NFL 2018 Week 1: From Wentz You Came

Jace, Extat

4 hours ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

Your defense looked pretty solid, Jimmy looked fine in moments and your skill position players are better than I expected. The problem was your line. It felt like two of our guys got through on half the passing plays.

The line indeed was shit.  Their guards still suck, even before the injuries.  The defense did look better than expected, especially down the stretch, but I'm wondering how much that had to do with the Vikings' middling offense - just as how much the Niners' offensive troubles had to do with the Vikings' elite defense.

10 hours ago, briantw said:

As a Browns fan, it's weird seeing national media highlights that feature the Browns coming out on top.

Be honest. No one was on top in that indecent display of football you call a tie.

This was two three hundred pound men squeezed into latex wriggling in the dirt.

Funny, but far more sad.

10 minutes ago, The Lasr Storm said:

Not gonna lie, I think the Skins might be the best in the NFC East. I think they are the most balenced team in the division.

You mean the second best team in the division?  Beating the Falcons is a helluva lot more impressive than beating the Cardinals, who looked terrible.  Not to mention that the Redskins in week 1 are not really indicative of how good they're going to be this season, because Jordan Reed, Trent Williams and Chris Thompson were all playing, and the chance of that still being true by midseason is approximately zero.

2 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

You mean the second best team in the division?  Beating the Falcons is a helluva lot more impressive than beating the Cardinals, who looked terrible.  Not to mention that the Redskins in week 1 are not really indicative of how good they're going to be this season, because Jordan Reed, Trent Williams and Chris Thompson were all playing, and the chance of that still being true by midseason is approximately zero.

Can we be completey sure Wentz is gonna be the same? Their defense wont be as good as last year. I agree about the Skins injury woes, but the same can be said for almost every team.

11 hours ago, Triskjavikson said:

Now that this game is over, anyone want to make some last-minute predictions about the Raiders but Gruden more specifically?  Is he going to be an above-average coach after all of this time away?  

I think he's going to miss Mack tonight, and Goff is going to love having Cooks to throw to now.  

ETA:  Wow, fire Patricia after one game and Jim Bob no longer a head coaching prospect.  I'm not entirely serious but this is one embarrassing home opener.  

4 wins and Gruden goes sub .500 across this new stint.

I think he may be the most overrated coach in football.

27 minutes ago, The Lasr Storm said:

Can we be completey sure Wentz is gonna be the same? Their defense wont be as good as last year. I agree about the Skins injury woes, but the same can be said for almost every team.

The Eagles have now beaten the Falcons twice, the Vikings and the Patriots without Wentz.  Something tells me they might be able to survive until he returns. 

15 hours ago, dbunting said:

Is there some evil presence in Lake Erie? Something that sucks the talent/brains out of the three teams on/near it? Detroit / Buffalo / Cleveland. Seems like only one of them can have hope at a time and the Lake Erie soul sucker feeds off the other two.

No, but there might be lead in the team's drinking water. 

No game epitomized the pointlessness of pre-season prognostication and that the regular season almost doesn't matter than Texans at Pats.  Oh, did you hear JJ Watt was healthy?  Did you hear that Clowney always has success v the Pats?  Did you hear that Watson is legit!!!?!?!?!?  Oh, and the Pats have no WRs and all that internal strife???  This could be it!!  Its going to be a real game....

And then the game ended on the Texans' first offensive play.  What do we say?  Never put the ball on the ground v. the Pats.  What did the Texans do?  They LITERALLY put the ball on the ground against the Pats.  Ball. Game.  What happened the remaining 57-and-a-half minutes of the game?  Who cares?  None of it mattered.  Brady looked great, Watt was a non-entity in the first half and only marginally more alive in the second; Watson was overwhelmed.  And the Pats D looked far more aggressive and far hungrier than in years past,.  But a completely worthless game as the Texans did what the Texans ALWAYS do against the Pats: believed the hype, then took the field and shat themselves.  Great move guys. 

Oh, and another shitty, in-game performance by Bill O'Brian.  WTF happens to this guy when he gets in the game?  You don't even TRY to call a time out on that Gronk "catch?"  You know why?  Because his fat-face is in the play sheet.  Fuck that.  You have to feel the whole game; you have to see the whole thing and you have to watch every play and you can't do that if your face is in the play sheet.  Stop doing that.  

The only issue I have as a Pats fan is that because ts obvious that everyone overrated the Texans I am not sure how much this win means.  It could be the Texans will get better as the season goes on, I am not sure that will matter if the Texans turn into the Stay-puff Marshmallow man whenever they play the Pats. 

A few other things:

-Aaron Rodgers is the best QB in the NFL right now.  Holy shit that guy is insane.  To be straddled with such a can of lard like Mike McCarthy and still just win games even when suffering from a real injury (I have heard a few people claim he did that for show) is just spectacular.  Oh, and the Bears still suck and Mack can't stop that. 

-I swear to God, somehow watching the Steelers tie was somehow more humiliating for them than watching them just lose.  You tied the Browns you terrible players and your terrible, overrated coach.  What a waste of Antonio Brown.  I just wish the Browns won because I just like the underdog here and I literally think they will have few chances for real wins this season. 

-Fucking legit Ravens playing legitimately.  That team will always scare me.  

-Grats to the Bengals and all their legit fans.  Fuck people like me who shit on them.  Its your team, love them and tell me to go fuck myself when I mock them... in the remaining season which they will likely fuck up.... 

-I am not thrilled with watching Jimmy G.  No question, the 49'ers had a "scheduled loss" against the Vikings, but why oh why did Jimmy G have to look so putrid?  15-33, 1 Td, 3 INTs for a passer rating of 45.1.  Had he thrown one incomplete pass his QB rating would have been 38.9.  This is mind-boggling.  Yes, they just lost their starting RB but, come on!  

-Saints- Bucs was fun. Though, people who picked the Saints to go to the Superbowl after giving up 500+ yards in O and 48 points... yeah, thanks for KO'ing me from my suicide pool after ONE WEEK... fuckers... 

-Nate Peterman had a 0.0 QB rating because he's fucking horrifying.  

-Welcome back to the NFL, John Gruden.  We pass now.

-Which leads me to Matt Patricia, the Belichick coaching tree and what the fuck happened on Monday night.  For starters, if you are a Lions fans (and right there- I am so sorry for you) what you just watched was unreal.  Your team had weeks to prep for their opponent; that opponent started the game with a pick-six; they had a dreadful off-season and pre-season.  Everything looked ripe for a nice quick season-opener win.  Then the 1st quarter reached the half-way point and the Lions season ended with everyone wondering- almost in unison - "Wait... did we all just think a Belichick disciple would help us? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!"  

And that opponent you lost to was the Jets.  The New York Jets!  Fireman Bob showed up!  That's how humiliating that was.  

I bet when your night started you would not think  "Christ; I envy the Colts right now for dodging that bullet."  

I think that the Lions are fucked.  And I am saying that after one game.  Because prior to this game, the Lions HAD ... everything they have now.  They had a running game; they had a tier 1.5 QB; they had great WRs; they had an evolving D.  They were in the playoffs under Jim Caldwell.  Now?  Now you lost by 744 points to the Jets.  They looked horrible,  And Matt Cassell is your back-up.  And LaGarett Blount is one of your 33 Running backs.  

So this dove-tails into the "Belichick-Coaching-Tree" issue, namely that without Tom Brady everyone is worse.  Mike Patricia, Matt Caasell, people not named Matt; Blount- EVERYONE is worse without Brady.  Bill Belichick- the greatest coach in NFL history - continues to make mistakes and those mistakes can be ignored when your QB is Tom Brady.  Nothing else makes sense.  

But if we want to discuss the Belichick coaching tree... they are hit or miss but no homers.  I think Romeo Crennell was a passable-to-good head coach; the Browns have not won 10 wins since the 1990s except with Romeo; Jim Shwartz is a good DC; I give Billy O'Brian a "Not Bad" but he's slipping.  Charlie Weis and Josh McDaniels were both fucking terrible.  

Belichick is also, well, Belichick.  He has this down to a science and he puts his time in.  But more so than anyone else he knows who to delegate authority to (ie: he uses Ernie Adams to watch the clock).  These guys do not have those people around them they can trust (yet).

But yeah Matt Patricia is dreadful.  

But for the start of the season, I am pleased by the Pats start but they did it against a team that all but rolled over for them.  Next week v. the Jags is huge.  

19 minutes ago, Rockroi said:

-I am not thrilled with watching Jimmy G.  No question, the 49'ers had a "scheduled loss" against the Vikings, but why oh why did Jimmy G have to look so putrid?  15-33, 1 Td, 3 INTs for a passer rating of 45.1.  Had he thrown one incomplete pass his QB rating would have been 38.9.  This is mind-boggling.  Yes, they just lost their starting RB but, come on!  

-

They lost their RB in the pre-season and their best WR early in the game.  Plus TWO RGs.  Jimmy G had enough Vikings in his backfield that they paused to write Op-Ed pieces for the NYT.

20 hours ago, Nictarion said:

How are feelings about your boy Bell around town right now?

bet you guys miss the days when you actually had likable stars like Bettis and Polamalu. :P

Oh boy, people are pretty pissed. I can't be mad at him though cause I get why he's holding out. Wish he was here, sure, but I get it. Plus Conner looked good so that helps out a little, but can't replace Bell. Person I'm more annoyed with is Pig Head. Pure crap on Sunday. Could be a wild division this year. 

In regards to being unlikable, on a scale of 1-10, with 10 being Joffrey telling Ser Ilyn to 'Take his head,' I'd say we're like an 8.7. Pretty unlikable team, but entertaining and dramatic all the same. We're like a bad MTV show you just can't take your eyes off. 

18 hours ago, DMC said:

The line indeed was shit.  Their guards still suck, even before the injuries.  The defense did look better than expected, especially down the stretch, but I'm wondering how much that had to do with the Vikings' middling offense - just as how much the Niners' offensive troubles had to do with the Vikings' elite defense.

I wouldn't say the Vikings have a middling offense. The line is average at best, bit Kirk is better than at least half the QBs in the league and our skill position players are second to only the Steelers. The thing is they don't take chances when they have the lead, and they aren't really ever worried about losing it once they get it. As far as the 49ers' offense goes, forget that game even happened. Eight our our 11 defensive starters are Pro Bowlers, two of three remaining starters would start on damn near every team and one guy I left out is a rookie who looked amazing. His play alone caused a 14 point swing in the game, getting a pick six and then breaking up a touchdown just before your RB fumbled at the goal line. I don't think the Niners are a playoff team, but they will be respectable, give you a season to be optimistic about and probably be ready in a year or two to do big things. 

3 hours ago, Rockroi said:

No game epitomized the pointlessness of pre-season prognostication and that the regular season almost doesn't matter than Texans at Pats.  Oh, did you hear JJ Watt was healthy?  Did you hear that Clowney always has success v the Pats?  Did you hear that Watson is legit!!!?!?!?!?  Oh, and the Pats have no WRs and all that internal strife???  This could be it!!  Its going to be a real game....

And then the game ended on the Texans' first offensive play.  What do we say?  Never put the ball on the ground v. the Pats.  What did the Texans do?  They LITERALLY put the ball on the ground against the Pats.  Ball. Game.  What happened the remaining 57-and-a-half minutes of the game?  Who cares?  None of it mattered.  Brady looked great, Watt was a non-entity in the first half and only marginally more alive in the second; Watson was overwhelmed.  And the Pats D looked far more aggressive and far hungrier than in years past,.  But a completely worthless game as the Texans did what the Texans ALWAYS do against the Pats: believed the hype, then took the field and shat themselves.  Great move guys. 

Oh, and another shitty, in-game performance by Bill O'Brian.  WTF happens to this guy when he gets in the game?  You don't even TRY to call a time out on that Gronk "catch?"  You know why?  Because his fat-face is in the play sheet.  Fuck that.  You have to feel the whole game; you have to see the whole thing and you have to watch every play and you can't do that if your face is in the play sheet.  Stop doing that.  

The only issue I have as a Pats fan is that because ts obvious that everyone overrated the Texans I am not sure how much this win means.  It could be the Texans will get better as the season goes on, I am not sure that will matter if the Texans turn into the Stay-puff Marshmallow man whenever they play the Pats. 

A few other things:

-Aaron Rodgers is the best QB in the NFL right now.  Holy shit that guy is insane.  To be straddled with such a can of lard like Mike McCarthy and still just win games even when suffering from a real injury (I have heard a few people claim he did that for show) is just spectacular.  Oh, and the Bears still suck and Mack can't stop that. 

-I swear to God, somehow watching the Steelers tie was somehow more humiliating for them than watching them just lose.  You tied the Browns you terrible players and your terrible, overrated coach.  What a waste of Antonio Brown.  I just wish the Browns won because I just like the underdog here and I literally think they will have few chances for real wins this season. 

-Fucking legit Ravens playing legitimately.  That team will always scare me.  

-Grats to the Bengals and all their legit fans.  Fuck people like me who shit on them.  Its your team, love them and tell me to go fuck myself when I mock them... in the remaining season which they will likely fuck up.... 

-Saints- Bucs was fun. Though, people who picked the Saints to go to the Superbowl after giving up 500+ yards in O and 48 points... yeah, thanks for KO'ing me from my suicide pool after ONE WEEK... fuckers... 

-Nate Peterman had a 0.0 QB rating because he's fucking horrifying.  

-Welcome back to the NFL, John Gruden.  We pass now.

-Which leads me to Matt Patricia, the Belichick coaching tree and what the fuck happened on Monday night.  For starters, if you are a Lions fans (and right there- I am so sorry for you) what you just watched was unreal.  Your team had weeks to prep for their opponent; that opponent started the game with a pick-six; they had a dreadful off-season and pre-season.  Everything looked ripe for a nice quick season-opener win.  Then the 1st quarter reached the half-way point and the Lions season ended with everyone wondering- almost in unison - "Wait... did we all just think a Belichick disciple would help us? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!"  

And that opponent you lost to was the Jets.  The New York Jets!  Fireman Bob showed up!  That's how humiliating that was.  

I bet when your night started you would not think  "Christ; I envy the Colts right now for dodging that bullet."  

I think that the Lions are fucked.  And I am saying that after one game.  Because prior to this game, the Lions HAD ... everything they have now.  They had a running game; they had a tier 1.5 QB; they had great WRs; they had an evolving D.  They were in the playoffs under Jim Caldwell.  Now?  Now you lost by 744 points to the Jets.  They looked horrible,  And Matt Cassell is your back-up.  And LaGarett Blount is one of your 33 Running backs.  

So this dove-tails into the "Belichick-Coaching-Tree" issue, namely that without Tom Brady everyone is worse.  Mike Patricia, Matt Caasell, people not named Matt; Blount- EVERYONE is worse without Brady.  Bill Belichick- the greatest coach in NFL history - continues to make mistakes and those mistakes can be ignored when your QB is Tom Brady.  Nothing else makes sense.  

But if we want to discuss the Belichick coaching tree... they are hit or miss but no homers.  I think Romeo Crennell was a passable-to-good head coach; the Browns have not won 10 wins since the 1990s except with Romeo; Jim Shwartz is a good DC; I give Billy O'Brian a "Not Bad" but he's slipping.  Charlie Weis and Josh McDaniels were both fucking terrible.  

Belichick is also, well, Belichick.  He has this down to a science and he puts his time in.  But more so than anyone else he knows who to delegate authority to (ie: he uses Ernie Adams to watch the clock).  These guys do not have those people around them they can trust (yet).

But yeah Matt Patricia is dreadful.  

But for the start of the season, I am pleased by the Pats start but they did it against a team that all but rolled over for them.  Next week v. the Jags is huge.  

Jags defense is real. 

6 minutes ago, briantw said:

So The Challenge?

I'd go with that show about the kids from West Virginia that had to canceled because one of the stars killed himself in the most WV way ever.

Seriously, there's something that's not right about people form there. I was with a group from WVU while studying and Argentina, and were talking about burning coaches in the streets after losses. Not making that up.

@S John

2 minutes ago, The Lasr Storm said:

Jags defense is real. 

But their QB is backup quality. At best.

It's funny how the QB class from that year has turned out. Bortles is awful. Manziel Manzieled his way out of the league, and can't even cut it in the CFL. Bridgewater was decent and showed promise before that awful injury. Carr looked like the best out the gate, but he's regressing. Handsome Jimmy is an optimistic open question. No one else is worth mentioning.

All in all, a truly terrible class.

Archived