Why was Varys so queer?

Varysblackfyre321

He is Master of Whisperers; no-one's going to trust him anyway.... (except maybe Ned, but different thread, dudes...)

As Tyrion might have advised 'Everyone will call you a Spider. Make it your own, that way no-one can hurt you with it.' That, and as he counselled Tyrion in return: 'power resides where men believe it resides'.

On 8/26/2018 at 6:49 PM, Tai Pan said:

He was trying to appear harmless.

I agree. His perfume, powder, silk shoes, simpering giggle, etc. are all a persona he's crafted to appear as harmless as possible. Femininity is typically correlated with passivity across many cultures. A man with these traits is not someone you consider a violent threat to your own life. He also doesn't surround himself with a retinue or any kinds of guards, so he is absolutely vulnerable from an outside perspective.

Also remember that eunuchs are not common in Westerosi, especially not in the courts. A man that behaves, dresses, and even smells like they would expect a woman to is something they can make sense of in regards to a man that no longer has male genitals.

He's playing a character.  I've been rereading the sections with him and Tyrion the past couple days, and Varys is a skilled actor and spy.  Tyrion is stunned when Shae sees through one of Vary's costumes, because even Tyrion had been tricked.  

All of Varys's normal behavior is just another heap of disguise.   He can drop those affectations all the more easily to pick up different ones.  I'm suspicious as to whether or not he's even as fat as he looks.  Being so out of shape seems an unwise thing to do for such an otherwise wise and cautious person as Varys.

2 hours ago, argonak said:

He's playing a character.  I've been rereading the sections with him and Tyrion the past couple days, and Varys is a skilled actor and spy.  Tyrion is stunned when Shae sees through one of Vary's costumes, because even Tyrion had been tricked.  

All of Varys's normal behavior is just another heap of disguise.   He can drop those affectations all the more easily to pick up different ones.  I'm suspicious as to whether or not he's even as fat as he looks.  Being so out of shape seems an unwise thing to do for such an otherwise wise and cautious person as Varys.

Omg, that I could actually believe.

Varys is the character that looses out on my re-reads since I listen to the books at work and Roy Dotrice certainly didn't do Varys any favours. I wish they could edit out all the invented speech-impediments so I could focus on something other than that while listening. :bawl:

On 8/26/2018 at 6:59 PM, Varysblackfyre321 said:

What possible use can you find in his disconcerting attitude? It doesn't appear to put people at ease around him. Would he not have more sucess in getting people to trust by acting not as exuberant as he did? 

He's trying to appear eccentric.  People look at him with pity and contempt.  It would not surprise me at all if it's an act.  

As to the loaded thread title I would say:

The use of martins term "root and stem" seems to be a flowery term for castration. Castration usually means the removal of the testicles of a male animal or man.

A Clash of Kings - Tyrion X     "Nor do I, but . . ." This pause was longer than the one before, and when Varys spoke again his voice was different somehow. "I was an orphan boy apprenticed to a traveling folly.     Our master owned a fat little cog and we sailed up and down the narrow sea performing in all the Free Cities and from time to time in Oldtown and King's Landing.     "One day at Myr, a certain man came to our folly.     After the performance, he made an offer [bought]for me that my master found too tempting to refuse.   I was in terror. I feared the man meant to use me as I had heard men used small boys, but in truth the only part of me he had need of was my manhood.     He gave me a potion that made me powerless to move or speak, yet did nothing to dull my senses.     With a long hooked blade, he sliced me root and stem, chanting all the while.      I watched him burn my manly parts on a brazier. The flames turned blue, and I heard a voice answer his call, though I did not understand the words they spoke.     "The mummers had sailed by the time he was done with me. Once I had served his purpose, the man had no further interest in me, so he put me out. When I asked him what I should do now, he answered that he supposed I should die.     To spite him, I resolved to live.     I begged, I stole, and I sold what parts of my body still remained to me.     Soon I was as good a thief as any in Myr, and when I was older I learned that often the contents of a man's letters are more valuable than the contents of his purse./

Varys' backstory is interesting. My question is what makes Varys and his young balls important?

Maybe Varys happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and any human male balls would have sufficed in the magical act which may or may not have have been committed by Marwyn.

But young Varys' balls being cut off doesn't answer why Aerys II was encouraged by some unknown person to recruit Varys nor why V & I gave Jon Con a boy to raise who is supposedly Aegon.

On 8/26/2018 at 3:59 PM, Varysblackfyre321 said:

What possible use can you find in his disconcerting attitude? It doesn't appear to put people at ease around him. Would he not have more sucess in getting people to trust by acting not as exuberant as he did? 

The Varys that we see in the small council is just a persona he shows to certain people. All his personas are quite distinct.  

Another thing is that it makes him distinctive. A giggling bald man reeking of perfume and powder stands out amongst the other men. So that if he were to dress differently, nobody would suspect it to be him because his normal appearance is so well associated with him that anything else other than typical Varys would be unrecognizable. 

Also can I just say how much I fucking admire Varys? I mean he's slimy af but given how he started out on the streets working his way up to where he is now is impressive. I really love what he said in AGOT, the riddle 

“In a room sit three great men, a king, a priest, and a rich man with his gold. Between them stands a sellsword, a little man of common birth and no great mind. Each of the great ones bids him slay the other two. ‘Do it,’ says the king, ‘for I am your lawful ruler.’ ‘Do it,’ says the priest, ‘for I command you in the names of the gods.’ ‘Do it,’ says the rich man, ‘and all this gold shall be yours.’ So tell me – who lives and who dies?”

Power lies where we think it lies. No more and no less.

He seems to be the one who has figured out the game of thrones

Archived