When a commoner is given lands and title, how does he come up with a last name?

shameeka

It is my understanding that commoners have no last name. If a commoner is knighted or given lordship, how does he create his house name?

Davos was a smuggler from Flea Bottom until he was knighted and later became lord of Rainwood. Where did his house name - Seaworth come from? Seaworth sounds like a region name. Maybe Seaworth is a place where his wife and children are currently living.

The founder of house Clegane was a kennelmaster. How did he come up with a name Clegane? My theory is his given name was Clegane and after he was knighted he passed his name to his children as the name of the house.

They just make them up themselves. Duck named himself Duckfield, I'm guessing Davos called himself Seaworth because he was a sailor.

Clegane means "defender of man" in some languages in our own world I think, so is related to the dogs perhaps, or may just be a coincidence. How the kennelmaster came up with it, I have no idea. Maybe the Lannister lord he saved named him it?

28 minutes ago, Shouldve Taken The Black said:

They just make them up themselves. Duck named himself Duckfield, I'm guessing Davos called himself Seaworth because he was a sailor.

Clegane means "defender of man" in some languages in our own world I think, so is related to the dogs perhaps, or may just be a coincidence. How the kennelmaster came up with it, I have no idea. Maybe the Lannister lord he saved named him it?

Stannis gave Davos the name Seaworth, Davos just created his own sigil to represent the onion knight and to humble his children so they never forget where there beginnings lie. 

Other then that you create your own last name, hell many members of the GC have stolen last names from extinct Westerosi houses. 

16 minutes ago, Stormking902 said:

Stannis gave Davos the name Seaworth, Davos just created his own sigil to represent the onion knight and to humble his children so they never forget where there beginnings lie. 

I'm pretty sure Davos chose both his name and his arms for himself, and that does seem to be the normal practice. Seems like a lot of hedge knights just use their place of origin, like Ser Arlan of Pennytree, when they establish a 'ser' name... like the Norman aristocracy in England was awash with the likes of de Berry, de Alencon, de Fallaise etc etc etc.

Some people, like Rolly and Davos, just seem to have more or less imagination than others when it comes to choosing ;)

2 hours ago, Rufus Snow said:

I'm pretty sure Davos chose both his name and his arms for himself, and that does seem to be the normal practice. Seems like a lot of hedge knights just use their place of origin, like Ser Arlan of Pennytree, when they establish a 'ser' name... like the Norman aristocracy in England was awash with the likes of de Berry, de Alencon, de Fallaise etc etc etc.

Some people, like Rolly and Davos, just seem to have more or less imagination than others when it comes to choosing ;)

Those are just hedge knights though, so Arlan of pennytree or Duncan the Tall is acceptable because they have no lands or titles once a knight becomes a landed knight or a LORD for sure I think a name must be givin or else how do you have heirs to pass on your family castle and lands if your last name is of pennytree lol

Thannos of pennytree and is son Donovan of pennytree and his son Elbert of pennytree is kind of confusing and weird lol. 

Lord Stannis had rewarded Davos with choice lands on Cape Wrath, a small keep, and a knight's honors . . . but he had also decreed that he lose a joint of each finger on his left hand, to pay for all his years of smuggling. Davos had submitted, on the condition that Stannis wield the knife himself; he would accept no punishment from lesser hands. The lord had used a butcher's cleaver, the better to cut clean and true. Afterward, Davos had chosen the name Seaworth for his new-made house, and he took for his banner a black ship on a pale grey field—with an onion on its sails. The onetime smuggler was fond of saying that Lord Stannis had done him a boon, by giving him four less fingernails to clean and trim. (ACOK Prologue)

4 hours ago, shameeka said:

It is my understanding that commoners have no last name. If a commoner is knighted or given lordship, how does he create his house name?

If it's anything like our history they would first consult the heralds, or in this case the maesters, and go over the history as they knew it of their family and any deeds that had been done or history that they were a part of that they were proud of and then choose a name and symbols that reflected that.

Alternatively, as has been noted by others, they would choose the place of their birth or instant notoriety and use that. Also, they could just be pragmatic and choose the name of their family's profession, like miller or cooper or something related to that.

29 minutes ago, Trefayne said:

Also, they could just be pragmatic and choose the name of their family's profession, like miller or cooper or something related to that.

Actually, that's a good point - made me wonder how come Janos Slynt had a family name??? He was only an upjumped butcher after all.

13 minutes ago, Rufus Snow said:

Actually, that's a good point - made me wonder how come Janos Slynt had a family name??? He was only an upjumped butcher after all.

I think as you get into a more "middle class" position you might adopt a family name for reasons of pretention. No-one seems to be policing it that much. I mean, the Kettleblacks have a family name for crying out loud.

3 minutes ago, Shouldve Taken The Black said:

I think as you get into a more "middle class" position you might adopt a family name for reasons of pretention. No-one seems to be policing it that much. I mean, the Kettleblacks have a family name for crying out loud.

You're right - standards are clearly slipping :D

(I wonder if they have a long-standing feud with House Potts ....;))

13 minutes ago, Shouldve Taken The Black said:

Perhaps they are descended from tinkerers or ironmongers.

11 minutes ago, Rufus Snow said:

I wonder if they have a long-standing feud with House Potts

He's here all week folks.

3 minutes ago, Trefayne said:

Perhaps they are descended from tinkerers or ironmongers.

Quite possibly.

I think it's pretty much the proper peasantry and urban poor that are the only ones who don't have a second name (although I'm sure there are plenty of exceptions before people provide me with a long list of them). Anyone who has any hope of moving up in the world would probably adopt one pretty swiftly.

6 minutes ago, EloImFizzy said:

They just choose whatever they want, for various different reasons. They might think the name sounds cool, or they might just pick it at random, like Rolly choosing the name Duckfield because when he was knighted it was on a field with ducks on it. 

Makes you wonder how house Manwoody was started lmao. 

On 8/30/2018 at 2:49 AM, Shouldve Taken The Black said:

Clegane means "defender of man" in some languages in our own world I think

No; "Sandor" (an Eastern European variant of "Alexander") means "defender of man". Apparently also women.

Archived