MCU - X

Which Tyler

2 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I also meant to say that I hope GoTG 3 suffers a notable drop in audience from GoTG 1 and 2. To show to Disney that their weak-kneed decision had financial consequences. Though I don't want it to outright fail.

I can't see a MCU film failing unless they have several bombs before GOTG3 comes out. The first awful MCU film will probably still perform reasonably well - it's only when fans don't take the MCU badge as a guarantee of a film being entertaining they'll start to wobble. I would like to see it perform worse than the previous two films though and that's not with any malice directed at those making the film - they'll still receive a paycheck and I get the impression most of the cast are just playing out their contracts anyhow without Gunn.

The pattern seems to be 3 films per franchise anyhow so it's not like the third film underperforming derails things. Although I suspect the Guardians were planned to appear in other cosmic films going forward a bit like how Iron Man has been in far more films than his own trilogy. I'm happy to support those kinds of appearances in the same way I'm happily watching the guardians in Avengers again.

14 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I also meant to say that I hope GoTG 3 suffers a notable drop in audience from GoTG 1 and 2. To show to Disney that their weak-kneed decision had financial consequences. Though I don't want it to outright fail.

I suspect if you asked the vast majority of people who will go see GotG3, "Do you think firing James Gunn from the film will make it worse?" would respond something to the effect of "Who?"

20 hours ago, red snow said:

Probably the wisest move DC films have made. But they should really have him doing green lantern corps. Although I think you're not allowed to make a DC film unless Harley Quinn is in it. They should just hand Gunn the keys and let him cut loose. But way to test him by giving him a sequel to arguably the worst comic film made. I guess some would make a similar comparison with green lantern but more time has passed.

They should release at a similar time to guardians 3. So I can financially let Disney know how I feel about Gunn's firing.

Strong words given that Cat Woman was a thing.  

3 hours ago, hauberk said:

Strong words given that Cat Woman was a thing.  

I meant out of the shared DC universe films. Although I know there's some that would passionately argue man of steel, justice League or BvS were worse than suicide squad. It's a competitive field!

Batman and robin was also a thing :)

I find myself struggling to be too harsh to Suicide Squad, because whilst I very much didn't enjoy it, I can't help but think that wasn't the film they intended to make, in a way that BvS clearly was. Now I don't think there was a lost gem there, (again BvS, was crap) but maybe a slightly more coherent film was.

1 hour ago, The BlackBear said:

I find myself struggling to be too harsh to Suicide Squad, because whilst I very much didn't enjoy it, I can't help but think that wasn't the film they intended to make, in a way that BvS clearly was. Now I don't think there was a lost gem there, (again BvS, was crap) but maybe a slightly more coherent film was.

Intentionally bad versus unintentionally bad? Strange how there's no demand for an "Ayer" cut of the film like there is for the Snyder cut of Justice League.

2 hours ago, red snow said:

Intentionally bad versus unintentionally bad? Strange how there's no demand for an "Ayer" cut of the film like there is for the Snyder cut of Justice League.

Because people don't care enough about SS to get up in arms about it?

JL, I can see people getting miffed about not seeing their childhood heroes get their on screen due like Avengers did. SS, not so much. Shrug and move on.

If the first GotG had bombed, no one would've cared beyond the minority comic fan. I grew up reading Marvel (X-Men mostly) and never heard of GotG before the movie was announced. If the third GotG bombs now, people will be clamoring for a "Gunn version" or something equally unrealistic.

2 hours ago, Myrddin said:

Because people don't care enough about SS to get up in arms about it?

JL, I can see people getting miffed about not seeing their childhood heroes get their on screen due like Avengers did. SS, not so much. Shrug and move on.

If the first GotG had bombed, no one would've cared beyond the minority comic fan. I grew up reading Marvel (X-Men mostly) and never heard of GotG before the movie was announced. If the third GotG bombs now, people will be clamoring for a "Gunn version" or something equally unrealistic.

I agree. Marvel have to be pretty confident that whoever directs GOTG 3 will do a solid job or the knives will be out. Although a "Gunn cut" will be impossible as he will never film footage. 

A similar argument is made with the "Snyder" cut in the sense there was apparently never a fully completed version by him so unless they do post production we'll never get to see his version. Suicide squad on the other hand feels like it was possibly just very badly edited. There may even be a mediocre film in there somewhere. But I agree people aren't as invested in that franchise.

4 hours ago, HokieStone said:

How can there be a sequel since Black Panther is dead?  ;)

Marvel must be kicking themselves at that own goal. They've lost half the cast as well so there's not much to fall back on. Shuri might have survived so I'd be curious to see her take on the black panther mantle and I thought M'Baku was really cool so be good to see his role expanded upon. Still a ballsy move.

At least the Spider-Man sequel is able to use the clone saga storyline to get around not having the original Peter Parker. I wonder if the character will know he's a clone in the film?

I also tend to think there was never going to be a third GOTG film because how would that work with just Rocket and Nebula? It'd be super depressing. So to save face they "fired" Gunn and put the film on hold. They clearly just pretended there was a third film so viewers would think the guardians had plot armour for infinity war.

3 hours ago, red snow said:

Marvel must be kicking themselves at that own goal. They've lost half the cast as well so there's not much to fall back on. Shuri might have survived so I'd be curious to see her take on the black panther mantle and I thought M'Baku was really cool so be good to see his role expanded upon. Still a ballsy move.

At least the Spider-Man sequel is able to use the clone saga storyline to get around not having the original Peter Parker. I wonder if the character will know he's a clone in the film?

I also tend to think there was never going to be a third GOTG film because how would that work with just Rocket and Nebula? It'd be super depressing. So to save face they "fired" Gunn and put the film on hold. They clearly just pretended there was a third film so viewers would think the guardians had plot armour for infinity war.

Um, are you seriously of the opinion most of the deaths in Infinity War are permanent? Because they won't be. I suspect a couple of deaths sure (Cap or Iron Man,) but the vast majority are all being un-dusted.

Or is this a case of me just having woken, up and missed the sarcasm?

24 minutes ago, The BlackBear said:

Um, are you seriously of the opinion most of the deaths in Infinity War are permanent? Because they won't be. I suspect a couple of deaths sure (Cap or Iron Man,) but the vast majority are all being un-dusted.

Or is this a case of me just having woken, up and missed the sarcasm?

It's definitely the latter  I was just riffing of hokiestone's comment :)

my sarcasm was probably on the plausible side as I was using my geek comic knowledge to "no prize" fix the errors 

Archived