U.S. Politics: Death and Tax Cuts

Jace, Extat

The GOP Has No New Ideas Because Elderly Billionaires Own Its Brain

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/08/gop-ideas-billionaires-donors-tax-cuts-one-percent-paul-ryan.html

Instead, Alberta’s primary explanation for why the GOP has, in his words, failed to produce policy solutions for the “plateauing incomes for the middle class, lack of social mobility for the poor, displacement due to automation, [or] an opioid crisis that has sidelined millions of potential workers” is this: Donald Trump didn’t let Paul Ryan revolutionize the GOP agenda, which led Ryan to retire, which has left the House GOP bereft of innovative wonks.

41 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

Horseshit. Ryan is a humanitarian? In his ideology, those people lacking upward mobility or wage growth aren’t trying hard enough.

58 minutes ago, HoodedCrow said:

Didn’t Ryan get exactly what he wanted...fewer taxes for the rich enough to satisfy his mentor Ayn Rand and his political sponsors. No need to stick around.

By the way, Rand died on welfare.

Yeah, Ryan's 'innovation' amounts to telling the GOP to take a machine gun to the poor. Similar to the Freedom Caucus barbarians, but with better press.

45 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

Yeah, Ryan's 'innovation' amounts to telling the GOP to take a machine gun to the poor. Similar to the Freedom Caucus barbarians, but with better press.

But in the meantime grab every social security and medicare and medicaid benefits possible while pontificating against all the Others who are getting them too!

17 hours ago, Maithanet said:

Apparently the Texas GOP is taking mudslinging to a new level.  They're circulating photos and videos of Beto O'Roarke in a rock band and on a skateboard.

Really hard hitting stuff there. 

They are appealing to the sorts of people that think people having Iron Maiden posters in their house is really good evidence they committed murder.

Weird how they are preparing for pain, rather than trying to save themselves with popular legislation. They have all the power. It is like good governance and helping Americans is kryptonite to these guys.

Tough decisions have to be made’: House Republicans prepare for pain

Party officials begin deciding which GOP lawmakers to save and which ones to cut loose.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/08/31/republicans-midterms-congress-vulnerable-lawmakers-gop-805496

GOP officials say as many as 45 Republican-held seats are at serious risk, making it impossible to salvage each one in the costly scramble to protect the party’s 23-seat majority— especially those members who have waged sluggish campaigns and posted lackluster fundraising totals.

I know where the government can save money...not give Federal Employees a their promised 2% pay raise.

Let's not take into account the fact that over 1/3 actually make less than $50,000 a year and the next 1/3 is only at $65,000-80,000 a year.  But that is where we need to make cuts for the budget. (referenced a pdf that I can't seem to link, but 1/3 are GS9 and below, 1/3 are GS 11 & 12, and then 1/3 are GS 13 and above)

I guess it's better than them all losing their jobs. 

20 minutes ago, Lany Freelove Cassandra said:

I know where the government can save money...not give Federal Employees a their promised 2% pay raise.

Let's not take into account the fact that over 1/3 actually make less than $50,000 a year and the next 1/3 is only at $65,000-80,000 a year.  But that is where we need to make cuts for the budget. (referenced a pdf that I can't seem to link, but 1/3 are GS9 and below, 1/3 are GS 11 & 12, and then 1/3 are GS 13 and above)

BUT THEY GOT A TAX CUT*

*That hasn’t been totally offset by gas being a $1 more per gallon and everything costs more now, and it’s only going to get worse once Trump hits China with $200,000,000,000 in tariffs, thus triggering a greater trade war, oh and it sounds like Canada won’t agree to a new NAFTA by Trump’s deadline.

FreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeDumb!  

37 minutes ago, Lany Freelove Cassandra said:

Forgot the capper that came out later:

President Trump told Bloomberg on Thursday that he's considering taking executive action to reduce taxes on investment income by indexing capital gains to inflation - a move that is a high priority for conservatives.

"I'm thinking about it," Trump said in an interview with the news outlet.

Some GOP lawmakers and outside conservatives such as Americans for Tax Reform President Grover Norquist have been pushing the White House to issue regulations to index capital gains to inflation - an action that would cut the amount of capital gains taxes people pay when they sell investments. Conservatives arguing that indexing capital gains would help boost the economy and build off the tax law Trump signed last year.

http://thehill.com/policy/finance/404462-trump-says-hes-considering-reducing-capital-gains-taxes

So, due to fiscal situation (in a booming economy) Federal get no raise. Yet, he will be damn sure the richest get another tax break.

Donald Trump's approval rating sinks to lowest of his presidency

New survey shows first time the national displeasure rating has exceeded 50%, and a majority of support for Mueller’s Russia investigation

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/aug/31/donald-trump-approval-rating-sinks-to-lowest-of-his-presidencyDonald Trump has slumped to the

lowest approval rating of his presidency, with 60% disapproving of his performance as the US president, according to a new national survey.

The figure includes 53% who say they disapprove strongly of his performance in the White House, the first time the national displeasure rating has exceeded 50%, according to a new ABC/Washington Post poll published on Friday morning.

31 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

Donald Trump's approval rating sinks to lowest of his presidency

New survey shows first time the national displeasure rating has exceeded 50%, and a majority of support for Mueller’s Russia investigation

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/aug/31/donald-trump-approval-rating-sinks-to-lowest-of-his-presidencyDonald Trump has slumped to the

That’s actually a bit infuriating. Like, there were people who supported him through two years of other insanity and now they’re defecting?

I can’t see it shifting much more. If you’re in the bag for him still, you’re committed for life.  Maybe it’s Fox News actually running some critical reporting of him now.

17 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

This is an excellent article.

49 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

That’s actually a bit infuriating. Like, there were people who supported him through two years of other insanity and now they’re defecting?

I can’t see it shifting much more. If you’re in the bag for him still, you’re committed for life.  Maybe it’s Fox News actually running some critical reporting of him now.

This is an excellent article.

Well, some of Nixon's supporters abandoned him at some point. It is disturbing how much corruption some will tolerate, but there are some limits. It does Koch brothers of the world little good to gain a nice tax cut if the Trump imperial family gains the power to steal property.

R-E-S-P-E-C-T 

FREEDOM!  FREEDOM!  FREEDOM!

All the way up and down 14th Street, all around NYU East Side, the tvs and radios are broadcasting the Qween's funeral.  What a blaze of well-earned glory.  She did more to united poeple and inspire people to keep working, to keep up the struggle to make this nation what it purports to be than very, very, very many.

1 hour ago, Martell Spy said:

Well, some of Nixon's supporters abandoned him at some point. It is disturbing how much corruption some will tolerate, but there are some limits. It does Koch brothers of the world little good to gain a nice tax cut if the Trump imperial family gains the power to steal property.

Nixon at least was qualified for the job. He also didn’t run on the “I’m an asshole criminal” platform. That came later.

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

R-E-S-P-E-C-T 

FREEDOM!  FREEDOM!  FREEDOM!

All the way up and down 14th Street, all around NYU East Side, the tvs and radios are broadcasting the Qween's funeral.  What a blaze of well-earned glory.  She did more to united poeple and inspire people to keep working, to keep up the struggle to make this nation what it purports to be than very, very, very many.

https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1035547822748315649?s=20

1 hour ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Nixon at least was qualified for the job. He also didn’t run on the “I’m an asshole criminal” platform. That came later.

https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1035547822748315649?s=20

Some thought Trump's talking like a banana republic dictator was just a shtick. Or that checks and balances would prevent too much damage. Trump has done one thing well, which is to prove his critics right. He really wants the FBI to be his valets. No, he feels entitled to it.

So, the self-deluded, the ignorant, and the opportunists are perhaps waking up.

The Trump cult is very real, but it is perhaps a bit smaller than thought/feared.

And Nixon still had the Senate until near the end.

Archived