Ned and Jeor in Cahoots

I don't think there was any conspiracies going on there. I think it was just a case of Jon Snow being the best option for a personal steward from all the new recruits. He has Stark blood, he is good at fighting, he knows how to read and write, and was probably taught battle tactics by his father. But hey, that's just my personal opinion. Either way I doubt it will be something we actually find out. 

A Game of Thrones - Catelyn II

His fury was on him. He might have said more, and worse, but Maester Luwin cut in. "Another solution presents itself," he said, his voice quiet. "Your brother Benjen came to me about Jon a few days ago. It seems the boy aspires to take the black."
Ned looked shocked. "He asked to join the Night's Watch?"
Catelyn said nothing. Let Ned work it out in his own mind; her voice would not be welcome now. Yet gladly would she have kissed the maester just then. His was the perfect solution. Benjen Stark was a Sworn Brother. Jon would be a son to him, the child he would never have. And in time the boy would take the oath as well. He would father no sons who might someday contest with Catelyn's own grandchildren for Winterfell.

Even Benjen was a bit surprised by Jon's request, and tried to dissuade him from joining, so, no, I don't think there was anything resembling any cahoots in the neighbourhood.....

Archived