NFL 2018 Week 1: From Wentz You Came

Jace, Extat

Whos everyones sleeper team this year? I think Houston with a healthy Watson could make some noise in the AFC. I think Jacksonville will still be good but i dont see them going to another championship game. The NFC is really strong I think, I cant see the Eagles taking a step back but I think the NFC east will be the best division in football this year. Gonna be fun.

32 minutes ago, The Lasr Storm said:

Whos everyones sleeper team this year? I think Houston with a healthy Watson could make some noise in the AFC. I think Jacksonville will still be good but i dont see them going to another championship game. The NFC is really strong I think, I cant see the Eagles taking a step back but I think the NFC east will be the best division in football this year. Gonna be fun.

I do not think the NFC East will be particularly good.  The Eagles will be good, but probably not as good as last year since their defense is likely to regress with worse injury luck, and I don't think the Cowboys, Giants or Washington are anything special.  At least one will probably be really bad, since that happens every year. 

The best division in football is a debate between the NFC North (although the Bears might hold them back) and the NFC South, where three teams made the playoffs last year, and at least ATL/NO may have gotten better. 

1 minute ago, sperry said:

Yeah I think the NFC East is probably the 2nd worst division in football after the AFC East.

Let's not get crazy.  The NFC East is playing the AFC South this year and that division is a mess. I'm sure the East will be above .500 in those games.  The East is a very middling division, with one good team and three teams that aren't terrible, but could finish anywhere between 5 and 10 wins depending on luck and injury. 

NFC West is scary with the Rams and a possibly upstart 49ers team. Hard to count out Seattle from the mix also. Cardinals will suck but I don’t know if there’s another division with three such solid teams. 

NFC East is bouncing back this year, 2 teams making the playoffs.....and one of em ain't the Cowgirls

My sleeper team, wait for it......................................Cleveland lol.  I don't think they're gonna actually make a playoff push, AFC North is a strong division, but I'm thinking .500, def interested in seeing what Mayfield can do

28 minutes ago, unJon said:

NFC West is scary with the Rams and a possibly upstart 49ers team. Hard to count out Seattle from the mix also. Cardinals will suck but I don’t know if there’s another division with three such solid teams. 

It is in fact easy to count out Seattle, they're Russell Wilson and a bunch of nobodies.  That defense can't even be called a shell of its former self.  The Cardinals will probably be pretty bad.  SF had a nice run at the end of last season, but I think that the Handsome Jimmy hype train has a catastrophic crash with reality this year.  The Rams will probably be good, although I'm not really sold their free agent spending is going to put them over the top, since it almost never does in the NFL.  I think this division is the weakest in the NFC. 

EDIT:  Both the Saints, Falcons, Panthers and the Packers, Vikings, Lions are better than LAR/SEA/SF.  I don't even think it's particularly close. 

11 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Let's not get crazy.  The NFC East is playing the AFC South this year and that division is a mess. I'm sure the East will be above .500 in those games.  The East is a very middling division, with one good team and three teams that aren't terrible, but could finish anywhere between 5 and 10 wins depending on luck and injury. 

The AFC South is decidedly not a mess. They will get 2 playoff teams for sure, with an outside shot at 3. The only potentially bad team in the division is the Colts, and even they could be decent if Luck is healthy.  In the NFC East, Washington and the Giants are both bad, with the Cowboys being mediocre at best.

The divisions are pretty balanced this year. The AFC East is dreadful after the Pats, but you can make an argument for multiple teams making the playoffs in just about every other division. Interestingly, both South divisions might be the most competitive. The one division where I have no clue what will happen is the AFC West. I feel like every team could win either five or ten games.

9 minutes ago, sperry said:

The AFC South is decidedly not a mess. They will get 2 playoff teams for sure, with an outside shot at 3. The only potentially bad team in the division is the Colts, and even they could be decent if Luck is healthy.  In the NFC East, Washington and the Giants are both bad, with the Cowboys being mediocre at best.

Every team in the AFC South has big question marks. 

Houston has three of their four best players (Watson, Watt, Mercilus) returning from major injury, with no guarantee they'll be as good or stay healthy.  IF their health is good and IF Watson continues to be an effective qb, then they'll be good.  I'm rooting for them, since I like both Watson and Watt, but there's no question a lot can go wrong. 

Jacksonville had the best defense in the league and an average offense last year according to FO.  I think that both units likely regress this year, because great defenses almost always regress at least a little, and the offense is still shackled to Blake Bortles and just lost their #1 receiver for the year. 

Indy isn't very talented, and is relying on Andrew Luck to be amazing to cover up that fact.  Given his tenuous health, that sounds like a really bad plan. 

Tennessee has their qb, the good but not amazing Mariota.  Other than that, they have a decent O line and a decent D line, and look in every way capable of being a very forgettable 9-7 team, just like last year.  Congratulations. 

Great title.

Mariota was...fine last year? He's a decent QB. I don't think he'll ever be great, but he may be okay with signs of goodness. He wasn't the problem at Tennessee. 

Mariota isn't the problem, I just don't think he's the answer you want. 

He will be interesting to see get his deal. If the market for average/acceptable starters stabilizes at 18 mil a year with Mariota we might be saved from watching mediocre QBs get 30 million dollars annually. 

Matt Ryan and Kirk Cousins accepted, of course.

23 minutes ago, sperry said:

There is aboslutely no point in judging a QB who has played under incompetent offensive schemes. We call this the Jeff Fisher rule.

Ehhh, you can recognize that they transcended the shit scheme and talent, a la Russel Wilson.

But yeah, it's not right to bury Mariota for the failures of EXOTIC SMASHMOUTH!!!!!

5 hours ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

The one division where I have no clue what will happen is the AFC West. I feel like every team could win either five or ten games.

Agree and not agree.  Hard to see Denver being a ten win team.

44 minutes ago, Bronn Stone said:

Agree and not agree.  Hard to see Denver being a ten win team.

Idk, I can see it if they turn out to be the team that wins the division. Their defense is still great and if Case plays like he did last year, you never know. Every analyst I’ve seen has raved about the Chargers, but I don’t see how they’re any different from the team they’ve been for the last five years. The Chiefs totally revolve around their young QB. If he balls out, they win the division, but if he struggles they’ll get 6-8 wins. The Raiders are probably the team with the widest range in which they can finish. If they trade Mack and Carr stinks they’ll win four games, but if the D improves and Carr balls out they could win as many as 12 or 13.

Archived