MCU - X

Which Tyler

The Shang-Chi movie is exciting. Something new for the movies, a martial arts film, hopefully with a similar approach as Black Panther: using the movie as a way to explore Asian culture. Presumably this is Marvel trying to crack the Chinese market, with all that goes along with that, good and bad. Lots of potential. 

The CM trailer looks good. Looking forward to this one. 

2 hours ago, mormont said:

The Shang-Chi movie is exciting. Something new for the movies, a martial arts film, hopefully with a similar approach as Black Panther: using the movie as a way to explore Asian culture. Presumably this is Marvel trying to crack the Chinese market, with all that goes along with that, good and bad. Lots of potential. 

The CM trailer looks good. Looking forward to this one. 

I'm only vaguely familiar with the character who always came off as Bruce Lee. I can't recall if he's tied to a greater mythology (in the style of iron fist) as i think they may need to tap into more than just martial arts crimefighter (although this works for batman he has villains to go with it). But the plus side is a potentially blank slate allows them to play around with the property so I'm intrigued by the announcement.

Maybe they could riff on some of the suggestions many made about iron fist where it could be an asian American as the focus?

2 hours ago, red snow said:

I'm only vaguely familiar with the character who always came off as Bruce Lee.

For good reason. But he does have some additional twists. He was the son of Fu Manchu, who Marvel oddly had the rights to: trained by his father (who he believed to be a good man) to be an assassin. He then rebels when he realises daddy's a bad 'un, and opposes him. Now, clearly the MCU is not going near the Fu Manchu stuff, but they absolutely do love a father-son dynamic. 

I've read that they do intend to also use the Asian-American dynamic and they could even build in some K'un Lun stuff, seeing as that mythos is free now, since I believe it did cross over in the comics. So in some senses we could be getting the Asian-American Iron Fist people wanted to see, only without the Iron Fist and in the movies. 

26 minutes ago, The BlackBear said:

I thought the tone of the trailer was fine. Didn't we go over this? The first trailer is usually pretty light on the jokes, they're introducing the main themes of the character and plot, then the second one of more lighthearted.

Isn't this the second trailer? So far I've seen little on plot or jokes. Makes me worry.

8 minutes ago, The BlackBear said:

First full length trailer, there is usually a teaser and then two trailers. Although the teasers are getting longer and longer. :dunno:

pff.. well I can barely tell the difference if I'm honest :D. Having said that, there have been a few first trailers that have underwhelmed me but the second ones brought up my interest so I'm willing to give it a shot. But Marvel have shown they are capable of making sub-par average movies as well as great ones so I'm not too excited.

The trailer looked cool, but what's up with Brie Larson's dialogue? She's coming off like a robot and almost like she's bored. I know Brie Larson is much better than this, she was amazing in Room; so I'm gona have to blame this on the director, because something is up. She's not playing a robot like Mr. Data right?

I'm not wowed by that trailer. Doesn't look bad, just a bit Phase 1. Doesn't have the pop that Thor 3 or Black Panther did in the trailers that carried over to the films.

Mind you, I wasn't greatly enthused by the trailers for Infinity War and that proved fantastically executed so it's not necessarily a great indication.

I'm not all that happy that we seem to have seen Captain Marvel at her full power. And that battle seems like it's the final battle, given she's in her red/blue/gold suit. I guess that could be mid movie though. I think there's got to be a lot of plot unrevealed, which is how I like my trailers, because I hate it when I feel like I've seen all the important parts of a movie in the trailers. 

I assume we have the Captain Marvel trailer now, because the Avengers 4 trailer will be showing her off a bit as well.

4 hours ago, sifth said:

The trailer looked cool, but what's up with Brie Larson's dialogue? She's coming off like a robot and almost like she's bored. I know Brie Larson is much better than this, she was amazing in Room; so I'm gona have to blame this on the director, because something is up. She's not playing a robot like Mr. Data right?

Like I said on the previous page it could be intentional. The trailer strongly suggests that her kree rescue/transfusion has somehow resulted in memory loss (accidentally or intentionally by the kree) so the flat delivery could be on purpose.

6 hours ago, mormont said:

For good reason. But he does have some additional twists. He was the son of Fu Manchu, who Marvel oddly had the rights to: trained by his father (who he believed to be a good man) to be an assassin. He then rebels when he realises daddy's a bad 'un, and opposes him. Now, clearly the MCU is not going near the Fu Manchu stuff, but they absolutely do love a father-son dynamic. 

I've read that they do intend to also use the Asian-American dynamic and they could even build in some K'un Lun stuff, seeing as that mythos is free now, since I believe it did cross over in the comics. So in some senses we could be getting the Asian-American Iron Fist people wanted to see, only without the Iron Fist and in the movies. 

It all sounds promising and the "fighting evil dad" works as an origin movie plot.

I think i've only read shang chi in an x-men 2 parter from the 90s (with great art by carlos pacheco) where he was fighting the hand as a martial arts cop. The other was in a marvel knights team book.

Pinching some kun lun material from iron fist wouldn't harm and would put to rest that marvel Netflix wont be part of MCU continuity. Because why would anyone want to keep the k'un l'un of iron fist for the movies. Although colleen wing would be welcome back

Archived