Bizarre Quotes Appreciation Thread

The Sunland Lord

I'm sure that all of you have got to a sentence in the series where you say - "Wait what did I just read?" Here I'm thinking of things you read and they just pulled you out of track. 

I'll start with this:

"Even so, the selling left a foul taste in his mouth. Taking a man as thrall or a woman as a salt wife, that was right and proper, but men were not goats or fowl to be bought and sold for gold." (A Dance with Dragons, The Iron Suitor).

I find this thought of Victarion's to be hysterical. 

I quite enjoy Tyrion's thoughts on many matters, but especially his little ode to religious tolerance:

Light our fire and protect us from the dark, blah blah, light our way and keep us toasty warm, the night is dark and full of terrors, save us from the scary things, and blah blah blah some more.

A Feast for Crows - Samwell V

"Born amidst salt and smoke, beneath a bleeding star. I know the prophecy." Marwyn turned his head and spat a gob of red phlegm onto the floor. "Not that I would trust it. Gorghan of Old Ghis once wrote that a prophecy is like a treacherous woman. She takes your member in her mouth, and you moan with the pleasure of it and think, how sweet, how fine, how good this is . . . and then her teeth snap shut and your moans turn to screams. That is the nature of prophecy, said Gorghan. Prophecy will bite your prick off every time." He chewed a bit. "Still . . ."

I remember stopping in my tracks when I read that line about prophecy.  It delivers the same message as the following Tyrion quote but in a much more shocking way!

A Dance with Dragons - Tyrion IX

"Prophecy is like a half-trained mule," he complained to Jorah Mormont. "It looks as though it might be useful, but the moment you trust in it, it kicks you in the head.

I don't think that the characters in these books are going to be well served by their efforts to interpret the various prophecies presented to us and by extension I doubt fans of the books will be much more successful.  Thankfully the rl consequences for being wrong are not nearly as severe!  :P

Archived