I read the first book, I think I even started the second....Wasn't bad, but was not really impressed either. Does this series get better or is it safe to say that if I'm not into it by now, I should move on? 

Lawrence is one of my favorite authors right now.  I really think the series improved with every book.  Red Queen's War was also good.

His new unrelated trilogy is 2/3 done and I really enjoy the setting.

4 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Lawrence is one of my favorite authors right now.  I really think the series improved with every book.  Red Queen's War was also good.

His new unrelated trilogy is 2/3 done and I really enjoy the setting.

I felt like I was reading about a petulant boy, trying to be a great leader but has adolescent meltdowns, which I guess isn't unheard of in a "coming of age" type of story. I just wasn't feeling it, as much as I wanted to. 

Maybe skip the rest of Empire and go to Red Queen's War (Are they related at all where I would NEED to finish the first series)? 

What is the name of the 2/3 trilogy? 

Thanks for the input BTW! 

15 minutes ago, Wik said:

I felt like I was reading about a petulant boy, trying to be a great leader but has adolescent meltdowns, which I guess isn't unheard of in a "coming of age" type of story. I just wasn't feeling it, as much as I wanted to. 

Maybe skip the rest of Empire and go to Red Queen's War (Are they related at all where I would NEED to finish the first series)? 

What is the name of the 2/3 trilogy? 

Thanks for the input BTW! 

I think Jorg's story gets better as it goes on.  He's worth reading.  Give it a go.

Red Queen's War happens concurrent to the Broken Empire trilogy.  There is a little overlap.  You could likely read it without having read BE, but I think it would lose a bit of its punch.

The Book of the Ancestor is set in a different world entirely.  It consists of Red Sister and Grey Sister and will conclude next year with Holy Sister.

18 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I think Jorg's story gets better as it goes on.  He's worth reading.  Give it a go.

Red Queen's War happens concurrent to the Broken Empire trilogy.  There is a little overlap.  You could likely read it without having read BE, but I think it would lose a bit of its punch.

The Book of the Ancestor is set in a different world entirely.  It consists of Red Sister and Grey Sister and will conclude next year with Holy Sister.

Thanks bud! 

I think Mark Lawrence gets better with every book. Broken Empire is actually a very layered and complicated plot that’s hard to appreciate until at least the end of Book 2. 

The new Ancestor trilogy is awesome. Hope it concludes well. 

So how does the "book the the ancestor" hold up in comparison to the books set in the broken empire? 

Are the characters as compelling? Is the setting interesting? How does Lawrence deal with writing a female main character? (Most curious/worried about this one)

On 8/27/2018 at 3:33 AM, Bankmannen said:

So how does the "book the the ancestor" hold up in comparison to the books set in the broken empire? 

Are the characters as compelling? Is the setting interesting? How does Lawrence deal with writing a female main character? (Most curious/worried about this one)

Hard to compare. Different types of series but there are a few thematic similarities and the Mark Lawrence voice shines through. 

Characters are great. One of the strongest parts. The first book is a little bit of the kids going to school / training montage style. 

I thought the female characters were all really well done. And there are many many more female significant characters than male. 

Archived