MCU - X

Which Tyler

16 hours ago, Corvinus said:

What other trailer is expected later this week?

Collider is claiming Spiderman trailer is dropping this Saturday by Sony.

/scatters grains of salt

I’m wondering if there might be a hint to Spider-Man being alive in the trailer, I know some people had theorised that they’re all trapped in the soul stone and could have their own thing going on in there. It’d make sense of the trailers this week, Captain Marvel to remind everyone she exists, Avengers where we see her and hint Spider-Man is around, Spider-Man trailer.

This is probably the most excited I’ve been for a trailer though, there’s a lot we don’t know about this film so literally any scene will tell us a bit. Oh and the name of the film, that’ll be nice,

7 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Not a surprise.. but seriously? 

Well, i imagine incredibles 2 is thr other serious contender which is also a Disney superhero filming. I would probably have balked at the lego movie being nominated a few agos until i actually saw it.

Congratulations to Black Panther for getting nominated. But I don't agree with it being nominated. I liked the move a lot, but it wasn't best picture great.

Now into the Spiderverse for best animated. That totally looks to deserve nomination AND the win. Still 100%, 9/10 on Rotten tomatoes with 71 reviews.

Well the other noms for BP for a drama are:
“Black Panther”
“BlacKkKlansman”
“Bohemian Rhapsody”
“If Beale Street Could Talk”

“A Star Is Born”

So I've seen 4 of those (Beale street I didn't see) and it must be a seriously weak year if this is the best they can come up with. BlacKKKlansman is the standout there and what I would vote for, I'm pretty surprised by the others.

Black Panther was certainly not the best Marvel movie last year and I would be struggling to call it even the second best ahead of Wasp and Ant Man. I thought it was deeply flawed and in the 3rd tier of Marvel movies, in a bin with Dr Strange and Thor. 

Very excited by Into the Spider-Verse though, it has little chance to win against Incredibles 2 or Isle of Dogs.

26 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Heh, I thought ant man 2 was the most average film marvel has put out. There was nothing wrong with it, but I could barely remember it an hour after watching it.

Oh I agree, it was bang average and utterly forgettable. That I am struggling to say that Black Panther was any better than it sums up my feelings for that movie. 

If I was to tier the MCU movies I think I would do it like this:

Tier 1
Winter Soldier
Civil War
Infinity War
Avengers 1
GotG
Spidey Homecoming
Thor 3

Tier 2
Iron man 1
Thor 1
Cap America 1
Ant Man
GotG 2
Incredible Hulk (I actually really like the first half.. so what!!)
Ant Man 2
Iron man 3

Tier 3
Dr Strange
Thor 2
Iron man 2
Avengers 2

I'd say Black Panther was hovering between Tiers 2 and 3. Its definitely more interesting than Thor 2 but also has so many elements that are outright bad or embarrassing that I'm not sure where to place it. 

Just now, mormont said:

Black Panther very much deserves a nomination. I do hope it wins, but that's probably going to be a step too far for some people. 

I'm interested to know why you think it deserves it? What did you like about the movie? Would you say it was better than Infinity Wars?

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Well the other noms for BP for a drama are:
“Black Panther”
“BlacKkKlansman”
“Bohemian Rhapsody”
“If Beale Street Could Talk”

“A Star Is Born”

So I've seen 4 of those (Beale street I didn't see) and it must be a seriously weak year if this is the best they can come up with. BlacKKKlansman is the standout there and what I would vote for, I'm pretty surprised by the others.

Black Panther was certainly not the best Marvel movie last year and I would be struggling to call it even the second best ahead of Wasp and Ant Man. I thought it was deeply flawed and in the 3rd tier of Marvel movies, in a bin with Dr Strange and Thor. 

It is indeed a shockingly poor line-up. You have to wonder if this is really going to be similar for the Oscars.

Star is Born was pretty good and you could see why that is nominated. BP for me not in the upper tier of Marvel films either.

Black Panther was possibly the most over hyped film of 2018 for me. It was alright, don't get me wrong, but people I work with were making it out like it was one of the greatest films ever made. All things considered I think T'Challa had a much stronger arc during Civil War, since he showed strong growth as a character. M'baku, Klaw and Killmonger were the standout characters for me. It honestly reminded me of Mad Max Furry Road at times, where T'Challa didn't feel like the main character of his own movie.

26 minutes ago, sifth said:

M'baku, Klaw and Killmonger were the standout characters for me. It honestly reminded me of Mad Max Furry Road at times, where T'Challa didn't feel like the main character of his own movie.

Klaw and Killmonger are the only enjoyable aspects of the movie for me, and maybe the only reason I don't think the film is 100% awful. 
Its a massive shame they killed Klaw off so early because Serkis really captured an over the top tone that fit the movie. I agree that Black Panther himself took a back seat in his own movie, but I don't always think that is a bad thing, and Fury Road worked well despite this. But you need good side characters and relationships to make it work, and BP didn't have that. Some of the side characters were so wooden and empty or just irritating that I wished they all fell off a cliff. The sister particularly got up my nose, everytime she was on screen I thought I was watching Spy Kids.

Otherwise the movie has little going for it. It was tonally inconsistent, veering wilding for huge melodrama to comedy and never pulling it off in the way Ragnarok managed, or even Ant Man & the Wasp. 

The plot had elements that you could imagine were interesting, to do with isolation and technology, but that was wasted on a paint by numbers plot I felt I'd seen a million times before holding it up. 

And the action was awful, the fights choreography was really sub standard.. thought not Iron Fist bad, but certainly every season of Daredevil wipes the floor with what we saw. Combine that with easily the worst CGI in recent MCU memory (seriously is there a story about what happened here because I am astounded about how awful that final fight was, it was as if zach snyder was drafted in to film it). Every scene looked like it was shot in a tiny studio with a green painted wall. 

Just writing about the movie has reminded me now of all the elements that I didn't like about it. So yeah, maybe it is Tier 3.

Archived