Skagos - Rickon and Davos

Legitimate_Bastard

Well there are two broad options. One is that Davos returns with Rickon alone, while the Skagosi remain on their island to die an isolated, offscreen death as the Others overrun their territory. This would seem a terrible waste of pages taking the plot on a brief but meaningless diversion to this distant  corner of Westeros.

The other option is that the Skags use Rickon to negotiate safe passage to the mainland and survival for their people. This is by far the more likely outcome, and the net resut is an army of at least a few thousand wild Skagosi suporting Rickon on his return to the North.

8 hours ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

Well there are two broad options. One is that Davos returns with Rickon alone, while the Skagosi remain on their island to die an isolated, offscreen death as the Others overrun their territory. This would seem a terrible waste of pages taking the plot on a brief but meaningless diversion to this distant  corner of Westeros.

The other option is that the Skags use Rickon to negotiate safe passage to the mainland and survival for their people. This is by far the more likely outcome, and the net resut is an army of at least a few thousand wild Skagosi suporting Rickon on his return to the North.

I wonder if Osha has a connection to the isle - I suppose she must to have gone there. She must see some safety there. I can see Rickon and Osha not wanting to leave when Davos arrives.

I hope the first Davos chapter occurs in Skaagos and his journey is depicted through memories. I don't want much travelogue.

Winter, Osha and the Skaagoshi will make Rickon much closer to wildlings and mountain clans than northmen. I believe their arc will be connected somehow to Hardhome, the Others attack and evacuation

On 9/1/2018 at 1:47 PM, Littlefinger's crewman said:

I think the island and his inhabitants will have made Rickon wilder, stronger and grown (physically and mentally). He wil have got more similar to Shaggydog and he will fit the sthereotype of the Northener man:  wild, brutal and strong.

As far as I can tell, less than 3 years have passed since Ned went to KL.  Rickon is going to be 6 years old at this point.  I don't think he'll have much relevance at all.  

31 minutes ago, argonak said:

As far as I can tell, less than 3 years have passed since Ned went to KL.  Rickon is going to be 6 years old at this point.  I don't think he'll have much relevance at all.  

We can only hope he is a means to introduce unicorns.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2018 at 2:11 PM, Legitimate_Bastard said:

I wonder if Osha has a connection to the isle - I suppose she must to have gone there. She must see some safety there. I can see Rickon and Osha not wanting to leave when Davos arrives.

This could be close 

Theres clearly some connections and shared culture between northmmen,crannogmen, skagosi  and wildlings etc a vist to the skagosi could help ram this home...,they are probably like the northen clans and wildlings , similar peoples divided only by a wall

I believe that rickon will be the lord of winterfell come the end of the story with his wolf, shaggydog, name being an irony that him being third born should have never had an interesting life, but instead he became House starks last hope. He will most likely be a rallying point for the north and also provide safe passage for skagos. GRRM has made it so bear island, the mountain clans, last hearth, karhold, hornwood, and soon the dreadfort, and the glovers have all lost vast manpower in there armies. I believe this is so the others can overrun about half the north with ease  so they seem more of a threat. Skagos being completely uninhabited with the aid of rickon would only solidify my point and make the others journey south quicker and more daunting for the humans. 

On 9/15/2018 at 3:17 PM, hodorisfaclessman said:

This could be close 

Theres clearly some connections and shared culture between northmmen,crannogmen, skagosi  and wildlings etc a vist to the skagosi could help ram this home...,they are probably like the northen clans and wildlings , similar peoples divided only by a wall

I agree - I bet the Skagosi have maintained a cultural memory/fear of the others. I would imagine that during the long night Skagos was a point of refuge. I see Skagos as a launch pad in to the fight against the others. 

11 hours ago, Legitimate_Bastard said:

I agree - I bet the Skagosi have maintained a cultural memory/fear of the others. I would imagine that during the long night Skagos was a point of refuge. I see Skagos as a launch pad in to the fight against the others. 

Agreed plus they killed a stark who tried to subdue them before they finaly were ....they were clearly capable of puttingup  fierce reistance so could have uses 

4 hours ago, hodorisfaclessman said:

Agreed plus they killed a stark who tried to subdue them before they finaly were ....they were clearly capable of puttingup  fierce reistance so could have uses 

Since just about everything in ASOIAF has a deeper meaning I bet that Stark who traveled to Skagos is significant somehow.

I can't figure out if Cotter Pyke and Harmune are perhaps on Skane - if they were on board one of the two Lyseni ships that ran aground there could potentially be a meetup for Davos, Rickon, Osha, Cotter Pyke, Harmune.

If the ships Cotter used to transport the wildlings south are on Skane that would be interesting.

I could see something that mirrors the Feast of Skane happening.

Also, in the Wiki its says this: 

By the time Cotter arrives at Hardhome, he has lost five ships and the wildlings are eating their own dead. The undead are lurking in the woods and in the waters. Cotter sends a raven to Jon Snow, pleading him to send help by land, since the weather was very harsh on the seas.[13] His current fate is unknown. 

If the undead are amphibious wouldn't the wall be redundant? I don't think they are but I find the wording interesting - I need to find the quote.

I think there is so much potential with this part of the story.

I believe they will set Rickon up as a slightly more rounded character by the time we meet him again. He will be still a very young child, obviously, but I believe the evil reputation Skagos will be turned on its head, and that they may be more help than hindrance to the Starks moving forward. They also have a lot of dragonglass, so...

27 minutes ago, Magnar of Skagos said:

I believe they will set Rickon up as a slightly more rounded character by the time we meet him again. He will be still a very young child, obviously, but I believe the evil reputation Skagos will be turned on its head, and that they may be more help than hindrance to the Starks moving forward. They also have a lot of dragonglass, so...

I totally agree. Something along the lines of the practices everyone considers barbaric, cannibalism etc. being an action that prevents the coming of the others. Blood sacrifices. Or something... I love these ideas.

On 9/16/2018 at 3:32 AM, •Brandon Ice Eyes said:

I believe that rickon will be the lord of winterfell come the end of the story with his wolf, shaggydog, name being an irony that him being third born should have never had an interesting life, but instead he became House starks last hope. He will most likely be a rallying point for the north and also provide safe passage for skagos. GRRM has made it so bear island, the mountain clans, last hearth, karhold, hornwood, and soon the dreadfort, and the glovers have all lost vast manpower in there armies. I believe this is so the others can overrun about half the north with ease  so they seem more of a threat. Skagos being completely uninhabited with the aid of rickon would only solidify my point and make the others journey south quicker and more daunting for the humans. 

I would think most of the islands are likekly to be completly safe unless the long night also freezes the oceans.  The Others don't seem to have any naval capacity.

• 1 month later...
On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 4:47 PM, Littlefinger's crewman said:

I think the island and his inhabitants will have made Rickon wilder, stronger and grown (physically and mentally). He wil have got more similar to Shaggydog and he will fit the sthereotype of the Northener man:  wild, brutal and strong.

I am 100% a fan boy Stark . What is the leanings of the Stonemen  ? It was 100 years since the Stonemen's rebellion against the Starks .

On 9/2/2018 at 12:44 AM, Free Northman Reborn said:

True, I think first, that Davos will likely find himself thrown into a dungeon. He may know the words to sway Osha and Rickon, and he may pass a sniff test by Shaggydog. 

Davos likely will bring a few thousand Skagosi on unicorns (possibly Elasmotherium) to aid Stannis and the Northmen. It is said that the Starks forbid the Skagosi the sea, possibly meaning they were forbidden from maintaining fleets, contributing to their isolation since an island needs ships for trade as well as for defense. Davos could likely negotiate with the Skagosi into getting Stannis to overturn that centuries-old ruling. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/27/2018 at 7:07 PM, Fire Eater said:

True, I think first, that Davos will likely find himself thrown into a dungeon. He may know the words to sway Osha and Rickon, and he may pass a sniff test by Shaggydog. 

Davos likely will bring a few thousand Skagosi on unicorns (possibly Elasmotherium) to aid Stannis and the Northmen. It is said that the Starks forbid the Skagosi the sea, possibly meaning they were forbidden from maintaining fleets, contributing to their isolation since an island needs ships for trade as well as for defense. Davos could likely negotiate with the Skagosi into getting Stannis to overturn that centuries-old ruling. 

love the idea of Skagosi unicorns being Elasmotherium. This plotline is hands down the one I'm most hyped for. Was kinda hoping the next Dunk and Egg where they supposedly go to Winterfell would come out before the next book. I feel like it might have necessary foreshadowing to Davos' arc if it goes into the Skagos rebellion around the time, causes and aftermath. Definitely feel the Skagosi harbor resentment towards the Starks and rest of the North over that. This makes things very dangerous for Osha and Rickon, possibly causing them to hide their identities. This also makes Davos quest a lot harder and he very well might find himself in a dungeon for various reasons. Either because of Osha or Lord Magner. something tells me no ones going to trust him.

I'm hoping he sets his sights on rescuing everyone at Hardhome. I could see him using whatever influence he has on White Harbor to call for Manderly's ships to save everyone. As one group of people is saved though, another may be doomed. this could leave White Harbor much weaker, and open to an attack. I have a bad feeling about Littlefinger's notion of regaining the North starting with sacking the perceived Bolton loyal White Harbor. that's another story though. 

Archived