Hypothetically Speaking, IF the Others bring the true winter out of... winter... then its game over

Ellard Stark

How you going to even fight when >99% of your armies, land, people, food & water will succumb to the cold and the elements? If all the tales gathered are somewhat true....Thats why I have a hard time believing a War for the Dawn actually happened, That lasted a generation. When the cold winds last rose, they probably wiped out 99.9% of all life by the time this Last Hero actually appeared to put an end to this slaughter fest.

With about 4 wars about to break out and the follow up fighting.. I doubt the author will insert this very supernatural and surreal worst case scenario into the final 2 books.

Capiche?

38 minutes ago, Frey Kings said:

Everybody knows the Starks are the true villains of the story. 

Perhaps they are even in league with those vile Starks. Winter is coming, Kings of Winter ect..Maybe those are all signs that the Others and Starks are a evil cabal dead set on eliminating good honest folk like the Freys, Boltons and Lannisters. 

If you think about it, Winter is the real, insurmountable threat. It has the potential to wipe out mankind without the Others moving a finger. The Others themselves only appear in conditions of extreme winter. So even they are a danger only in that context. Even if they are behind it or are merely taking advantage of it, it is winter that needs to be dealt with. 

I would say that Martin has introduced that supernatural element ever since Old Nan told her story to Bran. No, ever since Bran flew and looked at the heart of Winter. 

I am fairly sure that Jon will need to be sacrificed for something to be done about that. Probably Dany, too. 

If the Others are capable of changing the weather they would not have waited 10 thousand years to make their move.  They take advantage of the climate change.  

There will be a lot of casualties but winter will not reach every part of Westeros.  Dornish real estate will increase in value.  The ones with the means can always cross the Narrow Sea to Essos.  

On 8/29/2018 at 8:55 AM, Ellard Stark said:

How you going to even fight when >99% of your armies, land, people, food & water will succumb to the cold and the elements? If all the tales gathered are somewhat true....Thats why I have a hard time believing a War for the Dawn actually happened, That lasted a generation. When the cold winds last rose, they probably wiped out 99.9% of all life by the time this Last Hero actually appeared to put an end to this slaughter fest.

With about 4 wars about to break out and the follow up fighting.. I doubt the author will insert this very supernatural and surreal worst case scenario into the final 2 books.

But we have to see it, otherwise all that 'winter is coming' stuff just falls immensely flat.

There are ways it could work. Most likely the big cold advances slowly, probably being held at the Neck: the names 'the Gift' and 'the New Gift' strongly suggest they are part of the dead zone, and beyond that, the hot springs of Winterfell haven't served any purpose yet. Generally speaking, we get a lot of indications of heat and/or shelter below ground: wormways, firewyrms, volcanoes at Dragonstone, Molestown, caves etc.

I don't recall much warmth at the Wall, even at depth, so probably the cold gets them all. Probably also they keep on fighting after death; the legend of the sentinels points this way, as does the idea of 'ghost castles' - all as predicted by Dolorous Edd:

"... Once they figure out a way to work a dead horse, we'll be next. Likely I'll be the first too. 'Edd,' they'll say, 'dying's no excuse for lying down no more, so get on up and take this spear, you've got the watch tonight.' Well, I shouldn't be so gloomy. Might be I'll die before they work it out."

[ASOS - SAMWELL II]

Archived