FIFA vows "open" World Cup 2026

The Fattest Leech

Big plans for football in the US. I guess we should shine up the ol'cleets.

From the article:

Two and a half months after FIFA awarded the 2026 World Cup to North America, Infantino and Cordeiro headed a delegation visiting President Trump at the White House to celebrate that success and begin laying the groundwork for hosting 60 of the tournament’s 80 matches in this country. (Mexico and Canada will stage 10 apiece.) The group spent about an hour with Trump, presenting him and family members with jerseys and, for the president, a set of yellow and red cards.

Asked what legacy he would like the World Cup to leave, Infantino said: “I would definitely like to see soccer in the U.S. becoming one of the top sports, not number five.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/soccer-insider/wp/2018/08/28/fifas-gianni-infantino-visits-trump-vows-an-open-world-cup-in-2026/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.4246c64d92fc

Isn't #5 considered "top"? Anyway, no idea who Infantino is but then I haven't been following anything football in a good while. So, 2026 in North America... what about 2022, where's that one gonna be?

ETA: I wish someone had red-carded Trump instead of presenting him w/ a red card! :lol:

2 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Isn't #5 considered "top"? Anyway, no idea who Infantino is but then I haven't been following anything football in a good while. So, 2026 in North America... what about 2022, where's that one gonna be?

That's what I thought, too. Number 5 sport is still a "top" sport.

I had to look up who Infantino is because I am learning all of this from the ground up (I kinda recognized the name):

Giovanni Vincenzo "Gianni" Infantino (Italian pronunciation: [dʒoˈvanni vinˈtʃɛntso iɱfanˈtiːno]; born 23 March 1970) is a Swiss–Italian[1][2]football administrator and the current president of FIFA. He was elected President of FIFA during the 2016 FIFA Extraordinary Congress on 26 February 2016.[1]

7 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

The 2022 WC will be in Qatar. Now that I think back, I do remember that being mentioned on my tv channels here during the recent WC game. It didn't click with me back then that I should actually remember this information :)

https://www.fifa.com/worldcup/qatar2022/index.html

Hi Everyone,

Just checking in, wanted to see if there's any news on the playing of European football on the fields of the US.  Oh, that made me realize...........I wonder what they would look for in stadium usage here in the US?  I'd think they'd want a big venue, perhaps the Pro USA Football stadiums? 

1 minute ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

@The Fattest Leech

Your Dear Ownershipness,  :lmao:

I was thinking of EVENTUALLY starting a US Football thread thingy, if that's ok. 

Aah, I see. Going all Brotherhood without Banners rogue on me, eh?

Absolutely. Go for it. I expect to see some revenue from this Ownershipnessthingy. :D

8 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

The US did host a WC before. Like ages ago... I wanna say 1994 but that could be wrong...

Also, FIFA = thieving corrupt mobsters, all of 'em. :D

I have heard this over the years. I guess this happens with any large organization after a while?

1 minute ago, The Fattest Leech said:

I have heard this over the years. I guess this happens with any large organization after a while?

Yeah, quite likely. Still, FIFA does stand out in regards to corruption and all sorts of shady stuff. 

52 minutes ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

Hi Everyone,

Just checking in, wanted to see if there's any news on the playing of European football on the fields of the US.  Oh, that made me realize...........I wonder what they would look for in stadium usage here in the US?  I'd think they'd want a big venue, perhaps the Pro USA Football stadiums? 

The last news was that about the agreement between Spanish La Liga for 15 years, that could begin this year unless there's that new deal with the Captains of the Spanish League. (Otherwise they will go on strike). If only it went well, I mean, it would just be two matches.

1 hour ago, kissdbyfire said:

ETA: I wish someone had red-carded Trump instead of presenting him w/ a red card! :lol:

I saw that on the news!

4 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

I wonder how much he's gonna be making by 2022?

http://www.goal.com/en/news/neymar-net-worth-salary-contract-psg/1kvfsexg0npxf15gn60ol0zknl

and is he single? :lol:

Lawwwd jeesus! There is a breakdown to show what he is paid by the second :blink:

• Neymar earns an astonishing €36.8 million a year at Parc des Princes, which works out at over €700,000 a week.

That dwarfs the €300,000-a-week deal he signed with Barca in 2016 and moves him comfortably ahead of Ronaldo and Messi, even if we take into account the pay rise the latter is said to be receiving in the new deal at Camp Nou he signed last November.

Tevez cashed in on the gold rush in the Chinese Super League in 2017 and was, for a time at least, the only player who topped Neymar's salary. He was said to be earning €38.4m a year at Shanghai Shenhua before returning to Boca Juniors in January 2018.

Timeframe Earnings
Per second €1.16
Per minute €70
Per hour €4,200
Per day €100,821
Per week €707,692
Per month €3.07m
Per year €36.8m

For this match, the supporters of Girona will receive a compensation bc Girona-Barça is an important derby (Girona are newbies rockies in the 1st. league, two years ago the only Catalan derby was Espanyol-Barça, apart from the classic "derby" Madrid-Barça), the anthem of Spain will have to be heard (that doesn't happen in the matches in Spain), and 40000 Spanish flags will be given to people. Any other flag (especially independentists flag, given that both cities are Catalan, and thus, statistically have independentists supporters amongst them) will be intercepted.

Girona is very happy to be in the US but apparently not exactly happy with the conditions and Miami is not completely confirmed,

https://en.as.com/en/2018/09/06/football/1536258259_732071.htm

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=es&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fokdiario.com%2Fdeportes%2Fbarcelona%2F2018%2F09%2F06%2Ftebas-obligara-barca-girona-escuchar-himno-ver-40-000-banderas-espanolas-3082990

Archived