Should Jon have taken Stannis' offer?

Euron III Greyjoy

Should Jon have accepted Stannis' offer to become Jon Stark, Lord of Winterfell and Warden of the North, and marry the wildling Princess Val. 

On one hand, with Jon looking like everything a Stark should be, it would have been easier to recruit men to fight against the Boltons. Plus whilst recruiting these people Jon could have told them about whats going on North of the Wall. On the other hand the new Lord Commander of the Nights Watch would have probably been Janos Slynt, who doesn't give a shit about the wildlings, and would have left them to die North of the Wall. 

This is just one argument for each side, to be honest I don't really know which option would have been right myself. I look forward to seeing your opinions on the matter. 

Hanging around with the Starks will always end up getting you killed

the dummy should've taken the offer, since Stannis saved his life and help get him elected

besides as Lord/King in the north, he has more manpower to bring the VAST NUMBER OF WILDLINGS into his kingdom and gave them more than enough land and he would've had at least 50k army hanging around while he is banging the brains out of the VAL

now he's dead and stoooopid

1 hour ago, Frey Kings said:

besides as Lord/King in the north, he has more manpower to bring the VAST NUMBER OF WILDLINGS into his kingdom and gave them more than enough land and he would've had at least 50k army hanging around while he is banging the brains out of the VAL

Reading this comment made me ask my self - what would happen if the warden of the north had contrary plans to the LC of the NW. Who would win out?

Jon's hold on Winterfell would have been rather shaky. at least at first. Yes, he is Ned's son, but he's a bastard born on some commoner. None of the northern lords are likely to have ever met him and would have no reason to believe anything but the common tripe about bastards being devious and untrustworthy. Plus, his title comes from a southron king-wannabe who has yet to build any allegiance in the north and who doesn't even have Winterfell yet. Maybe in time he could gain the lords' respect, but he would have to carefully navigate the sticky situation with fArya and the fact that most of the northern lords are not ready to defy the Iron Throne just yet.

So, as tempting as it was, I think Jon made the right decision by staying in the NW where he has built a reputation around his actions and character, not the circumstances of his birth.

12 minutes ago, Legitimate_Bastard said:

Reading this comment made me ask my self - what would happen if the warden of the north had contrary plans to the LC of the NW. Who would win out?

All of the castles on the Wall are defenseless against an attack on the south. If push came to shove, a united north could easily overwhelm the NW, particularly now that its manpower is running extremely low.

1 minute ago, John Suburbs said:

All of the castles on the Wall are defenseless against an attack on the south. If push came to shove, a united north could easily overwhelm the NW, particularly now that its manpower is running extremely low.

I mean with regard to policy. If the LC said "we are letting in the wildlings", does the warden trump the LC if he says "no"? I know the castles on the wall were designed so that the NW could not go rogue.

I guess I see it as similar to a police chief in a city vs. the sheriff of a county that city is in. Clash of jurisdictions kind of thing.

1 hour ago, Frey Kings said:

Hanging around with the Starks will always end up getting you killed

the dummy should've taken the offer, since Stannis saved his life and help get him elected

now he's dead and stoooopid

You know I have this sneaking suspicion that you have a biased hatred of anything Stark related. xD

1 minute ago, Legitimate_Bastard said:

I mean with regard to policy. If the LC said "we are letting in the wildlings", does the warden trump the LC if he says "no"? I know the castles on the wall were designed so that the NW could not go rogue.

I guess I see it as similar to a police chief in a city vs. the sheriff of a county that city is in. Clash of jurisdictions kind of thing.

Hmm, good question. The LC has command of the Wall, so he can decide who to let through I suppose, and then the NW has jurisdiction over the Gift. But the king has final say over the entire realm, and the wardens are representatives of the king and act in his name. So I guess if the king were to rule that wildlings are not welcome in the realm, then the warden would be sent to make things right -- and most likely the LC would be removed.

If the wildlings in the Gift were to start raiding northern lands, of course, then the lord overseeing those lands would be duty-bound to act.

Archived