Does the Dayne's sword Dawn have special characteristics?

orm irian

Is there any evidence that Dawn has similar characteristics to Valerian steel? Could it for instance, kill White Walkers? I know it was forged from a meteor. But the wiki description implies it is kind of opposite of Valerian steel which is dark in color whereas Dawn is white. 

Yes we do have such evidence.  Jaime recalls that when Dayne fought the smiling knight, Dawn slowly chipped away at his sword, and I believe Dayne even eventually lets him pick up a new sword.  He also recalls that the sword cut through his shirt and skin when Dayne no more than touched him with it to knight him.  Meaning the sword is able to hold an incredibly sharp edge without chipping, just like Valyrian steal.

VS is dark, however, and Dawn is "pale as milkglass." It also has a shimmery quality to it as it catches and plays with light, which to me sounds like:

The Other slid forward on silent feet. In its hand was a longsword like none that Will had ever seen. No human metal had gone into the forging of the blade. It was alive with moonlight, translucent, a shard of crystal so thin that it seemed almost to vanish when seen edge on. There was a faint blue shimmer to the thing, a ghost-light that played around its edges, and somehow Will knew it was sharper than any razor.

57 minutes ago, John Suburbs said:

VS is dark, however, and Dawn is "pale as milkglass." It also has a shimmery quality to it as it catches and plays with light, which to me sounds like:

I always theorized that Dawn was connected with the WW since VS is made from dragon FIRE so it is the (FIRE) and Dawn is made with ice magic some how giving it the (ICE) quality. I believe the children of the forrest forged Dawn and also created the orginal WW. 

1 hour ago, Stormking902 said:

I always theorized that Dawn was connected with the WW since VS is made from dragon FIRE so it is the (FIRE) and Dawn is made with ice magic some how giving it the (ICE) quality. I believe the children of the forrest forged Dawn and also created the orginal WW. 

Or it was an ancestral sword of the Others that House Dayne took for themselves, and the Others have been trying to get it back ever since...?

Well, if the story of Dawn's origin is true, that it is made from the metal of a meteorite, then it isn't likely to be ice-magic-forged.  Meteorites glow due to heat from friction as they fall through the atmosphere. So the metal would have been hot when it arrived, then hot again when it was forged into a sword.

If the origin story is true, then Dawn has been around since the first men and could predate the Long Night. If it survived the WW invasion, that could imply that it can fight successfully against WWs and their ice swords. 

Dawn is as pale as milkglass but otherwise seams to share many physical characteristics with Valyrian steel swords.

The World of Ice and Fire - Dorne: The Andals Arrive

... Those who have had the honor of examining it say it looks like no Valyrian steel they know, being pale as milkglass but in all other respects it seems to share the properties of Valyrian blades, being incredibly strong and sharp...

If it is being described as similar to Valyians steel then it is clearly made of metal.  It is just pale rather than dark like Valyrian steel.

The swords wielded by the others are described more like ice or crystal rather than metal. 

Archived