Will Dany die in childbirth?

F1reandBl00d

There's been a lot of speculation that all of the mentions of Dany's inability to conceive in the last season is perhaps foreshadowing that she will become pregnant in season 8 (I totally think that's going to happen). However, do you think that if that is the case that Dany will die in childbirth, like her and Jon's mothers? I personally think that having Dany die in childbirth would be such an awful ending to her story-- it's such a mundane way to go, especially for the Mother of Dragons.

Mirri Maz Duur's prophecy was a result of Dany asking her when Drogo would be as he was before he was injured, not when she would see him again, so I'm reluctant to believe if that prophecy means her death in childbirth. There's also all of the stuff in the House of the Undying, but I don't think that has anything to do with dying in childbirth.

What do you guys think?

There are a number of peple who believe Daenerys will die in pregnancy. Perhaps it might be modified somewhat in her
suffering mortal injuries battling the NK, then delivering her child (children), and then dying from her injuries rather
than from childbirth itself. This could make it a little less mundane and satisfy the hero part of her split personality.

Daenerys' vision from the House of the Undying has been viewed by many as foreshadowing her own fate. The third part
of the vision (utilizing her dragons and their firepower to battle oppression) certainly has come true. In the first
part of her vision she reaches out but does not touch the thrown which is covered in snow. This might mean she is 
destined not to achieve the thrown with the snow representing Jon who is the rightful heir. She also looks up and sees the
roof is demolished. If you listen carefully, it is almost inaudible, while she does this the theme of the white walkers
is playing in the background. Perhaps this just symbolizes that the NK will reach Kings Landing. However, IMHO, it might
alternatively mean that her fate is not meant to be on the Iron Throne but instead lies with the WW's.

In the second part of the vision she goes out into a snowstorm north of the wall where she comes across a hut where she
meets Drogo and her first child. She initially states "perhaps I am dead but don't know it yet". Some people interpret this
as meaning Daenerys will die and end up woth Drogo and her first child at the end of the show. The three of them will then cross over to the land of the dead (Drogo stated he has refused to do so until she joined them). Alternatively, during
this scene Drogo calls her on two occasions "the moon of my life". This may be a parallel to the story of the Night's King
(not the same entity as the Night King in the TV series) of legend who took an Other as his wife and she became the Night
Queen. Her skin was described in the legend as being "as pale as the moon". This latter issue may portend that Daenerys'
fate lies north of the wall with her sacrificing herslf to become the Night Queen. She would then rule Westeros north of
the wall where she will also reunite with Drogo and her first child. This would satisfy her obsession to rule and would
complete her arc as moving from fire to ice. This is another interpretation of the story with its title of "A Song of Ice
and Fire". In this scenerio she would of course have her second child before she sacrifices herself. The child would then
be raised by Jon if he survives once he battles and destroy's the NK or by other people if he does not survive. 

On 8/20/2018 at 2:28 PM, honeyed chicken said:

The idea that Stannis would die at Brienne's sword is not one I can buy - that's just too neat and Martin rarely does neat - he does unexpected.

Full disclosure... I didn't read past this comment.  I agree.  In the books Brienne is a much more... inexperienced and naive woman, but also a sweeter woman.  After her first kill, I have a hard time seeing her seeking vengeance.

Archived