Who would be the best person to foster Robert Arryn?

Angel Eyes

So Lysa Arryn poisoned her husband Jon Arryn because he wanted to foster their son Robert elsewhere and it all snowballed into the War of the Five Kings. Where could he have been fostered, since Lysa seems to be a bad influence on him? 

Winterfell is a logical option.  Geographically close, politcally close, familial close.  Household already has young children.  Different religion locally, but Catelyn has a Septon of her own so that wouldn't be a realy issue.

Riverrun is a second good choice for the same reasons.  But Edmure doesn't have any children yet so somewhat less likely.

Stormlands.  Pretty good choice.   Lots of good reasons.  Renly is young and has no family, however.

Dragonstone.  Also a decent choice.  Stannis is a hard man, but Shereen is not too far off in age.  The Red Witch's arrival would probably kibash any chance however.

High garden, not really a good choice.  Relations aren't great, they were on the opposite side of the last war.  Good healthy location though, and well known for its fine knights and martial spirit.  But the bad blood between the families would be a dealbreaker.

Casterly Rock, also not really a good choice.  Same side in the last war, but the attempt at allying Baratheon and Lannister wasn't working too well.  Tywin also has no other young children.

Dorne.  Nothing really going for Dorne, I find it highly unlikely.  Cultuurally bvery different.

Iron Islands.  hah hah.  

I think Winterfell is the best choice, with Riverrun a close second.

If Jon Arryn was such a good man like everyone claims he should have raised his son himself in KL and not allowed Lysa to baby the child to the extremes she has, If Jon had any balls at all he would send Lysa home to the Eryie and LF as well and let them do what they do, hes to old to care anyways and at least it keeps Lysa off his back lol. 

but now talking serious

I don't think anyone could do a good job on Sweet Robin. The best for the kid was to be raised by Arryn himself.

Winterfell is too far away, Ned is from a diferent religion, Robin health was too frail for a hard place. Can't think in Bran or Arya getting along with the boy.

Riverrun, if the Eyrie is no option is probably the best for Robin, but there is no way in hell Lysa would let the "monster that forced her to abort" close to her child. There are no kids from Robert's age, Edmure is kind, and from all the lords in the series he would be the most tolerant of the kid, but he never had a kid or a ward before.

Stannis is a hard men, Shereen is aroud his age but the greyscale thing would screw everything up. There is also the issue of Mellisandre trying to burn the boy...

Tywin would be ok I guess, but I can't imagine him dealling with the spoiled brat, the same goes for Mace.

7 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

So Lysa Arryn poisoned her husband Jon Arryn because he wanted to foster their son Robert elsewhere and it all snowballed into the War of the Five Kings. Where could he have been fostered, since Lysa seems to be a bad influence on him? 

Jaime's attempted murder of Bran Stark started the war.  

Robert should have been fostered with the Martells.  

7 hours ago, Net-Viper X said:

Tormund Giant's Bane would be the perfect person to foster him. If Tormund couldn't make a man out of him then noone could, and in the meantime they could bond over their mutual love of sucking on titties.

Har! Chella daughter of Cheyk is first choice for me. Her sons have claimed fifty ears between them.

Both Jon and Robert's ideas were sound in a sense, sending him to someone like Tywin or Stannis to "toughen him up". However, given how Tywin's kids turned out, I have to question his parenting style. I would like to be around for Sweetrobin's "sharp lesson" though.

The ideal and obvious choice seems to be Ned to me, as he has raised or is raising (before his death) four sons that seem so far to have displayed a moral compass and a degree compassion, while at the same time not being "soft". Catelyn's point was a fair one though, Rickon would have torn Sweetrobin to shreds. I'd like to be around for that too.

22 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

There are a number of places Jon Arryn could have fostered Robert that would have been beneficial to him, such as Dragonstone with Lord Stannis Baratheon, Runestone with Lord Yohn Royce, or Winterfell with Lord Eddard Stark and Lady Catelyn Tully. Lysa would have opposed any attempt to separate her from her son, and I doubt Jon would have consented to her going with him. 

12 minutes ago, Bael's Bastard said:

Lysa would have opposed any attempt to separate her from her son, and I doubt Jon would have consented to her going with him. 

I think the main reason that Jon wanted to foster Robert to Dragonstone was to separate him from his mother. Which in retrospect was a bloody good idea!

2 minutes ago, Shouldve Taken The Black said:

I think the main reason that Jon wanted to foster Robert to Dragonstone was to separate him from his mother. Which in retrospect was a bloody good idea!

I think that was the main reason Jon had for wanting to foster Robert anywhere. But of all the options, Dragonstone was the closest, and would have been the easiest to visit from King's Landing. He might have thought that would make it more palatable to Lysa, but if so, he underestimated how dead set she was against being parted with Robert.

1 minute ago, Bael's Bastard said:

I think that was the main reason Jon had for wanting to foster Robert anywhere. But of all the options, Dragonstone was the closest, and would have been the easiest to visit from King's Landing. He might have thought that would make it more palatable to Lysa, but if so, he underestimated how dead set she was against being parted with Robert.

Also, he and Stannis were working together for years, and both shared quite a big secret. He probably trusted Stannis with his son, and thought he'd be a good man to take over after Lysa's coddling of him.

Honestly anywhere away from Lysa would have probably been an improvement, but having said that I don't think it would make much of a difference.  A good choice is also suggested in AFFC by the Lords Declarant of fostering him with Bronze Yohn whose loyalty at least cannot be questioned and who is as tough as anyone else in Westeros.  

Archived