MCU - X

Which Tyler

On 9/7/2018 at 3:40 PM, The Anti-Targ said:

I hope you're right. But then, if they decide to do X-men and F4 stuff for phase 4 (maybe Galactus and Silver Surfer, being the principle foci), then they might have made a last minute decision to end it here. Maybe it's too hard with some people's contracts to run a storyline like that and for it to be impactful.

You don't really need to lock shapeshifter contracts especially if your "regular" body is green and prosthetics based.

But it's definitely a type of storyline you'd want to keep to one film ideally eg avengers: secret war rather than drag out continuously. I too am more excited about seeing the FF IP interact with the MCU. It's crazy how the FF seem perfect within the MCU yet always seemed a crazy idea for a solo film

If we do eventually get the FF integrated into the MCU, I'd love to see a nerd-off between Stark, Banner, Richards, Doom and Shuri. Although Stark will have probably kicked the bucket by then post Avengers 4...

1 hour ago, Jeor said:

If we do eventually get the FF integrated into the MCU, I'd love to see a nerd-off between Stark, Banner, Richards, Doom and Shuri. Although Stark will have probably kicked the bucket by then post Avengers 4...

That would be fun especially as reed should blow everyone else out of the water. I guess with him it's that he doesn't research/invent with an application beyond the joy of adventure. I'd actually like to see him as relatively poor and holding back the serious tech and just doing silly patents to make ends meet. 

Then there's Doom who ideally should be the second/equal smartest person in the MCU but his arrogance ruins him.

I'm actually really pleased with the MCU shuri in the sense it means the black panther isn't the super all rounder he is in the comics. He seems to be more a strategic thinker than guy who makes his own tech. One of my favourite things about black panther was how they could easily do James bond style sequels with afro-futurism angle

54 minutes ago, red snow said:

That would be fun especially as reed should blow everyone else out of the water. I guess with him it's that he doesn't research/invent with an application beyond the joy of adventure. I'd actually like to see him as relatively poor and holding back the serious tech and just doing silly patents to make ends meet. 

There's no chance that Marvel make Richards smarter than Shuri at this point. Given they've deliberately established Shuri as smarter than Banner or Stark, they're not gonna roll back on something obviously done for reasons of representation balance. At most he'll be an equal.

But heck, even in the comics my understanding is that the current official 'smartest person in Marvel' is Moon Girl, so there's that.

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

There's no chance that Marvel make Richards smarter than Shuri at this point. Given they've deliberately established Shuri as smarter than Banner or Stark, they're not gonna roll back on something obviously done for reasons of representation balance. At most he'll be an equal.

But heck, even in the comics my understanding is that the current official 'smartest person in Marvel' is Moon Girl, so there's that.

I think as long as shuri is the best at applied smarts it's fine having Reed creating inter-dimensional travel and all the crazy stuff. Shuri has no need to make such things irrespective of whether she could or could not.

I love how in the DC comics Mr terrific is known as the second smartest person on earth. It probably makes him the smartest as all the others assume they are the smartest. Clever truck by whichever writer came up with the idea as none of the editors of other heroes challenge that while they'd complain if they were making him the smartest.

I wonder whether they would be positioning the Fantastic Four to be the core of the post-Avengers 4 phase of the MCU.

In this first decade we've had Stark and Cap as the two "Core" leads. While other heroes have had multiple movies or appearances (e.g. Thor, Guardians, Banner) it's been pretty clear that in the four big ensemble movies (I count Civil War as one, even if it was branded as Captain America's) Stark and Cap have been the go-to leaders.

Assuming one or both of them bite the dust in Avengers 4, they're going to be looking for a new MCU superhero leader who can bring all the others together. Reed Richards can be that guy for the next phase. He's a bit quirky (now explained as autism), but in the comics he is one of the most widely respected superhero leaders and has had pretty important roles to play in crossover or large-scale arcs. It'll be interesting to see who they can get to play him, if they do bring FF into the fold soon.

9 hours ago, RumHam said:

We never found out who bought Avengers Tower, right? I know some people were speculating it was the Richards even before the deal went through. 

That would be cool as the avengers tower always felt like a replacement for the Baxter building in marvel New York.

Jeor, Feige has said they want to develop new franchises to allow the existing ones to rest so having the FF as their avengers replacement is an option. Although the FF are a unique property for the MCU. The closest is probably the guardians in the sense the team isn't really designed for solo spin offs and and isn't that amenable to line up changes (despite various efforts in the comics). It might not be the franchise to replace avengers in terms of interconnectivity but could easily be their "prime" film.

I imagine avengers might get a name change with the champions or something like that but they could just keep the avengers name and have a captain marvel led team with new heroes (or just not the original avengers) present.

I'd like to see the MCU spin on the original thunderbolts team (not just because I have the original comics and would like to see their value increase). The "twist" to that team would provide marvel with the opportunity to do something a little bit different.

It seems the cosmic side will be delayed with the Gunn dismissal but they'll get back to it I'm sure given cthe success of their cosmic films to date.

3 hours ago, red snow said:

I imagine avengers might get a name change with the champions or something like that but they could just keep the avengers name and have a captain marvel led team with new heroes (or just not the original avengers) present.

I'm sure that's going to be the case. Fairly sure when Feige says he wants to let franchises rest, he means the individual heroes and how one or another will take the place of the old ones. So Captain Marvel, T'Challa and Dr Strange are supposed to replace Cap, Tony and Thor within the Avengers, rather than the Avengers itself being rested.

Surely T'Challa and Wakanda are being set up as leaders and prime location for phase 4+, probably with Captain Marvel as the on-field captain?

Personally, I suspect they've already got phase 4 mapped out, with just some tinkering needed as a result of the James Gunn decable. F4 could potentially come straight in (maybe taking GotG3's place); but any X involvement really needs to be left longer, and ideally left separate

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

I'm sure that's going to be the case. Fairly sure when Feige says he wants to let franchises rest, he means the individual heroes and how one or another will take the place of the old ones. So Captain Marvel, T'Challa and Dr Strange are supposed to replace Cap, Tony and Thor within the Avengers, rather than the Avengers itself being rested.

That's a pretty strong avengers team still and imagine Spidey will be there (if shared contract renews) and falcon, scarlet witch, vision and antman/wasp are options too.

Looking at your avatar I'm also wondering when/if we will ever get an Authority movie? WB should really think about it as a separate film universe.

1 hour ago, Which Tyler said:

Surely T'Challa and Wakanda are being set up as leaders and prime location for phase 4+, probably with Captain Marvel as the on-field captain?

Personally, I suspect they've already got phase 4 mapped out, with just some tinkering needed as a result of the James Gunn decable. F4 could potentially come straight in (maybe taking GotG3's place); but any X involvement really needs to be left longer, and ideally left separate

The X-Men could definitely benefit from the MCU treatment but agree they may be better left on their own for the foreseeable future. Use dimensional travel if they want a crossover at some point. I'm still really curious as to how many movies the MCU can produce in a year. I think they need another team for the x-frsnchises in the way star wars and Pixar are different. I'm not sure if Feige has an understudy but it could be a good chance for someone in Feige team to step up. I do think they need to ensure the current x-producers aren't running the whole show though - the x-films should be performing on a level with the MCU and only Deadpool/logan has really succeeded in that

19 minutes ago, red snow said:

Looking at your avatar I'm also wondering when/if we will ever get an Authority movie? WB should really think about it as a separate film universe.

Been wondering this myself for ages. Would fit their obvious desire for greater edginess while being able to deliver it with a wink that makes it feel less ridiculous than, say, Titans.

4 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Been wondering this myself for ages. Would fit their obvious desire for greater edginess while being able to deliver it with a wink that makes it feel less ridiculous than, say, Titans.

Given Deadpool you'd think the authority minus meta awareness could work. Maybe it would work as WB parodying their grim take on DC.

Plus, Midnighter is great. Him and Apollo as leads would be a first (AFAIK) for having gay superhero leads too.

4 hours ago, red snow said:

I'm still really curious as to how many movies the MCU can produce in a year. 

I think at some point in the not too distant future we're gonna see actual MCU productions premiering on the Disney streaming service.  Miniseries and and stuff for sure but also maybe movies. Like if they just don't think Dr. Strange 2 is going to make Spiderman/Black Panther money. They could debut it on the streaming service and do special showings in actual theaters for the devoted fans. 

They might have an idea of positioning F4 as the new leadership of the Avengers, but right now that's a bit of a risky property. I would think they'd do a stand alone (as much as it's possible to do so at this point in the MCU) movie before they look to make F4 the lead team of the Avengers. If the Captain Marvel movie does well, and she is as significant in the defeat of Thanos as people seem to think she'll be, then she would have a good claim on being the Captain America replacement (i.e. the battlefield lead) while Reid Richards becomes the brains trust lead.

32 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

They might have an idea of positioning F4 as the new leadership of the Avengers, but right now that's a bit of a risky property. I would think they'd do a stand alone (as much as it's possible to do so at this point in the MCU) movie before they look to make F4 the lead team of the Avengers. If the Captain Marvel movie does well, and she is as significant in the defeat of Thanos as people seem to think she'll be, then she would have a good claim on being the Captain America replacement (i.e. the battlefield lead) while Reid Richards becomes the brains trust lead.

Oh yes, I don't think they'll parachute FF as the main drivers of the Avengers. I think they'll have a standalone FF4 and then go from there.

The Avengers title were the ensemble films that tied all the other properties together. It's a pretty successful model and I am guessing post Avengers 4 they will still want an ensemble title to pull the next phase together. It will probably still continue to be called the Avengers (with Captain Marvel involved) but I wouldn't be surprised if Reed Richards emerges as a bit of a lead player in any ensemble film, whether it's from his position as leader of the Fantastic Four or whether he takes a bigger role overall.

As an example, Cap was the main guy who can lead the superheroes in battle but when it comes down to it, Tony Stark was probably the person most responsible for Earth's protection - i.e. the attack on New York and all that ensues afterwards. During Infinity War it was pretty obvious at the start of the film (Dr Strange chose to bring the news to Stark first, and Stark even said it himself with the NY situation), and as well in Stark's one-on-one fight and conversation with Thanos, that Tony Stark was Earth's champion and leader.

I would think that void is pretty difficult to fill, and Captain Marvel might be the Cap replacement but perhaps Reed Richards will be the Stark replacement in terms of being Earth's overall representative and "leader". I don't think any of the current ones fit that mould.

15 hours ago, RumHam said:

I think at some point in the not too distant future we're gonna see actual MCU productions premiering on the Disney streaming service.  Miniseries and and stuff for sure but also maybe movies. Like if they just don't think Dr. Strange 2 is going to make Spiderman/Black Panther money. They could debut it on the streaming service and do special showings in actual theaters for the devoted fans. 

That's not a bad idea if they do cinema release for those wanting the big screen experience.

I wonder how long Netflix will get to keep their current marvel properties? I'd be surprised if they get to make any additional shows in terms of new characters. It's telling that Hulu gets to make most of the new shows now.

In terms of the FF being in an avengers film I think the Thing is more likely, especially if Hulk gets rested after avengers 4. 

I think someone mentioned a while ago that for Netflix the characters we've seen already are the only characters we're going to ever see. I wonder if Netflix will try making up some original characters (mostly villains) if they want to try to keep things going.

Pure supposition.....

Screenrant just had an article about how Marvel/Disney can roll the X-men into the cinematic universe without breaking cannon... I don;t see that happening,. I think they'd be better served to merge the X-men into the MCU for when they reboot in a few years.... culminating in an AvX two-part mega event... 

Although, if phase 4 goes "more cosmic"... I think it might be relatively simple to retcon the Fantastic Fout --Galactus/Silver Surfer/Dr Doom, etc-- into their existing structure 

Archived