MCU - X

Which Tyler

On 10/13/2018 at 9:15 AM, Spockydog said:

Disney and Marvel are setting some very dangerous precedents here. 

Yes.   It's a post due process era we've ushered in, so very chivalrously,  for the womens.   Now everybody gets fired.  If Gunn's going was the only one that burned your nostrils, it's a good time to remember that the left also never deserved the power to put public firing pressure on people either.  Those were also bad faith efforts that bypassed a person's normal right to a defense and the following of procedures we call civilization. 

Those regular procedures weren't being applied to a whole class of abusers, though, so we all felt cozy and warm about discarding the rules for a while to get the jerks gone from positions of power.  It was an orgasm of sudden effective change in an age old stagnant nightmare.  Now enough time has passed that the "uh oh" phase is setting in, though.   Because now everybody is toast.  Anyone with a bad faith effort wins and you get a pillowcase thrown over your head before you ever get a chance to weigh in.   Ah, progress.   It's the new version of pointing at someone who irks you and crying, "Witch!"

22 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Also as noted above the movie and comics part of Marvel might as well be different companies at this point. 

Lucasfilm taking him off an upcoming book though is troubling. Echoes of the Travis fiasco.

It's not clear so I could be wrong but the implication I got from that and the  later tweets about how it was probably a Marvel not Lucasfilm decision is that when he said 'upcoming unnanounced book' he meant another comic, not a tie-in novel.

2 hours ago, polishgenius said:

It's not clear so I could be wrong but the implication I got from that and the  later tweets about how it was probably a Marvel not Lucasfilm decision is that when he said 'upcoming unnanounced book' he meant another comic, not a tie-in novel.

Ohhhhhh that would make a lot more sense.

You can sort of understand their thinking though.

From reading his own post, he says:

Today I got the call. I’m fired. Because of the negativity and vulgarity that my tweets bring. Seriously, that’s what Mark, the editor said. It was too much politics, too much vulgarity, too much negativity on my part.

Basically, because I was not civil. The editor said he had made the call. He seemed genuinely upset at my tweets and profanity, so maybe that’s accurate. And again, that’s his right to do so. If they honestly feel that my presence will damage the book, I don’t want that. 

Seems like he is very active leftist author on twitter and his comments caused a shit storm, and Marvel is fed up with his tweeting about political topics causing the publicity that it does. I guess that brings you into the whole discussion of what are people allowed to do publicly, in their personal life, and how that relates to what sort of a job you have.

What gets me is the fucking Gammon Army telling Chuck, and any other celebrity that they don't agree with, that because they are not politicians they should shut up about politics. 

Wendig was fired not because he is a vulgarian, but because Trump's mate runs Marvel Comics. I mean how could the company that produces Deadpool have the brassneck to fire anyone for having a potty mouth?

This photo of Gwyneth Paltrow looks pretty uncomforatable, and it could be fake. I won't say what it is because it's spoilery.

https://www.cbr.com/avengers-4-leak-pepper-potts-rescue/

Spoiler

According to the article Rescue first appeared in a 2009 Iron man comic. That's after Iron Man, but 4 years before Iron Man 3 which was the first time Pepper Potts wore a Stark Tech armoured suit in the MCU.

The way the Rescue suit's capability is described in it's comic version seems a tad sexist. I would think that if this development is true they might give the suit some limited combat / offensive capability, because having no offensive capability means Rescue can't really operate by herself in combat zones, which means always needing a combat support crew. If movie Pepper wants to be Rescue, I can't see her being willing to always have to bring a support crew.

It also seems like Paltrow might have signed up for ongoing appearances in the MCU. I can't see Marvel investing time and movie budget into bring this character online for a one and done appearance. Unless it's to give Pepper an heroic death, to make it so that even though Iron Man wins, he'll still lose something of huge personal importance in the process. Possibly breaking him and thus ending his will to continue to be Iron Man.

8 hours ago, Bastard of Boston said:

To go along with those reports of the Loki and Scarlet Witch shows, Disney is now rumored to be developing a Bucky/Falcon show, per Variety.

and we were just discussing a few days ago how a Bucky Captain America/falcon team up would make a good film! Maybe he will be Captain America when the show comes out? I think this would have more potential in my opinion than the previous two - although I guess if they go all out with Loki it could be a lot of fun.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, KingintheNorth4 said:

The new Captain Marvel trailer definitely looked great, but Brie Larson's line delivery was just so wooden. It's like she took a line delivery class from Hayden Christensen.

I think it's probably more that she wasn't delivering any punch lines or jokes which is a shock for the MCU. It looks like they will still be there courtesy of Fury though 

It also seems the kree have wipes her memory which may mean the rather flat lines are very intentional. Her arc in the film could be about reconnecting with her paat self. Or it may just be a non wisecracking hero which would actually be refreshing from the MCU

I'm still pretty underwhelmed by everything I've seen around this movie. Maybe I just don't get it, but its got a 'Marvel's version of Green Lantern' feel to me, which is maybe holding me back. 

The trailers don't really even hint at there being much of a story which is concerning, most of it looks to be some sort of origin tale, which I am fearful of. One thing I don't care about as well is flashy space battles that look like they were taken out of a computer game, and this seems to have a few of those. 

As for Brie's acting, I think it makes sense if she is trying to portray a woman who has been living with aliens and away from earth for so long for her to be a bit robotic. 

The one thing I did notice is the real lack of humour throughout the trailer, there were the occasional lines but mostly it seems rather serious and one-note. 

Archived