Lady Stoneheart excelent character or bad addition that lessened effect of Red wedding

Kandrax

Personally I never liked LSH. I like my dead characters to stay dead. Now GRRM does change it up a little bit by having consequences to dead characters dying, but still.

I assume he has a very specific goal or reason for her so I will be interested what it is when it's all said and done but hopefully it's truly something only she could do. 
So as of now, not a fan. If it turns out to be this great reason why he did it and it all makes sense, maybe I will be on board then.

I know I am also going to be upset about Jon Snow when he comes back as well, sigh. 

You need to see where it is going before you make this sort of proclamation. She wants Jaime for a purpose and I doubt it is just to hang him. I think she will be the one to bring Jon Snow back to life by giving up her own. If it really is just mindless vengeance then yeah I possibly could have done without her, but I don't think it will be like that.

34 minutes ago, Makk said:

You need to see where it is going before you make this sort of proclamation. She wants Jaime for a purpose and I doubt it is just to hang him. I think she will be the one to bring Jon Snow back to life by giving up her own. If it really is just mindless vengeance then yeah I possibly could have done without her, but I don't think it will be like that.

For me, she’s just as likely to hang Jon.

On 9/1/2018 at 3:14 PM, Silver Bullet 1985 said:

The Stoneheart character is one of many examples in the books of the destructiveness and the futility of revenge.  There is a need for justice.  But the pursuit of justice taken too far led to the murders of Petyr and Merret Frey as well as the execution of Janos Slynt.  None of these killings served the greater good.  

:agree:

2 hours ago, Makk said:

The logistics of that makes Lady Stoneheart being the one to resurrect Jon fairly unlikely.  She's too far away from the Wall.  And in the meantime, we already have a shadowbinder red priest, Melisandre up at the Wall taking a strong interest in Jon. 

But considering that Lady Stoneheart is basically, Cat's "shadow self" brought back without Cat's humanity to temper it, it seems unlikely that she will come to Jon's aid even if she was in the right place to do so.  One of Cat's negative personality traits is her possessive attitude towards Winterfell being the rightful inheritance of her bloodline.  This is why she dislikes Jon Snow so much.  She fears that he will steal her children's claim to Winterfell. 

And on the flip side, one of Jon's guilty thoughts is his desire to have Winterfell for his own.  Even after he turns down Stannis' offer, he continues to have dreams of killing Robb and claiming Winterfell for himself, and then there is that incident in the practice yard, where he goes into a beserker rage:

And then the years were gone, and he was back at Winterfell once more, wearing a quilted leather coat in place of mail and plate.  His sword was made of wood, and it was Robb who stood facing him, not Iron Emmett.

Every morning they had trained together, since they were big enough to walk; Snow and Stark, spinning and slashing about the wards of Winterfell, shouting and laughing, sometimes crying when there was no one else to see.  They were not little boys when they fought, but knights and might heroes.  "I'm Prince Aemon the Dragonknight," Jon would call out, and Robb would shout back, "Well I'm Florian the Fool."  Or Robb would say, "I'm the Young Dragon," and Jon would reply, "I'm Ser Ryam Redwyne."

That morning he called it first.  "I'm Lord of Winterfell!" he cried, as he had a hundred times before.  Only this time, this time, Robb had answered, "You can't be Lord of Winterfell, you're bastard-born.  My lady mother says you can't ever be Lord of Winterfell."

I thought I had forgotten that.  Jon could taste blood in his mouth, from the blow he'd taken.

In the end Halder and Horse had to pull himaway from Iron Emmett, one man on either arm.  The ranger sat on the ground dazed, his shield half in splinters, the visor of his helm knocked askew, and his sword six yards away.  "Jon, enough," Halder was shouting, "he's down, you disarmed him.  Enough!"

No.  Not enough.  Never enough.

So if Jon's resurrection brings his "shadow self" to the fore, as it seems to have done with Cat, then I think we're looking at quite the confrontation, assuming both at some point turn their eyes towards Winterfell.

Lessened because she didn't die?  I don't know.  It seems like a fate worse than death.  Catelyn did foolish things but she didn't deserve to turn out like an instrument of revenge  It was Jaime who started the war and Tywin who took what should have been a judicial matter and turned into full blown war.  Raiding the river lands and Tully's innocent vassals for what Catelyn did was an extremely brutal act and and over reaction.  

2 hours ago, Frey family reunion said:

The logistics of that makes Lady Stoneheart being the one to resurrect Jon fairly unlikely.  She's too far away from the Wall.  And in the meantime, we already have a shadowbinder red priest, Melisandre up at the Wall taking a strong interest in Jon. 

But considering that Lady Stoneheart is basically, Cat's "shadow self" brought back without Cat's humanity to temper it, it seems unlikely that she will come to Jon's aid even if she was in the right place to do so.  One of Cat's negative personality traits is her possessive attitude towards Winterfell being the rightful inheritance of her bloodline.  This is why she dislikes Jon Snow so much.  She fears that he will steal her children's claim to Winterfell. 

And on the flip side, one of Jon's guilty thoughts is his desire to have Winterfell for his own.  Even after he turns down Stannis' offer, he continues to have dreams of killing Robb and claiming Winterfell for himself, and then there is that incident in the practice yard, where he goes into a beserker rage:

So if Jon's resurrection brings his "shadow self" to the fore, as it seems to have done with Cat, then I think we're looking at quite the confrontation, assuming both at some point turn their eyes towards Winterfell.

The ones most likely to bring Snow Flake back to life are the white walkers.  There is no precedent for Melisandre having done this.  A wighted Jon could make him somewhat interesting.  

2 hours ago, Son of Man said:

The ones most likely to bring Snow Flake back to life are the white walkers.  There is no precedent for Melisandre having done this.  A wighted Jon could make him somewhat interesting.  

Not really. Wights just attack anything they see. 

I'm not a fan of Stoneheart at all. It just took away from Catelyn's character and provides a rather pointless plot thread in a very cluttered story. She wasn't necessary to show people hate the Freys. She wasn't necessary to illustrate the pointlessness of war. She isn't necessary to test Brienne and Jaime's loyalty to one another, that could've happened in other ways. She pretty much ruined the awesome concept of the Brotherhood without Banners and turned them into just one more group of assholes. It's almost like Martin just gave into the emerging fad of zombies at the time.  Other than a surprise WTF moment, she's brought nothing positive.

Archived