Simple solution to Jon's parentage reveal and bending the knee

deja vu

Many questions have been asked about how and when Jon will be revealed as the true-born son of Rhaegar and Lyanna, about how the Northern Houses will react to the news that Jon has bent the knee to Daenerys, and how those same Lords and Ladies (not forgetting Lyanna Mormont and Alys Karstark) will digest the news that the erstwhile King in the North is a Targaryen. This post lays out a theory of how these issues could be resolved simply and quickly as is needed to fit within a 6-episode final season, with 2 of those episodes devoted to major battles. 

Jon's knee-bending will be old news in the North by the time he arrives at Winterfell. Many people witnessed or heard about the events at the Dragon Pit parley, and ravens would have carried the news throughout Westeros. The news would have caused drama and denunciations among the Northerners gathered in the council chambers at Winterfell. With the debate raging, what would keep Bran (as the 3-eyed raven, he is the voice of the Old Gods) and Sam (the voice of the Citadel) quiet about Jon's parentage? There would be no reason for either of them not to let their northern allies in on the secret that, in fact, Jon's claim to be the Targaryen heir is better than Dany's. If the northerners doubt Bran and Sam, Bran can suggest they summon Howland Reed, who was an eyewitness to events at the Tower of Joy.

On evaluating the situation, the northerners would realize that, while they have reason to distrust any Targaryen, they have even more recent reasons to hate and distrust the current Lannister regime. And with the threat from the Army of the Dead fast-approaching, there is no time for the living to focus on battles over succession. So when Jon and Dany present themselves to the Northern council, Sansa explains that the decision has already been made to bend the knee to the Targaryen heir, Aegon Targaryen, who has, until recently, been known as Jon Snow.

And, oh by the way, much thanks to King Aegon’s aunt for bringing her dragons to fight the zombies.

This scenario simplifies the drama by confining it to the new tension between Jon and Dany. That would be fun.

What do you think

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2018 at 2:06 AM, deja vu said:

Many questions have been asked about how and when Jon will be revealed as the true-born son of Rhaegar and Lyanna, about how the Northern Houses will react to the news that Jon has bent the knee to Daenerys, and how those same Lords and Ladies (not forgetting Lyanna Mormont and Alys Karstark) will digest the news that the erstwhile King in the North is a Targaryen. This post lays out a theory of how these issues could be resolved simply and quickly as is needed to fit within a 6-episode final season, with 2 of those episodes devoted to major battles. 

Jon's knee-bending will be old news in the North by the time he arrives at Winterfell. Many people witnessed or heard about the events at the Dragon Pit parley, and ravens would have carried the news throughout Westeros. The news would have caused drama and denunciations among the Northerners gathered in the council chambers at Winterfell. With the debate raging, what would keep Bran (as the 3-eyed raven, he is the voice of the Old Gods) and Sam (the voice of the Citadel) quiet about Jon's parentage? There would be no reason for either of them not to let their northern allies in on the secret that, in fact, Jon's claim to be the Targaryen heir is better than Dany's. If the northerners doubt Bran and Sam, Bran can suggest they summon Howland Reed, who was an eyewitness to events at the Tower of Joy.

On evaluating the situation, the northerners would realize that, while they have reason to distrust any Targaryen, they have even more recent reasons to hate and distrust the current Lannister regime. And with the threat from the Army of the Dead fast-approaching, there is no time for the living to focus on battles over succession. So when Jon and Dany present themselves to the Northern council, Sansa explains that the decision has already been made to bend the knee to the Targaryen heir, Aegon Targaryen, who has, until recently, been known as Jon Snow.

And, oh by the way, much thanks to King Aegon’s aunt for bringing her dragons to fight the zombies.

This scenario simplifies the drama by confining it to the new tension between Jon and Dany. That would be fun.

What do you think

I like this.  I could imagine Sansa telling Daenerys "We've already agreed to bend the knee to the rightful heir to the Targaryen dynasty."  Dany smiles.  Cut back to Sansa.  "Aegon Targaryen."  Sansa looks over at Jon.  "The legitimate son of Rhaegar Targaryen and Lyanna Targaryen, formerly called Jon Snow.  He's already king in the north."  The northern lords didn't know so this has led to shouting throughout the room.  Jon and Dany exchange looks because Jon didn't know this yet either.  Music swells, roll credits.  

7 hours ago, YoungGriff89 said:

I like this.  I could imagine Sansa telling Daenerys "We've already agreed to bend the knee to the rightful heir to the Targaryen dynasty."  Dany smiles.  Cut back to Sansa.  "Aegon Targaryen."  Sansa looks over at Jon.  "The legitimate son of Rhaegar Targaryen and Lyanna Targaryen, formerly called Jon Snow.  He's already king in the north."  The northern lords didn't know so this has led to shouting throughout the room.  Jon and Dany exchange looks because Jon didn't know this yet either.  Music swells, roll credits.  

On 9/1/2018 at 2:06 AM, deja vu said:

What do you think

And then Dany, her Dragons, the unsullied and Dothraki all leave. Jon and the North promptly get wiped out by the Others, and Dany is once again rightful heir. 

Stupid plan. 

^ an alternative is that Jon takes the dragons. Drogon likes him. He is a Targ.

Both Arya and Bran can warg. And its been confirmed that all Starks have that ability.

If Dany get's miffed about something and plans to leave, I would not put trickery past Jon. Not when it comes to defeating the NK.

Jon doesnt need Dany or the unsullied. Just dragons (which can be acquired  by warg or Targ) and dragon-glass (which he now has). 

I could be wrong, so wrong - but there are signs that make me wonder.

2 hours ago, Lady Ren said:

^ an alternative is that Jon takes the dragons. Drogon likes him. He is a Targ.

Both Arya and Bran can warg. And its been confirmed that all Starks have that ability.

If Dany get's miffed about something and plans to leave, I would not put trickery past Jon. Not when it comes to defeating the NK.

Jon doesnt need Dany or the unsullied. Just dragons (which can be acquired  by warg or Targ) and dragon-glass (which he now has). 

I could be wrong, so wrong - but there are signs that make me wonder.

He needs the manpower, they are about to be attacked from the south as well. Dragons are not the end all be all, we already seen one dropped by the night kings, and that was a minor skirmish. 

The have the vale at WF along with Northern armies and wildlings.

And the unsullied are not acclimated to winter. They would just be more numbers for the NK.

I agree with this "simple solution". Jon has knelt but as the KitN. The legitimacy of his claim to the North is already bring questioned by the Northern lords. 

He has a much more legit claim to the Iron Throne. 

The simple solution is Dany who. She better hope she is pregnant. Or that Jon does love her. 

4 hours ago, Lady Ren said:

The have the vale at WF along with Northern armies and wildlings.

And the unsullied are not acclimated to winter. They would just be more numbers for the NK.

I agree with this "simple solution". Jon has knelt but as the KitN. The legitimacy of his claim to the North is already bring questioned by the Northern lords. 

He has a much more legit claim to the Iron Throne. 

The simple solution is Dany who. She better hope she is pregnant. Or that Jon does love her. 

Well, they can acclimate now, or acclimate later, because winter in not just in the North, it is at Kings Landing as well in season 8. All of Jon's forces, plus the Vale were barely enough to retake WF, your kidding yourself to think he has the manpower to take on the NK. 

10 hours ago, Error-504 said:

Well, they can acclimate now, or acclimate later, because winter in not just in the North, it is at Kings Landing as well in season 8. All of Jon's forces, plus the Vale were barely enough to retake WF, your kidding yourself to think he has the manpower to take on the NK. 

What i was getting at was Ramseys 20 good men versus stannis' mercenary army that is not even from westeros. They were starved and weak. The unsullied are unprepared. And when/if they die they will belong to the NK. 

Magic will play a huge role and dragons. I dont think hand to hand combat will make a difference. Could be wrong though.

5 hours ago, Lady Ren said:

What i was getting at was Ramseys 20 good men versus stannis' mercenary army that is not even from westeros. They were starved and weak. The unsullied are unprepared. And when/if they die they will belong to the NK. 

Magic will play a huge role and dragons. I dont think hand to hand combat will make a difference. Could be wrong though.

Your going to need hand to hand combat to get to the Others. Each Other that dies, a portion of the undead army dies with it. We learned this last season. My feelings is that each "Other" controls a certain faction of the Undead army, and there is only so many each can control. I am sure proximity has a large part to do with it as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived