Best Targaryen Fighters past 300 years

Frey Kings

16 hours ago, Megorova said:

Bloodraven also should be in this list. He and his people killed Daemon I and his two sons; he was Bittersteel's rival, it's definite, that they had a duel for Shiera, at least once, and Bloodraven has won; he was wielder of Dark Sister, and in addition to that was an excellent archer; don't remember whether he participated in tournament at Whitewalls, as Maynard Plumm, but if he did, then he won, didn't he?

Jon Snow is also a Targaryen, and he's a better swordsman than Robb was, and Robb was good - he has won every battle. So Jon is definitely one of the best in that list. Furthermore, if he is Azor Ahai (and in this I'm absolutely 1000% sure), then after he will get Lightbringer, Dawn sword of Daynes, and will become the Sword of the Morning, then he will become the best swordsman, that ever lived. He has blood of all those Targaryen warriors and dragonlords, and blood of Daynes (possible descendants of first Azor Ahai), thru his great great grandmother, Queen Dyanna Dayne, and he has blood of wargs and First Men, thru his mother, so Jon is potentially the greatest warrior of all times, not only among Targaryens, but among all warriors, that ever lived on Planetos. Not yet, but potentially, in the future, he may become the best ever.

You forgot he got owned by rattleshirt/Mance in front of his men. Also I believe that the Halfhand could have killed him pretty easy Jon boy is good there's no doubt.  He might have even eventually made a list, but alas he's dead. I go Dragonknight, Daemon Blackfyre, and Maekar.

6 hours ago, Starkz said:

If he slays out in battle against Ramsay I’d say he’s reached elite status. I remember somewhere it was said that one Northern was equal to about four Lannisters or some such number.

Yes, Desmond says that to Arya. She later finds him dead next to just one Lannister guardsman. It's not a fact, but a boast.

12 hours ago, Starkz said:

If he slays out in battle against Ramsay I’d say he’s reached elite status. I remember somewhere it was said that one Northern was equal to about four Lannisters or some such number. That in meaning Northerns are much more fierce and hardened fighters than Southerns so if he can slay out against the Bolton’s I’d bump him into the top 3.

I can remember Theon saying 10 Lannisters were killed for every one Northman or something like that at the Battle of the Whispering Wood.

9 hours ago, TPTWP Timett said:

You forgot he got owned by rattleshirt/Mance in front of his men. Also I believe that the Halfhand could have killed him pretty easy Jon boy is good there's no doubt.  He might have even eventually made a list, but alas he's dead. I go Dragonknight, Daemon Blackfyre, and Maekar.

He got owned by Rattleshirt, because he has underestimated his opponent. Though this his mistake doesn't mean, that he's a lousy fighter, or that he's a bad judge of character, and is unable to see level of skills of his opponents (which is an important requerement, to be a good fighter). There was magic involved in that duel. So it's not right, to make estimations of Jon's level, based on that single episode. Because it wasn't Mance VS Jon, it was Mance+Magic VS Jon. Jon was expecting to fight against Rattleshirt. Rattleshirt was whom Jon saw as his opponent. But whom he actually fought, wasn't Rattleshirt. Jon's eyes and his senses were betrayed and distorted by shadow magic. Mance is stronger, faster and taller than Rattleshirt, he has longer arms and legs, so he has longer stride, and bigger range of attack, and his attacks are more powerfull, than they should be, from someone like Rattleshirt. But all of that was consealed by the shadow. So it's like Jon was trying to fight with an illusion, while his real opponent was invisible. How can he fight, with someone, whom he doesn't see? Especially if what he does see, isn't really there. :huh:

Also Jon may be not dead. He got slightly nicked on the side of his neck, stabbed in his belly (which doesn't mean, that the wound was deep, or damaged any internal organs), and then he got stabbed in his back (which doesn't mean, that the wound was deep, and that the hit wasn't weakened by layers of Jon's clothes - thick fur cape, boiled leather, ringmail, etc. Or that this hit damaged his spine). So it's likely, that he has three wounds, one of them is insignificant, and the other two are painful, but not deadly. 

11 hours ago, Shouldve Taken The Black said:

Yes, Desmond says that to Arya. She later finds him dead next to just one Lannister guardsman. It's not a fact, but a boast.

Overall a Northern is more tough and a better fighter than a normal Southern soldier.

57 minutes ago, Starkz said:

Overall a Northern is more tough and a better fighter than a normal Southern soldier.

No they're not. It would depend on the individual and the circumstances. Certainly northerners would tend to be hardier than southerners because the north is a rough land, but being a better fighter would depend on things like training, skill, intellect, speed and strength as well. These would all vary massively from individual to individual. 

54 minutes ago, Shouldve Taken The Black said:

No they're not. It would depend on the individual and the circumstances. Certainly northerners would tend to be hardier than southerners because the north is a rough land, but being a better fighter would depend on things like training, skill, intellect, speed and strength as well. These would all vary massively from individual to individual. 

Being “hardier” does contribute to skill, speed and strength etc. Average Northern going up against a Southern who do you have money on?

47 minutes ago, Starkz said:

Being “hardier” does contribute to skill, speed and strength etc. Average Northern going up against a Southern who do you have money on?

It's really not that simple. Of course certain environments and upbringing will help develop military skills, but there are plenty of other factors too. There's no indication in the series that northerners are somehow better fighters. And I don't know what you mean by "average". Do you mean peasant? Soldier? What age are they? What part of the North? What part of the South?

These are all rhetorical questions by the way, I'm not asking you to construct a scenario for me ;-)

If you can survive a sword to the eyeball, use Dark Sister like a Ginsu, put one through your nephew and brother from across a battlefield, bodysnatch Maynard Plumm while maintaining a wicked sense of humor, refurb the Sigil of your House to suit yourself, bag the hottest lady on the planet, and turn your prison sentence into an opportunity to be omniscient, yeah...you might be the most badass soldier of all time.

And Visenya.

Archived