Jon's dream in ADwD

Euron III Greyjoy

In ADwD Jon Snow has a dream, I believe its in one of his last chapters, where he is fighting. This is a passage from that dream.

"Jon was armored in black ice, but his blade burned red in his fist. As the dead men reached the top of the wall he sent them down to die again. He slew a greybeard and a beardless boy, a giant, a gaunt man with filed teeth, a girl with thick red hair. Too late he recognized Ygritte. She was gone as quick as she'd appeared."

Whenever I look this up I find people going over the red blade he's holding, but what I want to know is whats the black ice he's armored in? 

5 minutes ago, EloImFizzy said:

In ADwD Jon Snow has a dream, I believe its in one of his last chapters, where he is fighting. This is a passage from that dream.

"Jon was armored in black ice, but his blade burned red in his fist. As the dead men reached the top of the wall he sent them down to die again. He slew a greybeard and a beardless boy, a giant, a gaunt man with filed teeth, a girl with thick red hair. Too late he recognized Ygritte. She was gone as quick as she'd appeared."

Whenever I look this up I find people going over the red blade he's holding, but what I want to know is whats the black ice he's armored in? 

Oh, look! Jon's first dragon dream.

Black ice? Sounds like dragonglass (frozen fire) to me. Or maybe a suit of armor similar to what Rhaegar wore in his last moments.

1 hour ago, EloImFizzy said:

Bran, as in knowledge of the trees and history.

Aeron's chapter from WoW spoiler:

Spoiler

Euron has a valyrian steel armor.

Obsidian. :eek:

1 hour ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

Oh, look! Jon's first dragon dream.

Black ice? Sounds like dragonglass (frozen fire) to me. Or maybe a suit of armor similar to what Rhaegar wore in his last moments.

It would be interesting to see him wearing armor similar to Rhaegar, but wouldn't it be unfit for the type of climate he's fighting in? Plus where would be get it? Northerners aren't known for their fancy armor. 

32 minutes ago, Sigella said:

Aeron's chapter from WoW spoiler:

Hide contents

Euron has a valyrian steel armor.

Whilst I do think that would be really cool, how would he get the armor? Are you thinking that Sam smuggles it to Jon, since Euron is heading to Oldtown which is where Sam is. Euron doesn't seem like someone that is going to die anytime soon to me. 

4 minutes ago, EloImFizzy said:

Isn't obsidian too brittle to use as armor though?

We don't know if it can be worked somehow, just as steel is magicked into VS. Also, it's a dream and it may not be something that will happen literally as he dreamt.

Can't edit, but wanted to add this to my previous post:

http://web.archive.org/web/20051103091500/nrctc.edu/fhq/vol1iss3/00103009.htm/

Shaw: I wasn't sure if you had added something to obsidian for the fantasy. 

Martin: I've given it magical characteristics that of course real obsidian doesn't necessarily have. After all, we live in a world that has no magic. My world does have magic, so it's a little bit different.

17 minutes ago, EloImFizzy said:

Whilst I do think that would be really cool, how would he get the armor? Are you thinking that Sam smuggles it to Jon, since Euron is heading to Oldtown which is where Sam is. Euron doesn't seem like someone that is going to die anytime soon to me. 

Granted, Jon being dead and all, it is a long shot. 

15 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

We don't know if it can be worked somehow, just as steel is magicked into VS. Also, it's a dream and it may not be something that will happen literally as he dreamt.

Everything around Jon has been done metaphorically so far. The sword and the armor could be the same thing. That said, what's sort of neat about this dream is that Jon knows about Lightbringer because of Mel and Stannis and the passage Maester Aemon asked him to read, but he doesn't know anything about any kind of "black ice" armor.

39 minutes ago, EloImFizzy said:

It would be interesting to see him wearing armor similar to Rhaegar, but wouldn't it be unfit for the type of climate he's fighting in? Plus where would be get it? Northerners aren't known for their fancy armor. 

Maybe he gets it from Daenerys. Or maybe Rhaegar - who obviously knew that the Long Night was coming - had it pre-made for him. Or maybe it's Rhaegar's suit that is refitted for him.

!!!

And let's be real: everything will be unfit for the climate that Jon and everyone else will have to fight in when the Others get through the Wall. They'll just have to make do with what they have.

38 minutes ago, Widow's Watch said:

I think it's dragonglass. I'm just not sure where anyone would find/get an armor made from dragonglass. What's interesting with the dream is that the Wall is no longer holding back the wights.

I don't think it's his first one. 

Did he already have one that I missed? Or are you saying you think he had one "offscreen"?

Because this is the first I've noticed.

I've found this dream to be unfailingly similar to Daenerys dream where she dreamed she was Rhaegar outfitted in dragon armor flying on a dragonback to the frozen-over Trident where she fights blue-eyed ice demons. It's also similar to the creepy sex dream Daenerys has...but that's another story.

Daenerys flying into battle against wights and their masters at the Trident - which has completely frozen over? Jon having to beat back a tide of wights from atop a wall (notice how it doesn't say "The Wall" - GRRM wouldn't make that type of mistake)?

I know dragon dreams are more prophetical than divination, traditional precognition or fortunetelling. Sometimes, dragon dreams aren't even about the future but rather about the present or the past.

That said, damn it, I would hate to live in the Riverlands. I'm sorry but the people there get trashed and trampled on so much...I just couldn't. I'm sure the Tullys are cool and all but give me a one-way ticket to Dorne please.

But yeah: it's going down.

Did he already have one that I missed? Or are you saying you think he had one "offscreen"?

Because this is the first I've noticed.

I'm not really sure what you mean by offscreen, but I think his crypt dreams are extremely reminiscent of Dany's "wake the dragon" dream. 

Daenerys flying into battle against wights and their masters at the Trident - which has completely frozen over? Jon having to beat back a tide of wights from atop a wall (notice how it doesn't say "The Wall" - GRRM wouldn't make that type of mistake)?

You are absolutely right about the spelling of wall. So totally my bad, spelling is very important indeedy. The dream is sort of reminiscent of Mel's vision in her chapter and that vision is reminiscent of Jon's dream of castles burning and dead men getting out of their graves while he is in the Frostfangs.

And there's the dream of the bloody direwolf that he has before he ever finds out about the Red Wedding. Up in the Great Hall, he hears the drums (Jon VIII, ASOS 64).

Jon tends to wake up and never finish his dreams, but the dreams do seem to connect to visions. I think Jon's crypt dreams are dragon dreams. And I think he will have more of them. He seems to be connecting more to his "dragon" side since Mel arrived at the Wall and all the talk of waking dragons from stone started.

12 minutes ago, HoodedCrow said:

Jon could have warged skinchanged into a black dragon with red flames?

FTFY, since warg/warging is exclusively used for wolves. 

And I really don't think so. :dunno:

He's wearing an armor made for the Others.  Which lends credibility to the theory that Jon will get wighted.  Fighting alone because he betrayed his sworn brothers.  Armored in ice, because he was raised by the Others.  His mind was probably preserved in Ghost.  What we basically have is an ice wighted Jon,  with Jon's human mind, wearing the armor of an Other, and maybe wielding Darksister or even Longclaw.  

The passage is part of a whole and you should quote the whole.

Armoured in ice means to be emotionally detached. A burning sword represents justice. Atop the wall represents a position of leadership, his duty. The battle that is raging, dead vs living, that he is fighting, represents the war for the dawn, humanities survival. And he is all alone in this battle.

In summary, the survival of humanity in the war for the dawn is going to come down to Jon's judgement, his ability to separate himself emotionally from hard decisions and make them justly in the interest of humanities survival, regardless of how emotionally painful they may be.

The dead that come at him are manifestations of the guilt he feels by his decisions/inactions/actions.

He must have the ability to send the old and young and endangered to fight and die, and those he loves, and to come back and do it all again next battle. And then again and again and again until it is done. Regardless of the guilt.

But in his dream he still loses. So somewhere he is going wrong.

The dream is demonstrating Jon's flawed logic. He's going to push everyone away and isolate himself to make his duty less difficult. In his dream he blames everyone for abandoning him but in reality he pushed them away and will again.

The pinch is Ygritte, she represents love. He can be the hard assed leader sending thousands to their death for the survival of humanity, he will in fact have to. He can raise himself above having friends. But what he's not supposed to do is stop loving.

Archived