Number of secret identities you believe to exist in the series and how they will be revealed

Will all secret identities be revealed at the same chapter with some sort of declaration or will it take more chapters for it? Is there any chance that secret identities will be revealed in appendix like Jyanna Reed? Or will the writer reveal them in the interviews after books are finished like Rugen being Varys?

36 minutes ago, Prince Yourwetdream Aeryn said:

Will all secret identities be revealed at the same chapter with some sort of declaration or will it take more chapters for it? Is there any chance that secret identities will be revealed in appendix like Jyanna Reed? Or will the writer reveal them in the interviews after books are finished like Rugen being Varys?

secret identities are revealed in the next book. Like Barristan

There are four secret identities that are essentially givens: Pate (Jaqen), Alleras (Sarella Sand), Quiet Isle gravedigger (Sandor Clegane), and Robert Strong (Gregor Clegane).

Sam or Gilly will realize or discover that Alleras is a girl, and she will tell them who she is.  Sandor will reappear is someone else's story probably Brienne or Sansa) and say where he's been.  Gregor will lose a fight and be exposed as a fraud.  no idea about Jaqen.

I also think Lem Lemoncloak is really Richard Lonmouth (Rhaegar's squire), and Ashara Dayne is really either Septa Lemore (my head) or Jyana Reed (my heart).   Lonmouth might be recognized by Jaime, and Ashara will tell someone who she is.

1 hour ago, Silver Bullet 1985 said:

Aegon, Jon Connington, Bael the Bard, The Harpy, Ser Shadrich, Arstan Whitebeard, Pate, Alleras.

Only Ser Shadrich (Howland Reed), Pate (Jaqen), The Harpy (Gallaza Galare), and Alleras (Sarella sand) have yet to be revealed.  Revelations will come on its own time.  

I do not believe that Ser Shadrich is Howland Reed (or anyone else important).   The Harpy is more of a secret activity than a secret identity.  All of the others are known, named individuals apparently living in secret someplace.

It seems like a lot of secret identities and hidden motives and secret missions and alliances were revealed at the end of the Dunk & Egg story, The Mystery Knight. GRRM may have been preparing us to expect a lot of hidden identities in the main series.

The Hooded Man at Winterfell has also yet to be revealed. 

3 hours ago, Silver Bullet 1985 said:

Aegon, Jon Connington, Bael the Bard, The Harpy, Ser Shadrich, Arstan Whitebeard, Pate, Alleras.

Only Ser Shadrich (Howland Reed), Pate (Jaqen), The Harpy (Gallaza Galare), and Alleras (Sarella sand) have yet to be revealed.  Revelations will come on its own time.  

:agree:

The secret may be revealed to the audience but kept from the being known within the books.  My guesses for a few of them.

1.  Robert Strong = Robb Stark's head on Gregor Clegane's body.
  2. Harpy = the Green Grace
  3. Griffin = a Blackfyre
  4. Lemore = Ashara

4 hours ago, Seams said:

It seems like a lot of secret identities and hidden motives and secret missions and alliances were revealed at the end of the Dunk & Egg story, The Mystery Knight. GRRM may have been preparing us to expect a lot of hidden identities in the main series.

I agree. While the forum hates secret identities, the author loves them. A lot. To get a proper sense of their role in the series, you need to consider all of the secret identities already revealed and those who are secret to others in-series, but were never secret to the reader.

Adding the secret identities which the reader knows are yet to be revealed (all of the Stark kids, Stoneheart, Jeyne Poole, no one thinks Bloodraven is still around...), secret identities which characters only had for a time (Barristan, whatever's up with Mel, Theon, Catelyn & KL, Jaime, Brienne, Tyrion, Cersei (used to dress as a boy), Joff, Myrcella and Tommen Hill as Baratheons...), and add characters who seem likely to have secret identities like those listed upthread, the list becomes massive.

10 hours ago, Seams said:

I think you are right, as much as I think the hidden identity thing is overplayed (maybe because of this website), I think either Martin enjoys it, or he has done it to set a precedent for a hidden identity that help set the entire series off.

1. Jon Snow - Aegon VII Targaryen (7 because fAegon will be 6).
  2. Quaithe - Shiera Seastar and the three-eyed crow.
  3. Varys and his sister Serra - Blackfyres.
  4. The Ghost of High Heart - Rohanne Webber-Lannister, the Red Widow, is mother of Jenny of Oldstones, and maternal grandmother of Varys.
  5. fAegon - Blackfyre.
  6. Septa Lemore - Lady Jayne Swann and fAegon's mother (the father is Barristan Selmy).
  7. Jyanna Reed - Ashara Dayne.
  8. Hooded man in Winterfell - Howland Reed.
  9. Edric Dayne - third child of Ashara Dayne/Jyanna Reed and Howland Reed.
  10. Coldhands - Benjen Stark.
  11. Harpy - Green Grace.
  12. Robert Strong - the Mountain.
  13. Alleras - Sarella.
  14. Pate - Jaquen.
  15. The Knight of the Laughing Tree - Lyanna Stark.
  16. Littlefinger is descendant of first Lord Whent (the Bastard of Harrenhall, who was son of Jeyne Lothstone and Aegon IV).
  17. Serenei of Lys, mother of Shiera Seastar, and last mistress of Aegon IV, was actually Aegon's mother, Larra Rogare.
  18. Mother of Larra Rogare is Johanna Swann, the Black Swan of Lys.
  19. The Tattered Prince - the Wandering Wolf, Rodrik Stark.
  20. Pretty Meris - Wenda the White Fawn, member of Kingswood Brotherhood.

All will be revealed in the books.

Hidden or secret identities are a big thing in this series and as much as I personally hate it, I think the following could be possible, from most to least likely.

Jon Snow = Lyanna and Rhaegar's son, not Ned and Wylla's.
Alleras "The Sphinx" = Sarella Sand
The Gravedigger = Sandor Clegane
Robert Strong = The Mountain, or at least the body of the Mountain and the head of someone else.
Pate = Jaqen

Richard Lonmouth = "Lem" Lemoncloak
Young Griff = A Blackfyre pretender, Sera and Illyrio's son.
The Hooded Man = Harwin
Quaithe = Probably Sheira Seastar

Ser Shadwich "The Mad Mouse" = Nobody in particular but the idea of him being a secret crannogman spy is cool.
Septa Lemore = I actually like the idea of her being Tyene's mother or Malora Hightower "The Mad Maid". (I guess Ashara is possible too though I *hate* the Ashara theory because the lack of mention of her eyes would be horribly cheap to me.)
Ser Bronn of the Blackwater = The last living son of House Reyne would be fun.
Dario Naharis = At a massive stretch he could be Euron Greyjoy eventhoughIpersonallyreallyreallydontthinkheis. 

Some of these I'll concede are almost certainly true, others I think are just cute little theories that we fans came up with because we were bored and looking for the next WTF moment. :P

I'm quoting @Megorova because of the long, inclusive list:

1 hour ago, Megorova said:
  1. Jon Snow - Aegon VII Targaryen (7 because fAegon will be 6).
  2. Quaithe - Shiera Seastar and the three-eyed crow.
  3. Varys and his sister Serra - Blackfyres.
  4. The Ghost of High Heart - Rohanne Webber-Lannister, the Red Widow, is mother of Jenny of Oldstones, and maternal grandmother of Varys.
  5. fAegon - Blackfyre.
  6. Septa Lemore - Lady Jayne Swann and fAegon's mother (the father is Barristan Selmy).
  7. Jyanna Reed - Ashara Dayne.
  8. Hooded man in Winterfell - Howland Reed.
  9. Edric Dayne - third child of Ashara Dayne/Jyanna Reed and Howland Reed.
  10. Coldhands - Benjen Stark.
  11. Harpy - Green Grace.
  12. Robert Strong - the Mountain.
  13. Alleras - Sarella.
  14. Pate - Jaquen.
  15. The Knight of the Laughing Tree - Lyanna Stark.
  16. Littlefinger is descendant of first Lord Whent (the Bastard of Harrenhall, who was son of Jeyne Lothstone and Aegon IV).
  17. Serenei of Lys, mother of Shiera Seastar, and last mistress of Aegon IV, was actually Aegon's mother, Larra Rogare.
  18. Mother of Larra Rogare is Johanna Swann, the Black Swan of Lys.
  19. The Tattered Prince - the Wandering Wolf, Rodrik Stark.
  20. Pretty Meris - Wenda the White Fawn, member of Kingswood Brotherhood.

All will be revealed in the books.

In there, bolded means I agree, italics means I am leaning towards it, but not 100% yet, and red italics is me painting a target on my back and donning a tinpot crack-foil hat: maybe Varys is Serra???

As for Coldhands, I'll take GRRM's word for it: he is NOT Benjen.

The other one I don't accept in the slightest is Lem being Richard Lonmouth. Lem is a peasant - listen to him talk, he's a common foot slogger, a basic grunt, not a Prince's squire, even one who's fallen on hard times.

I think we will also find that Septa Mordane was either Lyanna Stark or Ashara Dayne. The fact that her head was next to Ned's on the wall of the Red Keep is a signal to me that she was someone important whose identity was hidden. Because of the interesting parallel to the beheading of the direwolf Lady, instigated by Cersei, I suspect that Septa Mordane was Lyanna.

It's not just Sandor Clegane who is secretly hidden away at Quiet Isle. 

Elder Brother is a complete mystery and of much higher birth than he pretends to be. I would put my money on him being Richard Lonmouth, if anything. The story he gave Brienne doesn't have to be 100% accurate. For a man who is so isolated on his little isle, he sure as hell knows a lot and has some of the most accurate information in the story. The mention of Rhaegar's rubies and waiting for the seventh will never not sound like some kind of a bat signal for the people who live there. And Quiet Isle seems full of secrets that are just waiting to be revealed.

Lemore is clearly someone and if she is Ashara (and I'd rather Ashara be dead), then not mentioning her eye color is a bit stupid. But the implication that she might be Ashara would have some really interesting ramifications, especially if she really was at Starfall when Ned brought Dawn back. She may know about Jon and she would have spent years with Aegon and Jon Connington, so what those two know would become interesting. She would serve to bring both stories together.

I'm assuming the Alayne secret will come out. Robert Strong, there are people who already suspect who he is. 

I don't think Quaithe is Shiera Seastar. This always bothers me because this speculation would not remotely exist if we didn't have the side material in which her name is mentioned twice. And this is another case of why not mention her eye color? Shiera's eyes were two different colors. Her mask is wooden (we don't know what kind of wood it is) but painted red which is a bit of a callback to another character who wears a wooden mask Morna White Mask. 

Melisandre is another character who we know has a different identity. But whether her Melony identity goes beyond her being a girl sold into slavery is another matter. But we know she's been around for a really long time.

I don't think Bronn, the Mad Mouse are anyone in particular and I don't think Varys is more than what he says he is. 

30 minutes ago, Widow's Watch said:

Elder Brother is a complete mystery and of much higher birth than he pretends to be. I would put my money on him being Richard Lonmouth, if anything. The story he gave Brienne doesn't have to be 100% accurate. For a man who is so isolated on his little isle, he sure as hell knows a lot and has some of the most accurate information in the story. The mention of Rhaegar's rubies and waiting for the seventh will never not sound like some kind of a bat signal for the people who live there. And Quiet Isle seems full of secrets that are just waiting to be revealed.

I like that - a much better fit than that scuzzball Lemoncloak :cheers:

2 hours ago, Widow's Watch said:

I'm pretty sure there would've been a hint on him being Richard Lonmouth. I can't see anything in the tekst that alludes to him being Richard Lonmouth.

Him knowing basic information about the ongoings in the Riverlands don't allude to him having some secret identity.

17 hours ago, Seams said:

Dunk and Egg have three more novellas planned iirc so we haven't seen the end of it yet.

Also the form of novella has anther structure than full novels so if you look closely there is a secret identity revealed before both climax and twist in every novella. Egg/Aegon before Dunk's trial by combat (climax) and Baelor's death (twist) in tHK, ser Justace turing out traitor before Dunk's showdown with the Longinch (climax) and Rohanne marrying ser Justace (twist) in tSS, the Fiddler/Blackfyre pretender before Dunk's showdown in the Sept (climax) and Bloodraven descending on Whitewalls (twist).

Due to this I don't think we can glean anything from D&E in this regard. 

Archived