NFL 2018 Week 1: From Wentz You Came

Jace, Extat

An old friend was visiting from LA yesterday. Took the occasion to invite handful of other friends and their families over for a cookout. Most of these guys, I hadn't seen in five or six years after being close colleagues in game development.

Everybody except the first invitee had young kids. Young Dante (he's four, can't call him Baby Dante any more) was in heaven, running around with a gang of cohorts, even managing to be gentle with the 16 month old toddling along behind them.

My wife, a little uncertain about how much fun she'd have with unknown people, warmed instantly to the crowd and seemed to really hit it off with the mother of the two kids that our son got closest to. We even all bonded over the bourgeois difficulty of finding parents you like to hang out with as much as the kids like each other.

So that's what I did while the Pats shit all over themselves in the Jacksonville heat. It was such a busy morning to get ready for the party that I literally forgot about football. I remembered there was a game after I closed the grill, checked my phone, and laughed at the score.

I don't think I'll be this apathetic all season, but it's nice that my divorce from the NFL feels... easier than expected.

1 hour ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

That’s a mouthful from a fan of a team with a racist name whose owner says Native Americans like being called said racist name.  

:P

Man, you are summa cum laude. You figured out precisely why I made that joke.

1 hour ago, DanteGabriel said:

It was such a busy morning to get ready for the party that I literally forgot about football. I remembered there was a game after I closed the grill, checked my phone, and laughed at the score.

Josh Gordon: Hard same. 

1 hour ago, DanteGabriel said:

An old friend was visiting from LA yesterday. Took the occasion to invite handful of other friends and their families over for a cookout. Most of these guys, I hadn't seen in five or six years after being close colleagues in game development.

Everybody except the first invitee had young kids. Young Dante (he's four, can't call him Baby Dante any more) was in heaven, running around with a gang of cohorts, even managing to be gentle with the 16 month old toddling along behind them.

My wife, a little uncertain about how much fun she'd have with unknown people, warmed instantly to the crowd and seemed to really hit it off with the mother of the two kids that our son got closest to. We even all bonded over the bourgeois difficulty of finding parents you like to hang out with as much as the kids like each other.

I hear your cookouts are pretty great.  Vontae Davis had a work thing (on a Sunday!) but he tried to make it for the end at least.  Did you see him there?

2 hours ago, Jaime L said:

I mean his name is Daniel Carlson. Nordic AF. Seems pretty clear the Vikings made an overly on-brand (master) race based hiring decision that they came to regret. 

Fortunately Zane Gonzalez will be available as of today. This doesn't constitute legal advice but he's probably the team's best bet for nipping a discrimination lawsuit in the bud. 

You've been out-Browned

Browns signed K Greg Joseph.

Zane Gonzalez — who has had the season nightmares are made of — will be sent packing. We have never heard of Jospeh. He is an UDFA out of Florida Atlantic, where he converted just 69.5 percent of his field goal attempts in Conference USA. We wish the Browns good fortune.

Not nice.

17 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I hear your cookouts are pretty great.  Vontae Davis had a work thing (on a Sunday!) but he tried to make it for the end at least.  Did you see him there?

Yes, but when we started to break out the folding tables for body-slams, he said he'd seen enough, and left.

Carson Weinz to start this Sunday against the Colts.

Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Carson Wentzwas cleared for contact Monday and will start the team's Week 3 game against the Indianapolis Colts.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24711923/carson-wentz-philadelphia-eagles-start-week-3

Will see if we discuss something with a Carson Wentz game before the Wentz thread is closed.

37 minutes ago, Week said:

You've been out-Browned

Not nice.

How is that the decision? Sweet mercy. With a replacement level, Kai Forbath type kicker, they'd be 2-0 right now. Instead they're going the other way and getting an even less proven kicker. 

I guess when you're 1-32-1 as head coach, you've built up enough equity for us to just trust you on this one. 

Josh Gordon - WR - Browns

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports the Patriots are "getting close" to acquiring Josh Gordon.

Remain calm. Gordon to the Patriots would be a true dream outcome for those who took the Gordon plunge in the early/mid-rounds of their draft, but we should not lose sight of the fact that Gordon will be on extremely thin ice wherever he ends up. The Pats are known for giving players second chances. They also known for immediately moving on when those players do not live up to their expectations. Either way, it's hard not to be giddy at the thought of Gordon catching passes from Tom Brady.

!! Randy Moss 2.0? From a personnel move at least -- talent-wise Gordon is not an analogue.

56 minutes ago, Week said:

!! Randy Moss 2.0? From a personnel move at least -- talent-wise Gordon is not an analogue.

Now official -- Josh Gordon to the Pats | 5th rounder to the Browns if he plays 10+ games / 7th rounder if he plays <10 games.

If I read it correctly, the deal is that the Browns send a 7th rounder back to NE if Gordon doesn't suit up for 10 games.

Sure, Josh Gordon is going to keep his shit together, learn the playbook, and earn Brady's trust.

This feels really weird. Pats are flailing at personnel in a way that's hard to remember. Between Gordon, Kenny Britt, and Corey Coleman (cut to make room for Gordon) they've run through the Browns' recent wide receiver room. Heard on the radio driving home that dropping Coleman is the team's 28th WR transaction since the start of the league year. Ugh.

Archived