U.S. Politics: Death and Tax Cuts

Jace, Extat

12 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Apparently the Texas GOP is taking mudslinging to a new level.  They're circulating photos and videos of Beto O'Roarke in a rock band and on a skateboard.

Really hard hitting stuff there. 

I'm not a political strategist, but why would the Texas GOP post pics of the younger, cooler guy running against Cruz, acting young and being cooler?

Beto rides a skateboard around a Whataburger parking lot. Texans love them some Whataburger. Beto loves him some Whataburger. How does this hurt him?

Beto was in a band. How does this hurt him?

no wonder Beto is polling close to Cruz. The GOP are campaigning for Beto 

28 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Apparently the Texas GOP is taking mudslinging to a new level.  They're circulating photos and videos of Beto O'Roarke in a rock band and on a skateboard.

You can almost make an arguemenr that's there is a secret deep hatred for Ted Cruz and they are doing passive-aggressive sabotage.

9 minutes ago, Frog Eater said:

I'm not a political strategist, but why would the Texas GOP post pics of the younger, cooler guy running against Cruz, acting young and being cooler?

Beto rides a skateboard around a Whataburger parking lot. Texans love them some Whataburger. Beto loves him some Whataburger. How does this hurt him?

Beto was in a band. How does this hurt him?

no wonder Beto is polling close to Cruz. The GOP are campaigning for Beto 

I wish Beto would put together an add of Cruz saying Trump was unfit for the office (which he did multiple times) and/or clips of Trump insulting Cruz' wife juxtaposed with examples of Cruz kissing the ring later on.  I don't think Beto wants to go negative at all, which I do understand in general, but Cruz is so ripe for it.  I wish they'd remind the voters of Texas what a spineless little worm we have representing us at the national level.  If it were someone other than Cruz I'd get wanting to run a mud-free campaign, but with Cruz and with Texas being Texas I think it would be wise to give people a few reasons to pause before voting straight ticket in November by reminding them that Cruz is kind of a little bitch.  

How the Democratic Party Can Turn the Sun Belt Blue

From Florida to Texas, November’s elections provide an opening for Democrats to shift the balance of power—and make up for lost ground in the heartland.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/08/democrats-sunbelt-stacey-abrams-andrew-gillum/568954/

In the coming years, Democrats will likely face a growing need to expand their inroads in the Sun Belt states—which tend to be younger, racially diverse, and white-collar—as Republicans strengthen their position in older, predominantly white, and blue-collar states across the Midwest and Great Plains.

7 minutes ago, S John said:

I wish Beto would put together an add of Cruz saying Trump was unfit for the office (which he did multiple times) and/or clips of Trump insulting Cruz' wife juxtaposed with examples of Cruz kissing the ring later on.  I don't think Beto wants to go negative at all, which I do understand in general, but Cruz is so ripe for it.  I wish they'd remind the voters of Texas what a spineless little worm we have representing us at the national level.  If it were someone other than Cruz I'd get wanting to run a mud-free campaign, but with Cruz and with Texas being Texas I think it would be wise to give people a few reasons to pause before voting straight ticket in November by reminding them that Cruz is kind of a little bitch.  

I understand why Beto doesnt want to go negative, wall to wall negative press causes election fatigue, and Beto needs enthusiasm on his side to win. 

You're right though, Beto could literally just play 30 second soundbites of the things Trump said about Cruz and the things Cruz said about Trump in 2016 and the message would be clear. I still dont understand how Cruz can look at Trump with anything other than disdain after Trump insulted his wife. That shit you cant walk back. 

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

Perhaps they were inspired by the pics of the Georgia candidate doing Star Wars cosplay when he was a kid?

To be fair though, pictures from a Christmas party did hurt Krystal Ball.

52 minutes ago, S John said:

The title of the ad writes itself: Ted Cruz is a servile puppy dog.

You don’t need Beto to do it though, just get an outside group. Splice some clips of what he said about Trump and vice versa, then use the servile puppy dog line then show him being a spineless sycophant. I’ve got to believe that would play worse in Texas than just about anywhere else. Don’t beat Cruz on policy ideas or ideology, just show that he’s a wimp and beat him on the manliness front.

Also, let’s not forget, Trump said Cruz’s dad killed JFK. Just let that marinate for a bit.

1 hour ago, Morpheus said:

He also dissed Cruz’s wife, would a real manly Texasman let that slide?

I envision an ad with a video of a grandfather (Sam Elliot) and granddaughter digging worms in a sunlit field. Covered by VO of trump insulting teds wife and dad, then of ted VO being all fellatio tobTrump in return. The granddaughter holds up a worm to her grandfather.

GRANDDAUGHTER: where’s the spine?

sfx of shotgun cocking As Elliot looks up in to camera.

GRANDFATHER: where’s the spine Ted? (Dramatic pause) Where’s The Texas?

close up of worm wriggling on a fishing hook

Beto's biggest challenge so far has been name recognition, and the Texas GOP muppets basically made sure his ...name was recognized. Why didn't they just tout Ted Cruz's conservative record? I mean, if the problem for both parties is turnout, then I dont see how people will turn out in droves to make sure a (former) punk rocker is never made Senator.

On 8/28/2018 at 7:57 PM, Let's Get Kraken said:

This doesn't strike you as a little ridiculous? Christ, Japan was colonizing people decades after most Europeans countries acknowledged how barbaric that part of their history was. As a state they have yet to acknowledge the scope and horror of the war crimes their army committed Southeastern Asia and the Philippines during the 20th century. But while there you feel the need to apologize for a silly movie? Can we have a little bit of perspective here?

Oh, it was a completely friendly discussion. :) I also pointed out that since the movie had been made primarily with an American audience in mind, of course they were going to look good. And the other students were from Spain, not Japan. We were all visiting Japan at the time. Sorry I didn't make that clearer.  

^^^^^^

Least surprising headline ever.

In other news, it looks like we're throwing some more gasoline on the trade war with China.

Also, random question. Does Trump get attorney-client privileges with the White House counsel? Because if not, I'm sure Mueller knows who and when Trump tried to fire certain figures in this affair, including himself. That's a huge perjury trap for Trump if he sits down for an interview. Unfortunately, Trump will never do it.

10 minutes ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

^^^^^^

Least surprising headline ever.

In other news, it looks like we're throwing some more gasoline on the trade war with China.

Also, random question. Does Trump get attorney-client privileges with the White House counsel? Because if not, I'm sure Mueller knows who and when Trump tried to fire certain figures in this affair, including himself. That's a huge perjury trap for Trump if he sits down for an interview. Unfortunately, Trump will never do it.

Pretty sure that was ruled on and the answer is no. It is the lawyer of the White House, not his personal attorney. I think the question came in Whitewater.

Just now, Martell Spy said:

Pretty sure that was ruled on and the answer is no. It the lawyer of White House, not his personal attorney. I think the question came in Whitewater.

That's what I thought, but I haven't read/heard anything about it.

Probably horrible for the country. Also, will see Trump sink even faster

Is Mattis Next Out the Door?

Trump’s latest tweetstorm doesn’t look promising for the secretary of defense.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/08/trump-north-korea-rant-bad-news-for-mattis.html

Trump might not feel that way any longer. The Republicans in Congress have proved themselves unwilling or unable to speak out against any outrage that Trump might commit. The allies still admire Mattis, but they’ve learned that he doesn’t reflect the administration’s views—and, besides, Trump no longer cares much what the allies think.

In short, Mattis has lost his political immunity.

10 minutes ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

That's what I thought, but I haven't read/heard anything about it.

Can White House counsel McGahn claim client privilege in Mueller probe?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKCN1BT2MX

That raises an intriguing possibility. I don’t think the White House has much of a shot if it claims executive privilege. The U.S. Supreme Court has already said in 1974’s U.S. v. Nixon that executive privilege gives way in a criminal investigation. Asserting attorney-client privilege would also be a long shot for the White House. As I’ll explain, three different federal appellate courts – including the District of Columbia, where Mueller has impaneled a grand jury– have held that government lawyers cannot rely on attorney-client privilege to defy federal grand jury demands for information.

Archived