Bakker LV - Nau's Ark

.H.

Mimara is there because Bakker got criticized for no women characters so he quickly invented and added one.

and since it is a requirement that female povs sleep with akka he made sure she had sex with akka just like serwe and esmenet . But he did it in her first scene so he can get all of Akkas sementic tension out of the way and then begin to develop her as a character.

later in the writing he realized he could make mimara have a baby and that would open up the possibilities for further volumes he’d never thought of before. “Good thing I already had akka deposit some sperm in her” he thought, “otherwise we’d have an immaculate conception, and that’d be really qirri up the nose wouldn’t it?”

Lots to reply to (apologies .H.!), but for now I found that quote from Bakker mentioning Zizek and certain paradoxes he sees arising from inclusion of a few metaphysical posits:

Question: Since Kelmomas was always the No-God, but him becoming the No-God is actually contingent on him BEING the No-God (surviving and arriving at that precise place and time) - is this a paradox or is there a loop outside of normal time both for inside and outside the world?

OR does what come after decide what comes before in this regard, somehow without initial causality? And if so - could this be a divine plan?

Bakker's A: The big thing to remember is that the big reason we can't make scientific sense of meaning is that it seems intrinsically contradictory: this has led a number of philosophers, like Zizek, for instance, to posit contradiction as a fundamental property of the universe. Add to this paradoxes pertaining to the relation of things like the eternal and the temporal, and things get weedy indeed. The bottom line is that there's no way to square any number of circles pertaining to a universe where meaning/soul/God/etc. are objectively real. Getting people thinking through these paradoxes is the best I can hope for!

I'm not as convinced as Bakker that there's "no way to square" the particular circles he's mentioned though I have had the same thought - that only an absurdist universe could have all of those things theists need. However this is before I learned anything about Scholasticism in the Thomism-Aristoilean vein.

It does make me wonder if the Bakkerverse is a sort of critique of philosophies like that of the Catholic Scholastics, Plotinus, Berkeley and other theistic thinkers - that there is no way to have a harmonious, just universe with meaning/soul/God. etc. This might be why I see some hints of Plotinus mixed with a kind of horror-show (Intellect as closer to Crowley's Chronozon rather than Plotinus' idea of Mind Contemplating Platonic Forms) for example.

Few more bits:

Gods are greater shards of the Shattered God, and Ciphrang the lesser. The greater the Shard, the greater the associated reality, or 'heaven/hell.'

In intercessory faiths special dispensations can always be granted, so long as you know the right people, like Psatma Nannaferi. This is why the priestly castes wield the influence they do, and why ancestor lists possess so much religious importance. The Gods are nothing if not political.

• The Trickster is as eternal as any of the other Gods. 

Yes, the Gods do strive and compete in their incomprehensible ways.

Q:Has Resumption bared the rest of the Hundred from interferiing in the real world?

A: he Gods are pretty much witless now. Imagine a virus erasing your memories and your meta-memories simultaneously. Theological Alzheimers.

Many things the God hates, such as premeditation and rarely forgives. If one's heart is 'in the right place,' this often helps. But you have to ask Him - I fear he stopped talking to me a long time ago! Apparently he only likes those who believe as children do.

Massive Eye-Roll on that last bit. Bakker's fanatical certainty in his own belief structure is trying at times.

Think of the gradual possession suffered by Sorweel whilst wearing the Amiolas. Kellhus knew something was up, but the 10-sided die was cast. The great weakness of the Dunyain is the weakness discovered by Moenghus. For all the power of their intellect, their spirit is actually quite weak.

24 minutes ago, Sci-2 said:

However this is before I learned anything about Scholasticism in the Thomism-Aristoilean vein.

Hmm, I'm interested in learning more about this.  Could you recommend a starting point?

26 minutes ago, Sci-2 said:

Massive Eye-Roll on that last bit. Bakker's fanatical certainty in his own belief structure is trying at times.

Yeah, it's like he often is a poster-child for his own theory though...which, I don't know, is ironic?  Or perfectly illustrative?  Or something?

32 minutes ago, Sci-2 said:

I'm not as convinced as Bakker that there's "no way to square" the particular circles he's mentioned though I have had the same thought - that only an absurdist universe could have all of those things theists need. However this is before I learned anything about Scholasticism in the Thomism-Aristoilean vein.

It seems like the easiest way to square it is a predestined universe where the gods believe they have omniscience but do not. I'm confused what the problem with this explanation is. To me, Kelmomas always being the No-God because he becomes it isn't a paradox any more than Kelmomas being written to be the No-God and planned in TJE and becoming it later is a paradox. To quote Koringhus, this has already happened. 

It's not a paradox to watch episodes on Netflix but already be spoiled for the ending thanks to other people. 

2 minutes ago, .H. said:

Hmm, I'm interested in learning more about this.  Could you recommend a starting point?

I think Feser is the go-to source online right now? Bakker and he actually briefly debated at some point - as something of a fundamentalist agnostic I considered it a draw. :-)

Yeah, it's like he often is a poster-child for his own theory though...which, I don't know, is ironic?  Or perfectly illustrative?  Or something?

I don't even completely disagree with him - I think he's largely spot on about our biology influencing our reaction to the dimensionless space of the internet and how that affects dialogue. I don't think anyone's got the right handle on fundamental metaphysics though I think the materialists, especially computationalists, are largely engaging in a performative declaration of confidence as an offset against the "threat" of what they see as Absurdity whether that's religion, Chaos, or just hatred that we can't upload our minds and live forever.

If nothing else it does make our job of sussing out some metaphysical posits a bit easier. I know Bakker mentioned well enough into the series he'd never read much/any Whitehead, for example, so I don't bring in much about Whitehead's ideas into my thinking. My guess is Bakker read Bishop Berkeley and the Greeks (Plato, Plotinus, and such)

3 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

It seems like the easiest way to square it is a predestined universe where the gods believe they have omniscience but do not. I'm confused what the problem with this explanation is. To me, Kelmomas always being the No-God because he becomes it isn't a paradox any more than Kelmomas being written to be the No-God and planned in TJE and becoming it later is a paradox. To quote Koringhus, this has already happened. 

It's not a paradox to watch episodes on Netflix but already be spoiled for the ending thanks to other people. 

Sorry - which paradox are you addressing? I was thinking of a general set of supposed problems - The Problem of Evil if God is All Powerful and All Good, God knows the future but you have free will, etc.

I'd agree more with him on biology and internet if it wasn't obviously a cultural thing as well; we don't see the same kinds of behaviors panculturally. Same goes for things like men's rights and sexism, or men's desires and how they manifest, or even how conservatism and liberalism in the US differ from similar views in other places. 

1 minute ago, Kalbear said:

I'd agree more with him on biology and internet if it wasn't obviously a cultural thing as well; we don't see the same kinds of behaviors panculturally. Same goes for things like men's rights and sexism, or men's desires and how they manifest, or even how conservatism and liberalism in the US differ from similar views in other places. 

Good point. I think the Internet is doing *something* to our brains, and it's effecting how we act offline as more of our interaction is online.

But it is possible to give too much weight to that biological aspect.

Just now, Sci-2 said:

Sorry - which paradox are you addressing? I was thinking of a general set of supposed problems - The Problem of Evil if God is All Powerful and All Good, God knows the future but you have free will, etc.

I was addressing the quote he was making about Kelmomas being but needing to become, and how this is a paradox. It really isn't if everything is predestined and free will is entirely illusory. Specifically, his statement about squaring the circle where God and meaning are real. 

It just doesn't seem hard to me. Now, if Bakker was also positing that free will does exist, that's another can of worms - but there's nothing that I know of that indicates that free will exists in Earwa, and plenty that would point to it not existing. 

16 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

I was addressing the quote he was making about Kelmomas being but needing to become, and how this is a paradox. It really isn't if everything is predestined and free will is entirely illusory. Specifically, his statement about squaring the circle where God and meaning are real. 

It just doesn't seem hard to me. Now, if Bakker was also positing that free will does exist, that's another can of worms - but there's nothing that I know of that indicates that free will exists in Earwa, and plenty that would point to it not existing. 

Yeah it's a bit of a conundrum. Bakker in the AMA mentions the God hates premeditation, so it suggests you are given the capacity for thinking about the future on your own so you have Intentionality about the Future- which arguably is the key component of free will. (A la Hankins and Tallis if anyone cares) This God hating anything seems misaligned with the being Mimara experiences through the Chorae but who knows?

Kellhus had mentioned journeying to the Eternal from the Now, and if he is correct that that other component - Awareness of a Real Present - might give us another component of free will (Tallis again) depending on how one links the nature of Consciousness and Time. Since Souls are the Outside entering a fleshy shell Inside, it seems that they might "stand above" the Block Universe.

Bakker seems to start with the position of a fundamentally Non-conscious Block Universe and then sees what happens when you stick in souls and consciousness and an arrow of time. I don't think he squared these things in any true fashion as from the AMA it seems his argument is you simply cannot have a coherent reality with souls/God/meaning. I think he's wrong that such a reality is inherently incoherent but it does explain what we see in the text - if anything the text may describe a universe jammed with what Bakker sees as Theist claims, the Bakkerverse being a sort of 6 book proof of contradiction?

9 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Now, if Bakker was also positing that free will does exist, that's another can of worms - but there's nothing that I know of that indicates that free will exists in Earwa, and plenty that would point to it not existing.

I don't think I can prove it, because we can't demark Kellhus from Ajokli in the whole series, however, I do think that Kellhus has some measure of will.  Just what it is free of or not is not clear.  For example, not killing little Kel for the sake of Esmenet (or whatever) doesn't seem like something Ajokli would have him do.  So, something had him do that, although it's hard to say what.  Something about "darkness coming before" and all that jazz.  I guess, when it comes to Eärwa, the question of the will being free is the question of if the Spirit is free.  The body does what the Soul (the Psyche) tells it, the Soul, in turn, is born out of the Body, so is not independent.  It can only be the Spirit that then would be "free" but only if it is then free from influence of other things in the Spiritual realm.  Maybe?

I dislike when time gets all timey-whimey, because my brain simply doesn't get it.  Maybe I am just not smart enough.

17 minutes ago, Sci-2 said:

Bakker in the AMA mentions the God hates premeditation, so it suggests you are given the capacity for thinking about the future on your own so you have Intentionality about the Future- which arguably is the key component of free will.

Confusingly enough, I think he is talking about Christian God, in the real world there.

16 minutes ago, .H. said:

I don't think I can prove it, because we can't demark Kellhus from Ajokli in the whole series, however, I do think that Kellhus has some measure of will.  Just what it is free of or not is not clear.  For example, not killing little Kel for the sake of Esmenet (or whatever) doesn't seem like something Ajokli would have him do.  So, something had him do that, although it's hard to say what.  Something about "darkness coming before" and all that jazz.  I guess, when it comes to Eärwa, the question of the will being free is the question of if the Spirit is free.  The body does what the Soul (the Psyche) tells it, the Soul, in turn, is born out of the Body, so is not independent.  It can only be the Spirit that then would be "free" but only if it is then free from influence of other things in the Spiritual realm.  Maybe?

For me the challenge is the system of damnation has no purpose if there is no moral accounting, and there's no moral accounting without free choices. It could be that this is yet another curse in the Bakkerverse, but it becomes increasingly hard to say why creation is the way it is. Do the Hundred need, a la True Detective, a place where an Arrow of Time exists in order to harvest souls?

This isn't to say Psyche is free in the way the Pneuma is, which I suspect was Bakker's point. Even when you have a soul that can make choices by placing it in a causal stream you end up with so much conditioning you're almost guaranteed to be damned simply by the scarcity of the world + your evolved-from-animals biology. Humans are predisposed to damnation by Nature and Nurture.

Of course if every choice is circumscribed by the No-God's eventual return it limits certain choices...but why do things have to proceed in a fashion that is approachable by an expected narrative. Why didn't the story just have 3 pages - Kelmomas is born, Kelmomas teleports to Golgotterath, Kelmomas enters the Sarcophagus?

I dislike when time gets all timey-whimey, because my brain simply doesn't get it.  Maybe I am just not smart enough.

I've found Arvan's Peer-to-Peer Simulation Hypothesis fits pretty well with the Bakkerverse, right down to the stuff about rewriting the code of reality. "Eternity" may simply be temporality of a higher frame, in the same way we humans can play through a first-person shooter that has save points and cheat codes.

Confusingly enough, I think he is talking about Christian God, in the real world there.

Ah perhaps...that could make more sense in context...

6 minutes ago, Sci-2 said:

For me the challenge is the system of damnation has no purpose if there is no moral accounting, and there's no moral accounting without free choices. It could be that this is yet another curse in the Bakkerverse, but it becomes increasingly hard to say why creation is the way it is. Do the Hundred need, a la True Detective, a place where an Arrow of Time exists in order to harvest souls?

That's a good point.  If there was no space with an Arrow, than Spirits never get marked by Souls, so the gods can never harvest differentiation.  Perhaps then also, they cannot even be differentiated.

13 minutes ago, Sci-2 said:

This isn't to say Psyche is free in the way the Pneuma is, which I suspect was Bakker's point. Even when you have a soul that can make choices by placing it in a causal stream you end up with so much conditioning you're almost guaranteed to be damned simply by the scarcity of the world + your evolved-from-animals biology. Humans are predisposed to damnation by Nature and Nurture.

Right, but there seems to be some element to me that says a Psyche could be free?  As in, the aim to true become a self-moving soul?  Even if that ends up a failure.  Is it even possible in Eärwa, I guess we should ask then?

14 minutes ago, Sci-2 said:

Of course if every choice is circumscribed by the No-God's eventual return it limits certain choices...but why do things have to proceed in a fashion that is approachable by an expected narrative. Why didn't the story just have 3 pages - Kelmomas is born, Kelmomas teleports to Golgotterath, Kelmomas enters the Sarcophagus?

But Kellhus could have averted it in the same way he averted the WLW?  I mean, in theory, right?

That was the harp of my Abrahamic parallel point from threads and threads ago.  That Kellhus could have made a choice and sacrificed little Kel and averted the whole thing, if only he could recognize it's (spiritual/transcendental) necessity.  Or maybe I am just delusional and seeing what I "want" to.

I've found Arvan's Peer-to-Peer Simulation Hypothesis fits pretty well with the Bakkerverse, right down to the stuff about rewriting the code of reality. "Eternity" may simply be temporality of a higher frame, in the same way we humans can play through a first-person shooter that has save points and cheat codes.

I'm going to have to read that with my "good brain," thanks.

Ah perhaps...that could make more sense in context...

Leave it to Bakker to ever make cryptic statements and loosey-goosey with the terminology to boot.

1 minute ago, .H. said:

That's a good point.  If there was no space with an Arrow, than Spirits never get marked by Souls, so the gods can never harvest differentiation.  Perhaps then also, they cannot even be differentiated. 

Yeah, I don't get this as an argument. Time having a direction is as relevant as North having a direction when you're talking about free will not existing. Things changing doesn't mean things have free will. Entropy does not imply free will. Water flowing downhill is important if I'm collecting water at the bottom of the hill, but it doesn't imply that the water is consciously deciding to flow downhill to me, nor does the water's consciousness or lack thereof matter when I'm drinking it at the bottom of that hill. 

Earwa is the granary, and humans are the bread. Neither of those need choice as flavoring. Damnation being a predestined thing for everyone is even more horrible as a concept than if you have a choice. Not only are most souls damned, most souls were always going to be damned no matter what, and only a few souls would not be. 

1 minute ago, .H. said:

But Kellhus could have averted it in the same way he averted the WLW?  I mean, in theory, right?

I don't think he could have. (I'm assuming you're meaning Kelmomas.) The WLW knows as much as the gods do, but again - they're not omniscient, they just think they are. They know a whole lot, but they know nothing beyond their existence, and they assume their existence is all that is. They are the manifest of Bakker's blind brain theory. 

30 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Yeah, I don't get this as an argument. Time having a direction is as relevant as North having a direction when you're talking about free will not existing. Things changing doesn't mean things have free will. Entropy does not imply free will. Water flowing downhill is important if I'm collecting water at the bottom of the hill, but it doesn't imply that the water is consciously deciding to flow downhill to me, nor does the water's consciousness or lack thereof matter when I'm drinking it at the bottom of that hill. 

Earwa is the granary, and humans are the bread. Neither of those need choice as flavoring. Damnation being a predestined thing for everyone is even more horrible as a concept than if you have a choice. Not only are most souls damned, most souls were always going to be damned no matter what, and only a few souls would not be.

Not the Arrow of Time itself, but rather the concept of damnation necessitates the Arrow along with (Objective?) Morality and Choice.

If everyone is predestined to be damned, does this mean they accumulate sin by actions that were predestined? It gets tricky because if damnation is a farce (in that no one is choosing to commit sin) then why bother with the sham? Is it just the Way Things Are? And why do the Hundred bother to interfere with the world if they don't need to do anything to tip the scales? Are the Hundred also chained by destiny?

Block Universes don't need to make sense internally, if we think of Reality as infinite time slices in the way of cartoon animation cells/frames it doesn't matter that there's continuity between frames. We could arrive at the same end point (damnation) whether or not souls acted in the way we expect from a narrative - making choices, having temporality continuity where their sprites/bodies are concerned, etc. If, as you say, the water's consciousness doesn't matter then the characters' consciousness doesn't matter either save for convenience.

For the Bakkerverse to be a Block Universe the God dreamed up an Inside (and Outside?) that really lends itself to the sham of being Judged/Damned for choices you *seem* to make. It just seems too convenient?

As to what is more horrible, I think knowing I could - against a tsunami of stacked odds - found a way to salvation but failed is the greater horror?

18 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

I think that Sci was saying was that if Spirits are devoured because they are desirable for their damnation-characteristic, then a method of damning them is needed.  If they were simply predestined to be damned, they would already be damned in the Outside from their onset and so could already have been devoured upon having existed.  In this case, Eärwa would have no purpose, although you are correct, that does not preclude it existing.  Everyone damned was and is already and everyone saved also is already.  In fact, it would have all already happened.   I mean, perhaps that already actually has happened?  Is that what actually plays out in the books?  Simply the action of apriori damned Spirits realizing this fact?

If, and it's a big if, that is what @Sci-2 meant.

23 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

I don't think he could have. (I'm assuming you're meaning Kelmomas.) The WLW knows as much as the gods do, but again - they're not omniscient, they just think they are. They know a whole lot, but they know nothing beyond their existence, and they assume their existence is all that is. They are the manifest of Bakker's blind brain theory. 

Yeah, sorry, forgot to be clear, killing Kelmomas to avert his becoming the No-God.  Because in the Outside, the WLW already did succeed.  Just as the No-God did rise.  I guess I am failing to wrap my head around why one could change and the other couldn't.  Because with one the gods still existed and the other precludes their end?  Does that change what Kellhus could have done?

4 minutes ago, Sci-2 said:

Heh I just replied above yours - it is what I meant. :-)

It's hard to tell with these sorts of things.  Especially when someone went ahead and intentionally made them more confusing.  Thanks Bakker, <_<

2 minutes ago, Sci-2 said:

Not the Arrow of Time itself, but rather the concept of damnation necessitates the Arrow along with (Objective?) Morality and Choice. 

I guess it depends on what you mean by the concept of damnation. Is damnation a consequence of your actions? Or is damnation just the natural state where everyone ends up, and only through something interceding (like Christ) can you not be damned?

Because biblically? We're all damned, and all sinners. 

If everyone is predestined to be damned, does this mean they accumulate sin by actions that were predestined? It gets tricky because if damnation is a farce (in that no one is choosing to commit sin) then why bother with the sham? Is it just the Way Things Are? And why do the Hundred bother to interfere with the world if they don't need to do anything to tip the scales? Are the Hundred also chained by destiny? 

In my interpretation - everyone's predestined to be damned or do whatever, they accumulate sin by actions that were planned out in the same way water rolls downhill. Damnation isn't a farce - it's just a natural state of affairs, just like gravity, and some things fall faster than others due to air resistance, not because they chose to be feathers. The Hundred - just like us - believe they have some free will in the matter, believe that they know everything and get to choose - but they don't either. And they're even more certain that they're doing it for their own reasons and own wants. 

But it's predestination all the way down. 

Block Universes don't need to make sense internally, if we think of Reality as infinite time slices in the way of cartoon animation cells/frames it doesn't matter that there's continuity between frames. We could arrive at the same end point (damnation) whether or not souls acted in the way we expect from a narrative - making choices, having temporality continuity where their sprites/bodies are concerned, etc.

For the Bakkerverse to be a Block Universe the God dreamed up an Inside (and Outside?) that really lends itself to the sham of being Judged/Damned for choices you *seem* to make. It just seems too convenient?

Depends a lot on if you wanted to create a world where definitively free will WAS illusory, and God really did control everything and make everything, and this was their choice. Their choice was to make people suffer for eons. Their choice was to give no one else any say in the matter. Why? Because God gets off on suffering, as do the fragments of God. Why add yeast to dough? Damnation at that point is the aesthetic choice of an otherwise uncaring God. Whether one yeast bacterium eats more or less ultimately doesn't matter that much to God. 

As to what is more horrible, I think knowing I could - against a tsunami of stacked odds - found a way to salvation but failed is the greater horror?

I guess I disagree with that; to me, the idea that no choices I made mattered or even were my own, and I was, at birth, going to be damned due to an accident of location and luck, and I would suffer for eternity no matter what - that would suck. Giving people some semblance of an out is less cruel than making them think they have a way out but never actually doing so. 

10 minutes ago, .H. said:

I think that Sci was saying was that if Spirits are devoured because they are desirable for their damnation-characteristic, then a method of damning them is needed.  If they were simply predestined to be damned, they would already be damned in the Outside from their onset and so could already have been devoured upon having existed. 

There's no indication that they're not. We still don't know how souls are born or what the cycle of souls is, but perhaps consciousness is an accidental, vestigal consequence of birthing causing souls to split and refracture, the equivalent of excess heat being produced along with the bubbles that make the bread rise. 

In this case, Eärwa would have no purpose, although you are correct, that does not preclude it existing.  Everyone damned was and is already and everyone saved also is already.  In fact, it would have all already happened.   I mean, perhaps that already actually has happened?  Is that what actually plays out in the books?  Simply the action of apriori damned Spirits realizing this fact?

That'd be my argument, yes. All of this has already happened. Kellhus is even told in TGO at one point 'you have always said this'. 

Yeah, sorry, forgot to be clear, killing Kelmomas to avert his becoming the No-God.  Because in the Outside, the WLW already did succeed.  Just as the No-God did rise.  I guess I am failing to wrap my head around why one could change and the other couldn't.  Because with one the gods still existed and the other precludes their end?  Does that change what Kellhus could have done?

In the Outside, the gods think that the WLW will fail, but also know that they project the view of what should happen and didn't. Why didn't it happen? The gods don't know; they get confused, metaphysical alzheimers, or think they chose it, or make up other excuses. Same stuff they did when the No-God walks. Remember, to them Kelmomas doesn't exist. Like, at all. The concept of Kelmomas existing is entirely foreign to them. People talk about Kelmomas and it's like Charlie Brown's teacher rambling on. They can see through all of history and exist in all of history; them paying attention to small people at one moment ranting about some individual is ridiculous to them. 

So the gods can't think about killing Kelmomas any more than you can think about personally killing Kelmomas. He's fictional. Can Kellhus? Possibly, save that he's just as blind to it too - he doesn't think Kelmomas is even particularly human, and certainly doesn't think he'll be the No-God, because Kellhus is convinced he'll become the No-God and that's his destiny - and has a Clever Way To Avert It. 

So I guess the answer is no, Kellhus can't kill Kelmomas because Kelmomas became the No-God. 

Archived