Who would you say is the ultimate good guy\girl on Game of Thrones?

Feologild

1 hour ago, alienarea said:

The Night King obviously. He is rising dead beings. What else can you ask for?

I don’t think so. The dead he raises aren’t who they were in life, and he sets them on the living like rabid dogs. They’re a disease, a cancer of Planetos, a plague.

16 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

Syrio Forel, Brynden Blackfish.

As with Syrio, I get why they did that, that's how he "died" in the books. Unless you believe some people. Brynden was after Stannis, as I mentioned before, it was up to that point. But I think we can agree Stannis is a much larger and more important character than either Syrio and Brynden.

• 1 month later...
On 9/25/2018 at 6:49 AM, Angel Eyes said:

I don’t agree with Brienne being honorable, since she abandoned Sansa to rape and torture while she galavanted off to decapitate Stannis.

What nonsense. Sansa refused Brienne's help. She made the choice to side with Littlefinger and go to the Boltons. Sansa was not raped or tortured during the time Brienne went to decapitate Stannis. Brienne saved Sansa's behind immediately after. And it was a precondition of Brienne's oath to Catelyn that when the time came for her to kill Stannis NOTHING would stand in her way. Catelyn agreed and promised Brienne that she would never hold her back. 

5 hours ago, sapphire_lion said:

What nonsense. Sansa refused Brienne's help. She made the choice to side with Littlefinger and go to the Boltons. Sansa was not raped or tortured during the time Brienne went to decapitate Stannis. Brienne saved Sansa's behind immediately after. And it was a precondition of Brienne's oath to Catelyn that when the time came for her to kill Stannis NOTHING would stand in her way. Catelyn agreed and promised Brienne that she would never hold her back. 

I agree with this, it was not Brienne's decision. (Not that boook Sansa would have made those decisions though but that's another topic...)

On 11/11/2018 at 1:44 PM, sapphire_lion said:

What nonsense. Sansa refused Brienne's help.

Sansa refused because Brienne was in danger, Sansa was saving Brienne, you can argue this if you want, but I was on this site when that episode aired and many like you stated the same, I was almost on an island to myself, I pointed out Sansa's eye shift and nod at the knight behind Brienne and stated Sansa's trying to save Brienne and telling her to "get out of Dodge " this continued for 2 or 3 days, on the third or fourth day Entertainment Weekly had an interview with Gwen Christy, and the question came up about the scene at the inn this was her answer

We’ve had characters meet up before at the Inn at the Crossroads, but never quite so explosively.  By the time the encounter is over, Brienne has taken out several of Littlefinger’s entourage in a fight scene that was reportedly a nightmare to film. And although Littlefinger and Sansa ride away, Brienne sees where they’re headed and decides to follow.  But why does she follow? As Pod points out, both Stark girls have refused her protection. Technically, she’s free of the oath she made to Catelyn Stark back in Season 2, and yet she decides she needs to follow Sansa to wherever Littlefigner is taking her. Why?  As Christie explains to EW in an interview, it’s in part due to something we can’t see in this moment:   “Brienne kneels before Sansa in an exact mimic of the oath she made to Catelyn Stark,” Christie says. “And Sansa says, ‘No.’ But in the script, it says there’s the tiniest look in Sansa’s eyes. The script says the look is telling Brienne: ‘Get the f–k out of Dodge.’”  Has Sansa learned enough from Littlefinger that’s she’s started to plot her own course? After all, as Littlefinger notes, she has become “an observant young lady.” Christie certainly thinks so, and suggests that Sansa’s rejection of Brienne’s offer of help was intended to keep Brienne safe from Littlefinger.  “We can be romantic about it and say that, in that moment, maybe there’s a connection, some part Catelyn that’s within Sansa, that’s trying to help me, to urge me on,” Christie says.  This certainly jives with what episode director Michael Slovis said to The Hollywood Reporter when asked about that scene. “Everybody had an agenda in that. You had to make it clear what each person’s cause celebre was. Nobody is really saying what they mean in that scene.”  Littlefinger’s goons did try to run Brienne down pretty shortly after this scene, although you could argue that Brienne brought that on herself by making such a hasty, violent exit. In any case, it seems unlikely that Brienne would have lasted long in Littlefinger’s company. He clearly didn’t want her there, so a warning from Sansa to beat it was probably well-founded.  Is Brienne reading Sansa right? Has Sansa learned enough to know that trusting Littlefinger will put her head at risk, just like it once did her father? Was Brienne right to follow Sansa, even after the verbal rejection?

If you watch that scene over, Sansa has conflict, but also shows hope knowing someone is looking for her. As Oberyn told a Lannister soldier: a sword is the wrong weapon in a confine space, and Brienne was surrounded by 6 Knights in a small corner of a tavern.

On 11/14/2018 at 9:14 PM, Grail King said:

Sansa refused because Brienne was in danger, Sansa was saving Brienne, you can argue this if you want, but I was on this site when that episode aired and many like you stated the same, I was almost on an island to myself, I pointed out Sansa's eye shift and nod at the knight behind Brienne and stated Sansa's trying to save Brienne and telling her to "get out of Dodge " this continued for 2 or 3 days, on the third or fourth day Entertainment Weekly had an interview with Gwen Christy, and the question came up about the scene at the inn this was her answer

We’ve had characters meet up before at the Inn at the Crossroads, but never quite so explosively.  By the time the encounter is over, Brienne has taken out several of Littlefinger’s entourage in a fight scene that was reportedly a nightmare to film. And although Littlefinger and Sansa ride away, Brienne sees where they’re headed and decides to follow.  But why does she follow? As Pod points out, both Stark girls have refused her protection. Technically, she’s free of the oath she made to Catelyn Stark back in Season 2, and yet she decides she needs to follow Sansa to wherever Littlefigner is taking her. Why?  As Christie explains to EW in an interview, it’s in part due to something we can’t see in this moment:   “Brienne kneels before Sansa in an exact mimic of the oath she made to Catelyn Stark,” Christie says. “And Sansa says, ‘No.’ But in the script, it says there’s the tiniest look in Sansa’s eyes. The script says the look is telling Brienne: ‘Get the f–k out of Dodge.’”  Has Sansa learned enough from Littlefinger that’s she’s started to plot her own course? After all, as Littlefinger notes, she has become “an observant young lady.” Christie certainly thinks so, and suggests that Sansa’s rejection of Brienne’s offer of help was intended to keep Brienne safe from Littlefinger.  “We can be romantic about it and say that, in that moment, maybe there’s a connection, some part Catelyn that’s within Sansa, that’s trying to help me, to urge me on,” Christie says.  This certainly jives with what episode director Michael Slovis said to The Hollywood Reporter when asked about that scene. “Everybody had an agenda in that. You had to make it clear what each person’s cause celebre was. Nobody is really saying what they mean in that scene.”  Littlefinger’s goons did try to run Brienne down pretty shortly after this scene, although you could argue that Brienne brought that on herself by making such a hasty, violent exit. In any case, it seems unlikely that Brienne would have lasted long in Littlefinger’s company. He clearly didn’t want her there, so a warning from Sansa to beat it was probably well-founded.  Is Brienne reading Sansa right? Has Sansa learned enough to know that trusting Littlefinger will put her head at risk, just like it once did her father? Was Brienne right to follow Sansa, even after the verbal rejection?

If you watch that scene over, Sansa has conflict, but also shows hope knowing someone is looking for her. As Oberyn told a Lannister soldier: a sword is the wrong weapon in a confine space, and Brienne was surrounded by 6 Knights in a small corner of a tavern.

There are times when script notes and final cuts do not convey the same message. Moreover, the way Sansa spoke to Brienne was like to discourage any rescuer. Sansa got really lucky that Brienne does not give up. Sansa also later admitted that she made a mistake and should have gone with Brienne when she had the chance

However, none of this is particularly relevant to my point because at the end of the day Sansa did decide to stay with Littlefinger and then go to the Boltons. Sansa was not raped or tortured during the time Brienne went to decapitate Stannis. Brienne did save Sansa immediately after. And it was a precondition of Brienne's oath to Catelyn that when the time came NOTHING would stand in her way of killing Stannis. 

21 hours ago, Lord Stannis-The True King said:

King Stannis Baratheon. Easily the most selfless character in the series. Without Stannis winter would have consumed all of Westeros. 

Complicite in the blood magic murder of his brother and in the burning of his innocent daughter.  Stannis is a horrible human being.

39 minutes ago, Byfort of Corfe said:

Complicite in the blood magic murder of his brother and in the burning of his innocent daughter.  Stannis is a horrible human being.

Renly was a traitor to the realm. He proclaimed himself King and stole many of the Baratheon bannermen for his cause. By all the laws of Gods and Men Stannis had a Duty to execute him. Not only that, but in doing so he saved countless lives from parishing in a needless conflict. He even went so far as to use his own life force to ensure no collateral damage was had. Renly is at fault here. He wraught is own doom with his treason.

Shireen, is another story. Completely innocent to be sure. In this way I always saw Stannis as the foil for Ned Stark. One of my favorite scenes that describes this perfectly is in the season 1 episode Bealor. The conversation between Aemon Targarian and Jon Snow. Maester Aemon asks Jon if he knows why the Night's Watch can have no wives and father no children. "So they will not love. LOVE IS THE DEATH OF DUTY." He says that given the choice most men would prioritize their family over their duty to the realm. He then asks what Jon thinks his father would do. Jon replies that his father would always do what is right. No matter what. Aemon says that his father is "one man in ten thousand". "Most of us are not so strong. What is honor campared to a woman's love? What is duty compared to the feel of a newborn son in your arms? Or a brother's smile?" "We're all human. And we all do our duty when there's no cost to it. Honor comes easy then. Yet, sooner or later, in every man's life there comes a day when it is not easy. A day when he must choose!"

As we all know Ned Stark was considered an honorable man. He supported Stannis as the heir to the Iron Throne because he WAS the heir. But when he had to choose between his duty and his family he chose his family. He falsely confessed to treason and proclaimed Joffry the true King plunging the seven kingdoms into a civil war that still hasn't ended. All to save his two daughters. All the lives lost in this conflict to save two people. In the end his love was the death of his duty. 

Stannis had a similar choice to make. To spare his daughter at the expense of the kingdom or to sacrifice her to ensure it's future and save countless lives in the process. He chose Duty. Stannis Baratheon was that one man in ten thousand Measter Aemon referenced. He loved Shireen. She was possibly the only person he ever loved and he still chose his duty. Why? Because he was King. And a King has a greater responsibility to his people than to his family. A King must be selfless to be effective. And Stannis is the only truly selfless character in the whole series. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'd have to say Brienne and on the guy's side, probably Sam.

Smuggling aside, I'd almost want to make a case for Davos. He seems pretty purehearted, a simple guy who tries to do the right thing when he can.

• 2 months later...
On 9/5/2018 at 2:55 AM, Feologild said:

I guess i could say which character do you think is the least evil one?

Obviously Shireen. She's a sweet, smart, warmhearted girl. She's not at all evil. No question, she was the nicest character depicted in the books and show.

A little bit more greyish, but still very much on the good side are Jojen Reed and Meera Reed for me. Both trying to fulfill their destiny by saving Bran and bringing him North. Jojen knows he will not survive, both acting selflessly, not committing anyknown crimes or evils on their way.

17 hours ago, Ser Uncle P said:

Any votes for Davos Seaworth? 

Yes, he is one of the better guys. But of course he knows how to use a sword, how to smuggle, how to commit crimes, ambushes and so on. He's good relative to his contemporaries, though.

Jon "you were right the whole time" Snow lied about his allegiance to the wildlings, and he entered Mance's tent under the guise of a truce to murder him. Executing a kid is also a show change that is pretty dark. We're also supposed to be shocked at how viciously he attacked Ramsay. There could be more dark stuff to come for him.

Shireen, Gilly, and Pod seem like the sweet cinnamon rolls on the show.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived