MCU - X

Which Tyler

I saw a thing online today that said Bob Iger confirmed to the Hollywood Reporter that Fiege would be taking over the X-Men and Fantastic Four.  I think we all kinda knew that, but good to see confirmation.

12 hours ago, GallowKnight said:

They're making a fucking Eternals movie?

They're making a fucking Eternals movie and giving direction to Chloe Zhao. That takes fucking balls.

Interesting move, because the scale the Eternals can run to, and the fact that they're linked with the Celestials, surely indicates there's a good chance the Celestials proper will be showing up as the focus of a phase in future, especially since as I understand it Marvel Comics have been building a Celestial-focused story event that brings them much more into the center of the Marvel mythos for the last little while.

Wonder if the film will have any influence from Neil Gaiman's miniseries that reintroduced the Eternals to the modern Marvel 'verse- it'd make sense. I recommend that as a read by the way, RumHam.

20 hours ago, RumHam said:

The Eternals movie has a director

I know nothing about these characters. Since there's apparently already a script I'd guess this is one of the three mysterious Marvel movies scheduled for 2020 along with Black Panther 2 and maybe Dr. Strange 2 or Black Widow. 

That is very cool, would love to see a movie about them. Chloe Zao has directed two interesting and good films before btw, most recently The Rider which was great. Remarkable choice for such a film.

I'd also say this is far more interesting a film idea than another Black Widow or Dr Strange film, which elicit zero excitement in me.

My son asked me to get his Halloween costume at Target today.  He wanted Black Panther.

I guess little black kids have been dressing as white super heroes for years... and I don’t want to dissuade him, but there was a definite part of me that kinda wanted to say “Let other kids have this one” and not try to take this now that there’s a legit superhero for black children to claim as their own. :dunno: 

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

My son asked me to get his Halloween costume at Target today.  He wanted Black Panther.

I guess little black kids have been dressing as white super heroes for years... and I don’t want to dissuade him, but there was a definite part of me that kinda wanted to say “Let other kids have this one” and not try to take this now that there’s a legit superhero for black children to claim as their own. :dunno: 

I get your apprehension, but honestly, I don't know if I consider this appropriation. I think this is a milestone. As you alluded to, black children had to dress up as white heroes for a long time due to lack of representation. I think it's great that Black Panther has become a mainstream success and white children are seeing and admiring strong and positive representations of black heroes in fiction.

I think you only fall off the slippery slope if the costume evokes Black African culture, of which, I don't notice too much in Black Panther's costume. Now, a kid dressing up as M'Baku or Shuri, I think, veers more toward appropriation, as those costumes are so heavily rooted in African culture.

RE: The Eternals. The movie could be extremely cool. The people who concerned about the staleness of this entire genre, I think, would be given a ton more to chew on if Eternals is taken to its potential. I first started reading comics during the leather coat Avengers years, with Black Knight and white Vision. I'll always have a soft spot for Sersi.

2 hours ago, Bastard of Boston said:

I get your apprehension, but honestly, I don't know if I consider this appropriation. I think this is a milestone. As you alluded to, black children had to dress up as white heroes for a long time due to lack of representation. I think it's great that Black Panther has become a mainstream success and white children are seeing and admiring strong and positive representations of black heroes in fiction.

I think you only fall off the slippery slope if the costume evokes Black African culture, of which, I don't notice too much in Black Panther's costume. Now, a kid dressing up as M'Baku or Shuri, I think, veers more toward appropriation, as those costumes are so heavily rooted in African culture.

There were three BP related costumes.  The main BP, the gold Killmonger, and Okoye for girls.

8 hours ago, Rhom said:

There were three BP related costumes.  The main BP, the gold Killmonger, and Okoye for girls.

I think it can only be a good thing if non black kids are looking to black superheroes as role models. I'd prefer this over "cowboys and Indians" where the Indians are villains.  Next step boys wanting to dress up as wonder woman or captain marvel and there being no issues.

I always assumed the MCU would bring in the Celestials mythology at some point, given that they had laid some of the groundwork with Guardians 2. I'm not well-versed in the Eternals storylines but it makes sense to branch off into something fresh in the next phase.

2 hours ago, Jeor said:

I always assumed the MCU would bring in the Celestials mythology at some point, given that they had laid some of the groundwork with Guardians 2. I'm not well-versed in the Eternals storylines but it makes sense to branch off into something fresh in the next phase.

Plus it'll be a bit like the guardians where there's quite a bit of flexibility in how they approach them. Wasn't it a celestial head where the penal colony was at in guardians?

1 hour ago, red snow said:

Wasn't it a celestial head where the penal colony was at in guardians? 

No, Knowhere, the place the Collector hung out and which got trashed in Infinity War, is the head of a Celestial. Though I'm actually not sure they've mentioned that fact in the movies.

Both Guardians movies had other references to the Celestials though, the second one directly and the first one at least visually when giving some backstory on the Infinity Stones IIRC.

4 minutes ago, Jon AS said:

No, Knowhere, the place the Collector hung out and which got trashed in Infinity War, is the head of a Celestial. Though I'm actually not sure they've mentioned that fact in the movies.

Both Guardians movies had other references to the Celestials though, the second one directly and the first one at least visually when giving some backstory on the Infinity Stones IIRC.

That's the place I meant as I was sure they directly mentioned it in the film.

Sounds like they have been setting them up for a while.

17 hours ago, red snow said:

I think it can only be a good thing if non black kids are looking to black superheroes as role models. I'd prefer this over "cowboys and Indians" where the Indians are villains.  Next step boys wanting to dress up as wonder woman or captain marvel and there being no issues.

Captain Marvel, even with the sash, is a pretty unisex costume (assuming it's the full body suit and not the Ms Marvel one piece swimsuit with thigh high leather boots).

Wonder Woman OTOH has the mini-skirt. Though it's not dissimilar to that of a Roman legionnaire or Greek hoplite.

I'm not too familar with kids and their Halloween and party choices of superhero costumes. Do girls commonly dress up as male super heroes? It's possible that the girl/boy thing is not quite comparable to the black/white thing. 

5 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Captain Marvel, even with the sash, is a pretty unisex costume (assuming it's the full body suit and not the Ms Marvel one piece swimsuit with thigh high leather boots).

Wonder Woman OTOH has the mini-skirt. Though it's not dissimilar to that of a Roman legionnaire or Greek hoplite.

I'm not too familar with kids and their Halloween and party choices of superhero costumes. Do girls commonly dress up as male super heroes? It's possible that the girl/boy thing is not quite comparable to the black/white thing. 

It's true captain marvel is more unisex. It still seems that boys dressing in "girls" clothes is still more socially tricky but I know parents who really don't care if their son wants to dress as a fairy etc. In terms of superheroes I think it's comparable in the sense it shows the genre is dominated by white male characters. 

21 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Well, kinda. Ego as a Celestial has nothing to do with how the Celestials are presented in comics. But as mentioned they've been in the background, as Knowhere and in the Stone flashbacks.

Yeah they did mess with the Celestial mythology by making Ego one of them, but I think it's still pretty doable. And as mentioned, they've laid some groundwork for the Celestials being around (Infinity Stones, Knowhere) before they really fleshed it out with Ego. The Guardians obviously know what a Celestial is.

I can see the next phase of the MCU being a bit more cosmic in nature. If they bring in the FF, that could bring in things like Galactus, Silver Surfer and the Watchers, and if they're bringing in Eternals that could mean more Celestials. Plus there was the GoTG 2 coda with Adam Warlock. So, plenty of material to work with if they want to go in that direction.

My very Anglo looking son has no concept of color when he plays superhero. Capt America, Ironman, War Machine, Falcon, Thor, Hawkeye, Spiderman, Black Panther, Starlord, etc... All fair game. Often times, a mishmash of any of the above.

He has never role played cross gender though. 

7 hours ago, Jeor said:

Yeah they did mess with the Celestial mythology by making Ego one of them, but I think it's still pretty doable. And as mentioned, they've laid some groundwork for the Celestials being around (Infinity Stones, Knowhere) before they really fleshed it out with Ego. The Guardians obviously know what a Celestial is.

I can see the next phase of the MCU being a bit more cosmic in nature. If they bring in the FF, that could bring in things like Galactus, Silver Surfer and the Watchers, and if they're bringing in Eternals that could mean more Celestials. Plus there was the GoTG 2 coda with Adam Warlock. So, plenty of material to work with if they want to go in that direction.

Just a shame James Gunn appeared to be a key architect for the next phase and expanding the cosmic side. I guess they can still use some of his ideas and maybe celestials and a cosmic Thor film could plug the guardians gap.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't feel Venom deserves its own thread and while it's technically not MCU the Spidey connection makes this best option for now.

Nowhere near as bad as the early reviews suggested but the only thing of merit is Hardy arguing with himself. The plot is nonsensical and feels like 15-20 minutes were skipped between second and third act. Also Hardy's character in first 10 minutes is completely different from the one in the rest of film like two different scripts were forced together. Michelle Williams and Riz Ahmed were underused or not able to camp it up like Hardy did.

The first extra credit scene is utterly hilarious though. I'll watch a sequel just to see

woody harrelson in that wig [/spolier] The second is worth it as a promo for another film

the animated spiderverse film. Not sure venom was an appropriate place for it but it has unique animation and comedy feel to it

One thing I was curious about was how I got the impression from this film that last year's "life" probably was a prequel to this film. There was a rumour at the time this was the case and while I haven't seen the film there were lots of things in this film that gelled with the trailer for "life"

Archived