What's going to fill the largest part in TWOW?

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 11:58 AM, King Aegon I Targaryen said:

I might just be completely making this up, but I'm sure at some point I saw GRRM make a comment that Daenerys and Tyrion are going to be the biggest characters in TWoW. I don't know if he meant they will have the most chapters, or that their storylines will have the biggest role in the book. 

Interesting.  I know I heard that they will be apart most of the book (I think Tyrion is going to help rule Meereen while Dany is off with the Dothraki) and when she returns they will meet.

I think Dany and Dorne are going to be the largest parts.  Dany, Tyrion, Barristan, Arianne, Jon Con...that whole gang.

• 1 month later...
On 8/30/2018 at 11:17 PM, Littlefinger's crewman said:

In TwOW there are going to be several plot and POVs, but is there going to be one that will get more place in the book or the plots are going to be all important in the same manner as in AFFC?

Yes. The descriptions of food in winter. GRRM has only described Westerosi cuisine  in eye-watering details during the temperate seasons. 

I anticipate he will shed light on the more austere dining habits of Wintertime this time round. 

• 2 weeks later...

Between Ser Davos finding Rickon, Stannis' war with the Boltons, the possibility of the Vale attacking Winterfell, the Bloodraven plot, the treason at the wall, the Theon and Asha POVs, and the others, I imagine that it will primarily take place in the North. At least for the first act, after which it's hard to tell.

I think the north and the storyline about the others invading and how to defeat them is so behind that it isn t even a contest. 

The other storylines just feel ready for the final arc (danny returning to meereen and invading westeros, faegon trying to win the IT, cersei's final days of rulling…)

And then we look north and they are disorganised and divided, stannis is still around whinning about being the king, the starks are still scatered, jon is still in the NW and hasn t delved into his warging abilities, we know nearly nothing about the others, AA or where to get weapons to defeat them...

In order to finish the series in 2 books by the end of the next book the north must be organised, know about the others, the remaining wildlings must cross the Wall and there must be a plan to get weapons capable of killing the others... 

In the books, Dany won't return to Meereen.

Here's a quote from GRRM's  June 26, 2014 interview with EW's James Hibbard.

I also asked Martin about one extremely eagerly anticipated character pairing: Tyrion and Daenerys. What will their interaction be like?

“Well, Tyrion and Dany will intersect, in a way, but for much of the book they’re still apart,” he says.

The obvious implication is that they will communicate via glass candle, courtesy of Quaithe and Marwyn.

Dany had to go back to Meereen in the show because Dan and Dave made the same decision with her as they did with Bran - Bran would be the only Stark warg, Dany would be the only dragonrider. In the books, there will be other dragonriders, and one of them will take care of Meereen. Dany will meet the Dosh Khaleen, somehow take over, and head west overland, picking up khalasars as she goes. (The idea of transporting even a small khalasar for a long distance by sea is a joke to start with. Dothraki herd horses for a living, surviving off meat and milk. Each warrior owns many horses. Even a small khalasar of 10,000 would have 100,000+ horses. The shipping of the time can't handle that for a long voyage.)

Tyrion, Barristan, and company will capture ships and pull out of Meereen immediately after the Battle of Fire, leaving Dany's children behind with the message of "Time to Grow Up.." They will meet Dany in Pentos. (That's the reason for the Pentos subplot.) Expect them to land on Dragonstone at the end of Winds, thus setting up the Wrong Way Dany story.

To answer the OP - Winds will give us lots of angsty Jon/Ghost, lots of fast talking Tyrion, and lots of idiots in King's Landing. (Cersei, Mace, Arianne.) But in the end, ASoIaF so far has been about rulers who gain power, then fail. Game = Eddard. Clash = Tyrion. Storm = Robb and Tywin. FeastDance = Cersei, Jon, and Dany. Winds will mark the final fatal failures of Stannis and Doran.

21 minutes ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

LOL  That's almost optimistic for you, isn't it?  ;)  Then again, maybe you haven't given up on getting at least Winds? 

Haha.  I guess the idea that expecting Winds to be meandering and bloated and full of filler is optimistic kind of says it all.  While my view on whether he will finish winds varies from probably yes to maybe to possibly not to maybe not, it is still more likely than not that he will eventually release something that is called Winds of Winter. But I absolutely expect it to be the weakest of the series.

• 2 weeks later...

Bran will warg into Tormund Giantsbane, who will challenge the Night King to a dance off. While the Others look on dumbfounded, Arya will take her Other mask off and shank the Night King. There will literally be thirty-two chapters detailing this.

I hate to be a negative Nancy, but I still do not think this ever gets finished.

I mean, we are close to 20 years since GRRM last published a complete, main sequence, ASOIAF novel, Storm in 2000.

I do not count Feast and Dance. Remember they were split so he could complete the story arcs.....and then he did not complete the story arcs.

But fear not! This was supposed to be a boon, as 200-300 pages of Winds were already written! The chapters purged from Feast/Dance gave him a huge head start on Winds and it would be out much faster than Feast & Dance since it was nearly halfway done already!

Whatever. 

Since Dance, GRRM has published: The Wit & Wisdom of Tyrion Lannister (2013), The Princess & The Queen (2013), The Rogue Prince (2014), The World of Ice & Fire (2014), The Ice Dragon (2014, reworked), A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms (2015, compilation), The Sons of the Dragon (2017), Fire & Blood (2018) plus Nightflyers.

Six ASOIAF projects (not counting the compilation), plus reworking Ice Dragon plus Nightflyers. That is one a year. He is not slacking. No writer's block. He just does not seem to write this particular story.

I think he keeps pushing it back until a year or so after the show ends and then admits he is not going to finish it.

Also to be a negative Nancy number two, this subforum dies a little bit more every time the mods close down discussion related to the progress of TWoW. Every bit of guesswork related to the actual plot has been done dozens of times or more, every single option has been laid on the table and dissected. All visible paths have long since been explored, now all that's left for the fans is to wait and see which is the correct one (or if there were more possibilities that could not be seen). The only TWoW-related topic where new elements are actually added to the body of evidence is the progress of the book itself, and that one topic has been declared taboo by the moderators. And when the only topic of discussion worth coming back for is discouraged, and its threads deleted, what reason is there to come back at all?

On 3/8/2019 at 4:41 PM, Kyll.Ing. said:

Also to be a negative Nancy number two, this subforum dies a little bit more every time the mods close down discussion related to the progress of TWoW. Every bit of guesswork related to the actual plot has been done dozens of times or more, every single option has been laid on the table and dissected. All visible paths have long since been explored, now all that's left for the fans is to wait and see which is the correct one (or if there were more possibilities that could not be seen). The only TWoW-related topic where new elements are actually added to the body of evidence is the progress of the book itself, and that one topic has been declared taboo by the moderators. And when the only topic of discussion worth coming back for is discouraged, and its threads deleted, what reason is there to come back at all?

Agreed. 

Perhaps some fresh sample chapters as a show of good faith? At least we'd have something to talk about along with (perhaps) some evidence that progress is being made.

I really hope it's the North storylines and the Wall. It is called "The Winds of Winter", after all. 

Dany's chapters are going to be such a drag, though. If they're written the way they were in ADWD, then I'll spend all my time reading them banging my head against a wall. 

3 hours ago, Plain, Simple Tailor said:

I really hope it's the North storylines and the Wall. It is called "The Winds of Winter", after all. 

Dany's chapters are going to be such a drag, though. If they're written the way they were in ADWD, then I'll spend all my time reading them banging my head against a wall. 

Hopefully, they will be better. She should be close to kicking butt amongst the Dothraki once they realize she rides a dragon.

And once she returns to the battle, on a dragon, with a bunch of Dothraki behind her, she will be in kick-butt mode as well.

Dany in kick-butt mode is so much better than moon over Daario mode.

The rest of those chapters will be battle chapters from Tyrion's or Barristan's perspective. Or possibly Victarion's. Those should be good.

1 hour ago, YouKnowNothingJonSnow said:

Dany in kick-butt mode is so much better than moon over Daario mode.

Honestly, I didn’t even mind the Daario stuff. I found Dany’s infatuation with him interesting. For me, it was the fact that the entire Meereen plot was just so nothing. It felt like stalling until Dany got to the slave pit so her storyline could actually begin. 

• 1 month later...

Archived