MCU - X

Which Tyler

18 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Yep, and how does that spoiler Infinity War?  We already knew the two were one half of the whole.  I think it was just bs marketing to build hype.

I suppose the endgame happens after most of the pieces have been removed from the board, which is a good description of what happens between the two films - but it's still vague enough not to really be a spoiler.

5 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Ant man & the Wasp knew what it was though. Just like Ant Man it was a smaller scale movie that wasn't really trying to break any boundaries (though I wonder if the Edgar Wright version would have). I just see them as mildly entertaining fluff movies that are pretty predictable and entertaining. But they are at the very least competent.

It was pretty much just a very fun popcorn movie.  And there's nothing wrong with that.  Marvel's basically turned making popcorn movies into an art form at this point.  I don't even remember the last time I didn't like one of their movies.  Thor 2 or Iron Man 3, I'd imagine.  

Ant-Man & the Wasp was much like the first film.  Dumb, fun, and worth watching if you're into superhero movies.  The action is great and creative, the writing is consistently funny, and the cast continues to be pretty much perfect.  

19 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

:stunned: Surely not.

Yeah based on that sole trailer, it does appear that Ant Man & the Wasp should be viewed before Endgame. My sentiments on that movie are much like @briantw and found it a light and fun comedy that you shouldn't take too seriously.

I'll spoiler this just in case but I hope Scott Lang's appearance isn't

Spoiler

Going to lead to time travel shenanigans via the quantum realm as a solution to unsnap everyone. I don't even remember what the powers of the quantum realm provide (other than being able to go without food and water for 30 years). Any theories on how that would work?

That was a shockingly uninteresting trailer/teaser for the next Avengers film.

I was not impressed by the Captain Marvel teaser a few months ago but but the trailer they just released looked good.

Brie Larson really looks the part ( and very cute with a cap on). I like the look of her powers, and costume.

But this Avengers trailer is as low key as possible. Hopefully we will a real trailer at some point.

On 12/7/2018 at 3:48 PM, Rhom said:

Agreed.... production companies can't win.  They either get accused of "revealing the whole movie" or of providing "nothing."

I thought the trailer was perfect for a teaser.

There's a middle road between not showing anything ( like this one does, it really does feel like 2 minutes of nothing like BFC says) or showing most of the film in a trailer, which you're certainly right about, just happens too much and production companies are rightly called out about such amateurism.

Of course you can argue does this film need a trailer and no it probably doesn't because of all the hype, I'd certainly see it without any promotion.

But if you're going to do an "official trailer", this is lame.

44 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

There's a middle road between not showing anything ( like this one does, it really does feel like 2 minutes of nothing like BFC says) or showing most of the film in a trailer, which you're certainly right about, just happens too much and production companies are rightly called out about such amateurism.

Of course you can argue does this film need a trailer and no it probably doesn't because of all the hype, I'd certainly see it without any promotion.

But if you're going to do an "official trailer", this is lame.

I think they released it to social media with the intention of saying "Official trailer" just to get more views and chatter online about it. I mean, how could it not be official if it's freaking Marvel releasing it. 

There will be a more informative trailer, probably by Super Bowl or so (Feb 3), that should whet the average MCU and comic book fans' appetite.

Not really getting the 'not a real trailer' argument, it's not meant to be. this is just to keep it fresh in the mind and help bridge the gap between films. And by it's very nature this'll be a very easy to spoil film (what with much of the cast coming back, we all know it, but you can't show it.) I think there'll be a game changer in Captain Marvel, and they obviously can't show what it is yet.

8 hours ago, Calibandar said:

That was a shockingly uninteresting trailer/teaser for the next Avengers film.

I was not impressed by the Captain Marvel teaser a few months ago but but the trailer they just released looked good.

Brie Larson really looks the part ( and very cute with a cap on). I like the look of her powers, and costume.

But this Avengers trailer is as low key as possible. Hopefully we will a real trailer at some point.

Problem is they can't show anything without spoiling major plot points.  We're all seeing the movie anyway, so they don't really need to sell us on it in the first place. 

On 12/8/2018 at 9:02 AM, SpaceChampion said:

Best Picture is not about Best Story.  It's for the producers, about the production as a production.  Same reason Return of the King could be nominated and win as Best Picture, it's all about the massive work that went into the production, it's all obvious on the screen that it took a lot of work coordinating many parts moving together.

Really? So how come quite a few relatively straight forward to produce movies have won BP? Still don't see how any of what you say commends BP to be best picture over other movies from 2018. I think an MCU movie is going to have to win a best picture at some point in recognition of the whole enormous venture. But I don;t think BP is quite good enough to be that movie.

I thought the trailer was fine. In an ideal world i wouldn't see any of the dusted characters until i was at the cinema so i was glad none if them were to be seen in the trailer. 

The only thing that seemed a bit off was Scott Lang who still seemed far too down to earth and chipper for someone who has lost his family and witnessed an apocalyptic event. Everyone else thankfully seemed to be reacting in a proportional way.

1 hour ago, red snow said:

The only thing that seemed a bit off was Scott Lang who still seemed far too down to earth and chipper for someone who has lost his family and witnessed an apocalyptic event. Everyone else thankfully seemed to be reacting in a proportional way.

It's his coping mechanism maybe?

16 minutes ago, The BlackBear said:

It's his coping mechanism maybe?

Possibly. I think most people would be a bit more assertive but i guess besides Spider-Man he is the character most in awe of captain America and co. I guess most people would be submissive to them.

At least it's not the case of everyone doing comedy routines.

I loved the trailer, I hope we don’t see anymore until the release. Thing is, what action is there to show before ‘the plan’ (whatever that is) is enacted? Hawkeye/Ronin seems to be finding enemies I guess. But I don’t wanna know what the plan is, and I can’t see what else can happen that early in the movie. I’d like them to delve into what happens to Earth when 50% of everyone vanishes.

Only two things slightly bugged me: the line “I know it will, cos I don’t know what I’m gonna do if it doesn’t” is a bit awkward. “It has to” sounds better to me. And also, I’m not sure how we’re supposed to feel about the Scott Lang bit. The way it’s played after the logo/title makes it seem like it supposed to be a surprise, but slightly for the wrong reason ... it’s surprising for Cap, Black Widow and everyone who didn’t see AM&tW (but who did notice Scott in the missing list earlier in the trailer), for everyone else we’re just wondering how he got out the quantum realm. Just feels like the context doesn’t quite work in a trailer.

23 minutes ago, williamjm said:

He might also have an idea about what could be done about it, which could be why he's not too depressed.

There's also a theory going around that the Scott in the trailer is actually in the past. Which means he would have no idea that the snap even happened. The whole trailer is meant to make you think Scott is at the front door, when in fact he's actually visiting the hideout long before the Avengers moved in.

6 hours ago, williamjm said:

He might also have an idea about what could be done about it, which could be why he's not too depressed.

That could work.

6 hours ago, sifth said:

There's also a theory going around that the Scott in the trailer is actually in the past. Which means he would have no idea that the snap even happened. The whole trailer is meant to make you think Scott is at the front door, when in fact he's actually visiting the hideout long before the Avengers moved in.

That seems overly sleight if hand for a trailer but also a possibility

7 hours ago, sifth said:

No. This is people trying to be too clever. If there is time travel in this movie, it is almost surely via the quantum realm. And where is the way to get into the quantum realm? It's in that van, the one that's clearly in the shot with Scott Lang. It's no accident that's there.

Besides, none of Scott's dialogue works with past-Scott.

Archived