U.S. Politics: A Song Of Mimes And Musicians

Mr. Chatywin et al.

I honestly can't understand the GOP strategy of going after federal worker's pay raise right before an election.  Trump's base isn't going to vote for him anymore at this point, they're already 100% on board.  All this will do is tick off people who might have voted for him, or might not have voted at all.  

Racist robocalls mar Florida’s race for governor

https://www.politico.com/states/florida/story/2018/08/31/racist-robocalls-mar-floridas-race-for-governor-589468

TALLAHASSEE — A neo-Nazi group began bombarding the phones of Florida Democratic voters Friday with a robocall narrated by a person who mocks the party’s first African-American gubernatorial nominee, Andrew Gillum, in a black minstrel-style voice as jungle noises play in the background.

The automated calls were issued by the Road to Power, an Idaho-based white supremacist group linked to other racist robocall campaigns in Charlottesville, Va., Oregon and California, according to the Tallahassee Democrat, which first reportedthe calls and is the hometown newspaper of Gillum, the city’s mayor.

21 minutes ago, Casablanca Birdie said:

What the heck is this this title?!!?????????

Hopefully someone puts the mime into the Star Wars cantina.

GOP's Meme War Attempt Backfires As Old Ted Cruz Mime Pic Goes Viral

Texas Republicans tried to mock Beto O'Rourke with old photos. It didn't go well.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5b876ff7e4b0cf7b00320ae0/amp

21 minutes ago, Casablanca Birdie said:

What the heck is this this title?!!?????????

See above. You need to pay attention to the important things, not some minor trade deal between the U.S. and Canada that could cause both of our economies to implode. 

#priorities

Not sure if this is new, but Donny Fat Fingers won't be too happy:

Washington (CNN)A Justice Department lawyer whose ties to the infamous dossier about President Donald Trump and Russia has drawn the ire of Republicans told House lawmakers that he was told Russian intelligence thought they had the then-candidate "over a barrel" during the 2016 campaign, a source with knowledge of the testimony told CNN.

................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Ohr, a 30-year Justice Department veteran, has been attacked repeatedly by Trump and his conservative allies for his connection to Steele and the opposition research dossier containing salacious and unverified information on Trump and Russia. The President called for Ohr to be fired ahead of his congressional testimony.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/31/politics/bruce-ohr-christopher-steele-donald-trump/index.html

Wrong Kind of Security: Georgia Makes It Hard for Overseas Voters to Register Online

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/08/wrong-kind-of-security-georgia-obstructs-overseas-voting.html

The state of Georgia has blocked all foreign internet traffic to its online voter registration site, BuzzFeed News has learned, a move that would do little to deter hackers but blocks absentee voters….

The decision has outraged technologists and voting groups. In theory, it’s meant as a security measure, based on the idea that a person visiting the site is more likely to be a foreign hacker. But in practice, it has the opposite effect: Georgians abroad who don’t know how to reroute their internet traffic with tools like virtual private networks (VPNs) or Tor will be prevented from registering to vote.

1 hour ago, Martell Spy said:

Hopefully someone puts the mime into the Star Wars cantina.

GOP's Meme War Attempt Backfires As Old Ted Cruz Mime Pic Goes Viral

Texas Republicans tried to mock Beto O'Rourke with old photos. It didn't go well.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5b876ff7e4b0cf7b00320ae0/amp

1 hour ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

See above. You need to pay attention to the important things, not some minor trade deal between the U.S. and Canada that could cause both of our economies to implode. 

#priorities

I am perfectly aware of that story, but it's such a minor story compared to everything else going on , let's just say it struck me dumb.

1 hour ago, Martell Spy said:

Wrong Kind of Security: Georgia Makes It Hard for Overseas Voters to Register Online

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/08/wrong-kind-of-security-georgia-obstructs-overseas-voting.html

Like hackers don't know how to get around that.  What a bunch of half brained idiots.

I'd be curious to see who is actually being impacted by the change.  My guess would be vets are hit the hardest.  Nothing like policies that make it as difficult as possible for those putting their lives on the line to vote.

3 hours ago, Casablanca Birdie said:

I am perfectly aware of that story, but it's such a minor story compared to everything else going on , let's just say it struck me dumb.

Its certainly large-ish news up here. 

(I moved back to Canada)

Trump needs a win. The best way to get it is to beat up on someone else. Of course, his supporters wil cheer anything that comes out of his mouth so it almost doesn’t matter how the trade negotiations go (for him).

Some people may think Aretha Franklin belongs more properly in the entertainment forum, than the political one. But her whole life and work was about living in the political landscape that was and still is the USA.  Her work in so many ways illuminated this, as well as transported us.

Carol Cooper's wonderful piece on the Queen of Soul in the last days of the Village Voice explains so well, why this is so.

https://www.villagevoice.com/2018/08/17/aretha-the-voice-of-america/

BTW, as we were speaking of adjuncting just before this thread opened, Carol is yet another of NYU's adjuncts from the pool of professional talent living in Manhattan -- she teaches at the Clive Davis school of music -- history of recorded music and how to write meaningfully about it.

It may be difficult for anyone born after 1980 to fully grasp how important Aretha Franklin has been to America. There is simply no longer any national context or political narrative that adequately explains it. She began as just a small girl whose remarkable voice was big enough to convey all the frustrated yearnings of an oppressed people, and all the unfulfilled promise of a great nation . . . .

. . . . As the “civil rights decade” transitioned into the “black-power decade,” all music became more political. Singer-songwriters like Isaac Hayes and Curtis Mayfield produced protest and empowerment anthems. Marvin Gaye’s What’s Going On and Stevie Wonder’s Where I’m Coming From took Motown into the political arena. White pop musicians from Elvis to Joni Mitchell included anti-war and ecological themes in their set lists. Within this increasingly topical and diverse musical atmosphere, Aretha’s signature renditions of “Respect,” “Don’t Let Me Lose This Dream,” and “Young, Gifted, and Black” were especially valued for their political subtexts as well as an ability to encourage fallen fighters not to give up hope. As a child in the Sixties and Seventies, I watched nightly news broadcasts in which political violence seemed to be everywhere, at home and abroad. People were frightened and angry. But the musical response to my trepidation was not the destructive rage of N.W.A’s “Fuck tha Police,” but softer, sweeter, more constructive songs. Aretha’s choruses exhorted us to have courage, to endure. Lyrics like “Baby, baby, be strong/Baby, baby, hold on” would thread their way through “Lose This Dream” like the balm of Gilead. . . . 

Additionally, observing both of these national profile funerals as political party hay-making, I have a question to which that nobody (among my acquaintance) seems to have answer: why didn't the Obamas attend Aretha Franklin's funeral yesterday?  He is speaking at McCain's, but how long does it take to fly from Detroit to D.C. -- an hour, maximum, right?  So this seems inexplicable. 

I just assume they considered it a bit too stressful to attend both events, esp. since Obama was/is supposed to speak at McCain's - which would then have lead to people asking him to speak at Aretha's, too. Or they didn't like the look of "funeral hopping". Or there were some events scheduled around McCain's funeral he had to attend. Again he is speaking at the funeral, so I presume he had to speak to the McCain's beforehand, get his notes and speech in order. It's not like you walk in 5 minutes before you speak, with little to no preparation - well the current President probably would do that, but let's assume Obama didn't want to look like a jackass.

But really, ask the Obamas when you run into them. I am curious, too.

Archived