Who would you say is the ultimate good guy\girl on Game of Thrones?

Feologild

Without a doubt it is Jon. He is the moral compass of the show and the character that is on the more deontological side of the spectrum from an ethics perspective. 

There are lots of ways where this comes out but one interesting one is to just notice his relationship to killing and taking life. 

Most of the principal protagonists alive have been so warped by the violence they have sufferred and comitted that they now enjoy inflicting it on others. Sansa smiles as she feeds Ramsey to his dogs. Arya glees when she scratches names off her list. Dany gets turned on as she feeds a master to her dragons. 

Jon still abhors killing people as he tells Dany and as his father did. He hates being forced to take life. 

On the show? 

Jon is probably the ultimate good guy. I thought for a while they were trying really hard to have Dany be the ultimate good girl. I still think they are pushing it now and again but it's not as obvious as Jon. 

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Apoplexy said:

On the show, as others have said it's probably Jon. Also, has Tyrion done anything questionable on the show? I can't remember if he did. And Brienne is the honorable knight in the show and the books, despite not being knighted.

I woild call killing your father and ex lover pretty questionable. Taking Shae to Kl even though your father threatened to kill her if you took her is pretty questionable. Using wildfire to keep fucking Joffrey on the throne also seems somewhat open to debate. 

11 hours ago, jcmontea said:

I woild call killing your father and ex lover pretty questionable. Taking Shae to Kl even though your father threatened to kill her if you took her is pretty questionable. Using wildfire to keep fucking Joffrey on the throne also seems somewhat open to debate. 

I would consider the murders questionable too. I've been talking to a lot of friends who are casual show viewers recently, so I suppose I had that at the back of my mind. And most of them tend to excuse tyrion for the murders, claiming that tywin wanted him dead and shae attacked him.

As for the wildfire, he didn't do it just too keep Joffrey on the throne. It was self preservation and family loyalty too. 

On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 9:32 AM, jcmontea said:

And add that Tyrion, did those things because he wanted to make sure he got Casterly Rock and when he was assured that he would never get that, he went through and forcibly married Sansa Stark when she clearly did not want to but felt that she had no choice. 

The Imp has made some selfish decisions but some people have to look for them through all of the bullshit the show tries to glorify him with. 

Gilly, without doubt. and her baby.

Though, throwing "deontological" into this inquiry is quite over the top for this show -- or anything on HBO.  No Greek tragedy or philosophy -- or even undergrad community college level content in that building, ya know?  :read: :cheers:

On 9/22/2018 at 10:09 PM, Apoplexy said:

I would consider the murders questionable too. I've been talking to a lot of friends who are casual show viewers recently, so I suppose I had that at the back of my mind. And most of them tend to excuse tyrion for the murders, claiming that tywin wanted him dead and shae attacked him.

As for the wildfire, he didn't do it just too keep Joffrey on the throne. It was self preservation and family loyalty too. 

could excuse Shae’s death because she technically went for the knife first, that’s self-defense. 

On 9/21/2018 at 6:45 PM, Apoplexy said:

On the show, as others have said it's probably Jon. 

I agree. I don’t agree with Brienne being honorable, since she abandoned Sansa to rape and torture while she galavanted off to decapitate Stannis.

9 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

could excuse Shae’s death because she technically went for the knife first, that’s self-defense. 

This scene was a little different in the books and that tends to influence my opinion about Tyrion killing Shae.

9 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

I agree. I don’t agree with Brienne being honorable, since she abandoned Sansa to rape and torture while she galavanted off to decapitate Stannis.

I don't think Brienne is to blame for what happened to Sansa. Sansa refused when Brienne offered to take her away from Baelish. And while the whole business with the candle was stupid, I can understand why Brienne chose to avenge Renly and go after Stannis. One can disagree with that choice, but she can't be called dishonorable for it. Also, the candle was lit after Brienne left, so she didn't know Sansa was in distress. She didn't choose killing Stannis over saving Sansa.

On 9/25/2018 at 9:49 AM, Angel Eyes said:

So I was just rewatching season 5 again the other week. Anyway, it's funny to see how they "kill" Stannis. That they quickly cut shots and never show him actually dead or being hit with a sword (also, if you really want to get into it, the whole attack angle is off with Brienne but that's being WAY overly critical). Supposedly D&D did it out of "respect" even though they never cared for the character. But it is a classic, "We don't know what to do with this scene so we are going to push it off till the next season just in case GRRM actually writes the 6th book and we really need Stannis" scene. It's comical. Since a lot of season 5 ends that way...

2 hours ago, btfu806 said:

So I was just rewatching season 5 again the other week. Anyway, it's funny to see how they "kill" Stannis. That they quickly cut shots and never show him actually dead or being hit with a sword (also, if you really want to get into it, the whole attack angle is off with Brienne but that's being WAY overly critical). Supposedly D&D did it out of "respect" even though they never cared for the character. But it is a classic, "We don't know what to do with this scene so we are going to push it off till the next season just in case GRRM actually writes the 6th book and we really need Stannis" scene. It's comical. Since a lot of season 5 ends that way...

Judging by the hand movements, I thought she decapitated Stannis.

31 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

Judging by the hand movements, I thought she decapitated Stannis.

Seemed like she was about to hit a tree to me. On top of that, when has Game of Thrones shied away from showing a death up to that point?

Archived