NFL 2018 Week 1: From Wentz You Came

Jace, Extat

25 minutes ago, DMC said:

Kirk will have to convince me he's better than a middling QB.  That performance did not do so.

I think he is middling, just high end middling. Haven't seen you in here in a bit, but I've argued at length that there are a few elite guys, a few good to great guys, a handful of bad to terrible guys and every one from roughly 11-22 is what I call a mirror. They reflect what's around them, so in good situations they can trick you into thinking they're Pro Bowlers and in bad ones you'll think they're worse than they are. Kirk is in an ideal situation, so I think he'll be good enough for us to win, and he adds something Case couldn't, the long ball. 

1 hour ago, Bronn Stone said:

You know, if you are addressing a very small portion of a very large quote, there is no reason you can't delete the rest.  In fact, board etiquette says you  really, really should. @The Lasr Storm

Correct. Damn my no etiquette having self. What is worse, the person who incorrectly follows internet message board posting decorum, or the person who wastes theirs, and everyone elses time pointing it out ( and page space). PMs work also, oh holy defender of the web.

21 minutes ago, The Lasr Storm said:

Correct. Damn my no etiquette having self. What is worse, the person who incorrectly follows internet message board posting decorum, or the person who wastes theirs, and everyone elses time pointing it out ( and page space). PMs work also, oh holy defender of the web.

I think the worst is definitely the one who gets whiny for being reminded of some basic fucking etiquette. You're compounding the time wasted. Of course, so am I by responding to your entitled whining, but I suspect you'll respond too just to keep the moral low ground.

PMs do work too, but a polite public reminder like Bronn gave you reminds other people what not to do, and provides extra opportunities for you to publicly show your ass over a minor correction. Congratulations!

On 9/10/2018 at 7:39 PM, Fez said:

Some things never change for the the Jets. I've been inured to it for a long time.

He has looked relatively good since the pick-6 though; at least on the Jets QB scale.

Totally feel the same way.  When that happened I had a good laugh but remembered he looked pretty good in the preseason.  I was really happy with how he played the rest of the game.  But not ready for "destined for greatness" (don't know how to quote multiple posts).  Just think he has made some good plays, extended plays and seems to stay away from the bone-headed throw - except the first one.

4 hours ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

I'd go with that show about the kids from West Virginia that had to canceled because one of the stars killed himself in the most WV way ever.

Seriously, there's something that's not right about people form there. I was with a group from WVU while studying and Argentina, and were talking about burning coaches in the streets after losses. Not making that up.

@S John

That’s usually after wins, actually.

1 hour ago, The Lasr Storm said:

Jets went from home underdogs to 3 point favorites after monday night. I dont know if Detroit is that bad, reports say the players hate Patricia, or if the Jets defense is for real. After Ansah left the game the Lions looked like they quit.

Home team by -3 is basically the default Vegas line when the sports books don't yet what to make of a team(s). There were a ton of possibilities for this Jets season going in to, and most are still open. The Lions game suggests that "terrible growing pains season from hell for a super young team" is probably not what's going to happen, but no way to tell yet if the Jets are good. Meanwhile, the Dolphins were supposed to be pretty bad as well, but that Titans game was so screwy that its impossible to get a read on what actually happened there.

49 minutes ago, Fez said:

Home team by -3 is basically the default Vegas line when the sports books don't yet what to make of a team(s). There were a ton of possibilities for this Jets season going in to, and most are still open. The Lions game suggests that "terrible growing pains season from hell for a super young team" is probably not what's going to happen, but no way to tell yet if the Jets are good. Meanwhile, the Dolphins were supposed to be pretty bad as well, but that Titans game was so screwy that its impossible to get a read on what actually happened there.

If I was a Jets fan, I’d take away nothing from that game other than Darnold is qualified to be an NFL QB unlike Peterman and Allen and that the defense is at the very least decent. Your team still sucks, but you now at least have a reason to have hope.

Oh, and it sounds like Allen is starting. Poor guy.

17 minutes ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

Damn, they made us drink so much I mixed it up. Still, you must admit this is bizarre behavior, no?  

Haha, well, yes but it's really only for BIG wins, not just any win.  You also have to think of it in the context of Morgantown, which is hard to describe if you've never been there.  Up until about 10-15 years ago, Morgantown was a pretty run down (but fun) mountain town with a seasonal influx of like 25k college students.  It's really hilly and there are bars interspersed everywhere.  And I mean, everywhere.  I would love to see the numbers on bars per capita because Morgantown must be up there. 

Anyway, students lived in old shitty houses all over town and people often had old couches or other furniture out on the front deck for parties and/or general chillin'.  Somehow, at some point, probably in the 60's or 70's, drunk people got into the habit of celebrating big wins in football or basketball by dragging porch furniture off the deck and into the street and setting it on fire.  An impromptu celebratory bonfire, if you will.  This happens at other places too but was common enough in Morgantown that WVU got a reputation for it.  When this happens alcohol is involved 100% of the time.

Nowadays though, the city and school have really cracked down on it.  For one thing there's been a lot of money coming through Morgantown as WVU cashes in on the wave of both research and football money.  The city isn't nearly as dumpy as it used to be.  With new condos and townhouses all over the place its becoming more like, well, everywhere else.  I recently looked into moving back there for a job opportunity, and it's actually kind of expensive to live there now, especially compared with the rest of West Virginia.  I have like 8 cousins who attended WVU, including one who was a firefighter in Morgantown for a while, and basically if you are even caught in the same photo as a flaming couch, dumpster, etc, you are expelled from WVU.  I think it still happens from time to time, but the heyday was really in the 80's and 90's, and the town / student body has largely cleaned up its act.  

35 minutes ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

If I was a Jets fan, I’d take away nothing from that game other than Darnold is qualified to be an NFL QB unlike Peterman and Allen and that the defense is at the very least decent.

For sure. But those were question marks before the game. The Jets have a long history of bad QBs and the Jets defense has not been the thing of beauty it was a few years ago. So just getting those things right is enough to get -3 at home against an also unknown but probably not good Dolphins team.

I'm gonna push back on saying the Jets will suck this year though. I don't think they'll win the division, that isn't happening until Brady's arm falls off, but the whole AFC looks weak enough that a competent Darnold and good defense could be enough to sneak to the 6 seed. Its way too early to say for sure which teams will suck.

Except the Bills. They suck.

1 hour ago, Fez said:

For sure. But those were question marks before the game. The Jets have a long history of bad QBs and the Jets defense has not been the thing of beauty it was a few years ago. So just getting those things right is enough to get -3 at home against an also unknown but probably not good Dolphins team.

I'm gonna push back on saying the Jets will suck this year though. I don't think they'll win the division, that isn't happening until Brady's arm falls off, but the whole AFC looks weak enough that a competent Darnold and good defense could be enough to sneak to the 6 seed. Its way too early to say for sure which teams will suck.

I’m willing to write off the Raiders at this point also. 

Now that I can take time away from a 1 v. 5 fight in the tennis thread…..

2 hours ago, S John said:

Haha, well, yes but it's really only for BIG wins, not just any win.  You also have to think of it in the context of Morgantown, which is hard to describe if you've never been there.  Up until about 10-15 years ago, Morgantown was a pretty run down (but fun) mountain town with a seasonal influx of like 25k college students.  It's really hilly and there are bars interspersed everywhere.  And I mean, everywhere.  I would love to see the numbers on bars per capita because Morgantown must be up there. 

Anyway, students lived in old shitty houses all over town and people often had old couches or other furniture out on the front deck for parties and/or general chillin'.  Somehow, at some point, probably in the 60's or 70's, drunk people got into the habit of celebrating big wins in football or basketball by dragging porch furniture off the deck and into the street and setting it on fire.  An impromptu celebratory bonfire, if you will.  This happens at other places too but was common enough in Morgantown that WVU got a reputation for it.  When this happens alcohol is involved 100% of the time.

Nowadays though, the city and school have really cracked down on it.  For one thing there's been a lot of money coming through Morgantown as WVU cashes in on the wave of both research and football money.  The city isn't nearly as dumpy as it used to be.  With new condos and townhouses all over the place its becoming more like, well, everywhere else.  I recently looked into moving back there for a job opportunity, and it's actually kind of expensive to live there now, especially compared with the rest of West Virginia.  I have like 8 cousins who attended WVU, including one who was a firefighter in Morgantown for a while, and basically if you are even caught in the same photo as a flaming couch, dumpster, etc, you are expelled from WVU.  I think it still happens from time to time, but the heyday was really in the 80's and 90's, and the town / student body has largely cleaned up its act.  

HAHAHA. That’s pretty much exactly how I remember them describing it. It was in 2010 and they said they still burnt the coaches though.

Also, I recall something about a bridge being important. Can’t recall why though.

1 hour ago, Fez said:

The division and conference is weak, but not weak enough to make the Jets look decent. I’d put the over/under for wins at 6. There will be a few games in which Darnold and the defense will click at the same times, but I expect them to mostly struggle, and Darnold will regress a bit once teams get enough tape on him.

Still better than the Bills though. Their over/under should be 1.  

We’re out of the country last weekend through next weekend so I didn’t get to watch either the Bears or the Seahawks lose their opening games in close and apparently entertaining match-ups.  That’s a real pity because they both may have some dull games ahead. 

But, I get lucky with scheduling this weekend that I can watch them play each other on MNF after I arrive back home. 

36 minutes ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

The division and conference is weak, but not weak enough to make the Jets look decent. I’d put the over/under for wins at 6. There will be a few games in which Darnold and the defense will click at the same times, but I expect them to mostly struggle, and Darnold will regress a bit once teams get enough tape on him.

I hate going game-by-game through the schedule, but I just did. I see 5 games where the Jets will be clear underdogs, probably by a wide margin: the two Patriots games, vs.Packers (assuming Rodgers plays), vs.Vikings, and @Jaguars.

The other 10 though? That's one of the easier schedules in the league. I can pretty easily see an 8-8 season for them from here.

2 hours ago, Fez said:

I hate going game-by-game through the schedule, but I just did. I see 5 games where the Jets will be clear underdogs, probably by a wide margin: the two Patriots games, vs.Packers (assuming Rodgers plays), vs.Vikings, and @Jaguars.

The other 10 though? That's one of the easier schedules in the league. I can pretty easily see an 8-8 season for them from here.

If the defense plays like Bowles' defense in Arizona, which it did Monday night, then I could see them having an outside shot at a wildcard.

Archived