U.S. Politics: A Song Of Mimes And Musicians

Mr. Chatywin et al.

2 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

This is what a Republican moderate looks like. Susan Collins, who is perfectly fine with a bunch of men telling millions of American women what to do with their body for the next 30 years. 

Susan Collins’ Choice
Brett Kavanaugh will be a vote to overturn Roe v. Wade. If the Maine senator helps confirm him, her political career could be in the balance.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/09/susan-collins-brett-kavanaugh-roe-v-wade.html

And that is why every dumb fuck Democrat that voted person instead of party is useless. Democrats voting for Collins have given us this situation. They could have voted for their own party. Their own party could have tried to win the seat. Big Nopes

48 minutes ago, Crazy Cat Lady in Training said:

Question. Since it's obvious that Congress isn't going to do its job and remove him...what if Pence is the source? He IS an elected official. Does that make a difference?

Rumor is: It is Pence. He is quite the Lodestar. 

6 hours ago, Kalbear said:

It's not 'my way' - software is fairly good at being meritocratic (it's not perfect, but it is better than a lot of industries), and people get promoted based on their skill.

And senior people take time to develop, and there just aren't that many of them and the demand for them is huge. 

There's a reason silicon valley and seattle have absurd housing costs, because tech companies are throwing absurd money at these people to get them to work for them. We can't just wave a magic wand and get people who are good at math and computer science and work well under pressure and have years working with the tech stack people want, any more than we can magically create welders with 5 years of experience. 

Again, this is an argument that was persuasive for a while, but after more than a decade of controversy regarding this program, it doesn't really work any more. There are much more plausible reasons for the tech companies to like this program with by far the most obvious being that competition drives down salaries (yes, they're still high relative to the other jobs, but they'd be even higher without this). A more subtle reason is that because of their legal status and usually also their upbringing, they're willing to put up with both working and living conditions which most Americans would object to.

28 minutes ago, Altherion said:

Again, this is an argument that was persuasive for a while, but after more than a decade of controversy regarding this program, it doesn't really work any more. There are much more plausible reasons for the tech companies to like this program with by far the most obvious being that competition drives down salaries (yes, they're still high relative to the other jobs, but they'd be even higher without this). A more subtle reason is that because of their legal status and usually also their upbringing, they're willing to put up with both working and living conditions which most Americans would object to.

Bad coffee? Non ergonomic keyboards? 

22 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

Bad coffee? Non ergonomic keyboards? 

Whippings will continue until morale improves.

1 hour ago, Frog Eater said:

Rumor is: It is Pence. He is quite the Lodestar. 

Nah.  He's not going to burn himself with the base like that. 

Conway's skeletal fingers are all over this.

1 hour ago, lokisnow said:

And that is why every dumb fuck Democrat that voted person instead of party is useless. Democrats voting for Collins have given us this situation. They could have voted for their own party. Their own party could have tried to win the seat. Big Nopes

I approve of this message.

9 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

Nice.

2 hours ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

I don't know if I should LOL or #headdesk

Yes Donny, you may very well be......

In my best church lady voice.

4 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

For one moment, Rubio almost had my respect.  An event so tiny and so fast, that it can hardly be said to have occurred at all.

Jones is a whiny little ass.  But what a salesman!

Watchmen reference.

I love it!

That op-ed makes me seethe. "Oh this is totally the situation in which the 25th amendment is intended to be used, but that sounds like a lot of trouble for my party, so I can't be bothered and I'll just try to be a puppeteer." Fuck that. Either the President is dangerously incompetent and needs to be removed for office, or you need to faithfully execute the duties of your position as given to you by the duly-elected President.

The fact that you're justifying it to yourself based on the awful fucking policies that the Rs have managed to pass is just a cherry on top of this shit sundae.

4 hours ago, Serious Callers Only said:

Sad that none of this matters though. This is all theater by the Republican Mafia, he is basically seated already. Even in the long shot chance he is not confirmed, another  interchangeable Federalist Society ideologue will sprout up in his place.

10 hours ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

We also tend to overlook or forget that despite the blatant stupidity of the man, he is a master manipulator of the media, and he has been since the 80's. 

Nah.

All Trump has in the way of 'media manipulation' is a saying so old that it's become a banal truism: you can fool all of the people some of the time or some of the people all of the time. 

His business career has been based on the latter and so is his political career. As well as a heaping pile of luck, in the latter case. 

A 'master media manipulator' would not face daily bad press, would be able to control the media agenda by means other than spewing out loud distractions, and would have a strategy rather than lurching from one crisis to the next. What you have in Trump is someone whose personal style accidentally benefits from several existing vulnerabilities in the way our media works. This is by happenstance, not design. There is no cunning mind behind it. 

A Pivotal Moment for Hungry Americans

A Republican plan to restrict food aid could reverse years of progress.

https://newrepublic.com/article/151077/pivotal-moment-hungry-americans

Raising eligibility standards in this manner would cut SNAP benefits for two million households, according to an analysis published Thursday by Mathematica Policy Research and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. That’s higher than an earlier estimate by the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, which found that the bill would cut or reduce assistance for 1 million low-income households. According to Mathematica, 34 percent of the affected households include a senior, 23 percent include children, and 11 percent include a person with a disability.

Archived