MCU - X

Which Tyler

4 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

I thought we already had our tenth thread, during their tenth anniversary when the X-Men coming home; but I can't find it.

I'm excited...

41 minutes ago, The EnglishBear said:

I really really hope Captain Marvel is very cosmic. I don't want to see her bumming around earth, I want a lot of Kree shit.

Is it possible they cram the Earth part into the same amount of time Peter Quill got on planet?

I feel like the Twitter banter yesterday oversold the reveal. I know this is the first "official" look, but I've been seeing bad Photo-Shoppy reveals of the Captain Marvel costume for the last year. I didn't expect a trailer, as EW doesn't do trailers -- just bad Photo Shop stuff -- but I was hoping we'd get pictures of other characters. I suppose we still will, as the website says it'll be releasing content over the next few days, but this was underwhelming.

I did appreciate the in-film photo of Captain Marvel, though. Thankfully, the suit looks much better in action than it does on the cover. I'm also intrigued that this movie isn't written as a standard origin story, as it seems we're starting off with Carol in space and she goes back to Earth. I know Marvel has been trying to approach origins more creatively for years, but I wasn't expecting them to avoid the standard format here as well.

33 minutes ago, The EnglishBear said:

I'd love to look at the EW website, but I can't get past their privacy information screen. I click on 'continue' and nothing happens.

Me too, that's why I didn't link to the whole EW article.

15 minutes ago, Bastard of Boston said:

Skrulls!

Also, Lashana Lynch is playing Maria Rambeau -- mother to Monica.

Those look pretty good.

20 hours ago, Bastard of Boston said:

Skrulls!

Also, Lashana Lynch is playing Maria Rambeau -- mother to Monica.

Cool to see a faithful version of the skills rather than the chitauri ultimates/avengers substitutes. I wonder whether the skrulls were something they acquired as I always thought they hadn't used them previously due to them being fantasic four characters.

14 minutes ago, red snow said:

Cool to see a faithful version of the skills rather than the chitauri ultimates/avengers substitutes. I wonder whether the skrulls were something they acquired as I always thought they hadn't used them previously due to them being fantasic four characters.

Hmmm, the way I understood it was Skrulls in general are fair game, but certain named skrulls are not, and neither are super skrulls.

More information that came out yesterday has me excited.

Spoiler

The synopsis I saw says the movie starts with her already having powers and being part of an Elite Kree force lead by Jude Law and she returns to Earth to stop a Skrull invasion.  

There are pictures of her meeting Ronin and a young Nick Fury.

1 hour ago, The EnglishBear said:

Hmmm, the way I understood it was Skrulls in general are fair game, but certain named skrulls are not, and neither are super skrulls.

That makes a bit more sense. I think they are a key race in the galactic side of marvel so good to see them in the films. Plus it makes secret wars a possible storyline to play with in the next phase.

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

Hide contents

The synopsis I saw says the movie starts with her already having powers and being part of an Elite Kree force lead by Jude Law and she returns to Earth to stop a Skrull invasion.  

It feels a bit like they are going to do what the green lantern film should have done by focusing on the space corps.

17 hours ago, Rhom said:

Hide contents

If she does return to Earth and actually does that thing then that would suck balls IMO.

Outrageous EW cover IMO. I can't believe they shaved a few inches off her hips for the cover to make her look more like a stick than she really does. And going with the tag line 'The future is female" is stupidly provocative. It's like they are saying "OK so Kathleen Kennedy shit the bed with Star Wars fans by wearing "the force if female" tee shirts. But we can say the same sort of thing and that's not going to piss anyone off." Why deliberately provoke the MRA like that?

I'm not too worried by the synopsis as long as

the majority of the film isn't earthbound. That would make it frustrating in the same way green lantern was. Regarding stopping a Skrillex invasion the nice thing about that is she probably doesn't. Film ends with her saving the earth. Credits. Cut to a person in a position of power doing something then turning to screen and briefly appearing Skrill. Rest of credits then a scene connecting her to the next avengers.

5 hours ago, red snow said:

I'm not too worried by the synopsis as long as

Hide contents

the majority of the film isn't earthbound. That would make it frustrating in the same way green lantern was. Regarding stopping a Skrillex invasion the nice thing about that is she probably doesn't. Film ends with her saving the earth. Credits. Cut to a person in a position of power doing something then turning to screen and briefly appearing Skrill. Rest of credits then a scene connecting her to the next avengers.

I hope you're right. But then, if they decide to do X-men and F4 stuff for phase 4 (maybe Galactus and Silver Surfer, being the principle foci), then they might have made a last minute decision to end it here. Maybe it's too hard with some people's contracts to run a storyline like that and for it to be impactful.

Ok this is definitely the most shocking Captain Marvel news so far:

“[Coulson's] a relatively new S.H.I.E.L.D. agent who is obsessed with MC Hammer and dresses just like him, and it makes Director Fury so angry,” Gregg quips, “The genie pants don’t really go with the Armani.”

https://ew.com/movies/2018/09/13/clark-gregg-captain-marvel/

I...can't wait. 

Archived