MCU - X

Which Tyler

1 hour ago, mormont said:

No. This is people trying to be too clever. If there is time travel in this movie, it is almost surely via the quantum realm. And where is the way to get into the quantum realm? It's in that van, the one that's clearly in the shot with Scott Lang. It's no accident that's there.

Besides, none of Scott's dialogue works with past-Scott.

You know the Van used at the end of the Avengers trailer is a completely different one from Ant Man and Wasp, right? I just double checked just to make sure.

Also you know that if Scott traveled back in time he'd still have all of his moires of the events just before the snap. So yea, he'd know about what went down in Germany. Odds are he's going to the Avengers in the past, before they moved in, with Scott himself not knowing this. He would in theory be trying to get their help to return back to the present time and not even know about the snap.

Add to that, on the very top of the message it says "Archived", with a possible year next to it. 

3 hours ago, mormont said:

No. This is people trying to be too clever. If there is time travel in this movie, it is almost surely via the quantum realm. And where is the way to get into the quantum realm? It's in that van, the one that's clearly in the shot with Scott Lang. It's no accident that's there.

Besides, none of Scott's dialogue works with past-Scott.

Surely it's immediate post Ant Man and the Wasp Scott, and he doesn't know anything about the snap, because he was in the quantum realm when it happened, all he knows is that he lost contact with "home base" and somehow wound up in 2014(?). And Man is in 2015, so in 2015 Scott will be known to Cap.

Of course it's post snap Cap and Black Widow, which now explains the hair change for BW. We can easily tell when a scene is set based on whether BW has long red hair or cropped blonde hair.

Cap and Widow will go and find Pym's stuff and magically figure out how to send a message back to 2014 Cap and Widow (cue scenes with long red hair Widow) to help Scott get back to 2018, and also tell 2014 Widow and Cap to "tell Thor to aim for the head in Wakanda", and they will be all puzzled. Then, rewind back to the big fight in Wakanda, Cap and Widow suddenly realise, when Thor shows up in Wakanda of all places, that they need to tell him to aim for Thano's head. He does that and bang, the snap never happens. Then a week later, Captain Marvel shows up and says "what's the emergency guys?" thus creating a time paradox, whereby she received a pager message that Nick Fury never sent. And everyone will be like "eh, Thor took care of it. You can put your green suit back on." And thus the power balance is restored, whereby Thor is still the most powerful hero in the MCU.

36 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

You guys are waaaaaaay overthinking this.

Totally. There’s no current reason to think anything other than what we’re shown is happening; Scott somehow gets out of the quantum realm (which, while an explanation would be nice, isn’t that unlikely - all he needs is for someone to go up there and hear him talking on one of the headsets, pick it up, Scott says “oh hey press x, y and z will ya” and bam, he’s out), while Cap and BW and Thor fly back to Avengers HQ Scott drives there, probably leaving them enough time to see which Avengers have checked in, oh hey Scott and Shuri and Peter haven’t they must have been snapped OH SHIT Scott’s at the door? Is this an old message? “No” confirms Black Widow, it’s the front door. 2018 Cap, 2018 Black Widow, 2018 Scott. Scott comes in, says “so what the fuck”, Black Widow explains about Thanos.

Certainly not ruling out time travel, but if that happens it’ll be Scott bringing the McGuffin that enables it.

13 hours ago, john said:

I don’t think it’s too out of character for Lang to be cheerful.  He’s always cheerful when his life is going to shit.

I guess this is really establishing him as cheerful. I guess his daughter might have survived which would be something for him to be happy about. That or he is in possession of info meaning he knows they aren't dead, dead.

It feels like avengers 4 will need to spend sometime with Scott resolving his post credits scene. It'd be nice if he has a key role given he was one of few characters not to appear in last film (likewise for hawkeye)

18 hours ago, sifth said:

You know the Van used at the end of the Avengers trailer is a completely different one from Ant Man and Wasp, right? I just double checked just to make sure.

Also you know that if Scott traveled back in time he'd still have all of his moires of the events just before the snap. So yea, he'd know about what went down in Germany. Odds are he's going to the Avengers in the past, before they moved in, with Scott himself not knowing this. He would in theory be trying to get their help to return back to the present time and not even know about the snap.

Add to that, on the very top of the message it says "Archived", with a possible year next to it. 

So where it says "Archived", just wanna point something out. Remember the Infinity War trailer, where Cap is holding Thanos' hand? You only see the power and space stone in the Gauntlet, and at that point in the film he was just missing the mind stone. So being that the digitally erased the stones he had, they could easily digitally add something to the trailer, say footage of a certain scene with a dude and his van  

3 hours ago, Bastard of Boston said:

The Hollywood Reporter revealed that Scott Derrickson will be back to direct Doctor Strange 2. I'm glad -- I liked the first one, and after his house burned down, he deserved some good news.

This seems to be part of their business model... Like Gunn with GotG (until tweet-gate).... The Russo's w/ Capt. America.... Peyton Reed w/ Ant Man....  once they find a director who can guide a franchise, they let them run with the ball... it seems to be working

There was quite an interesting podcast, Sean Carroll’s Mindscape, with Scott Derrickson about how he got the job for the first one. Talks about a whole bunch of stuff, but also how Marvel find that line between making sure you don’t fuck it up but still make it good, make it your own.

I'd hope that Dr Strange 2 will be a lot better than the totally underwhelming first movie. My hope is that the director was a little overwhelmed at first and didn't know how to push the barriers against the Marvel execs and the second movie will be a lot braver and more idiosyncratic.

That first movie has moments of creativity, but overall was rolled up in a pretty bland story, pretty cookie cutter in its writing. One or two half decent CGI scenes never managed to lift it out of the mediocre drawer. 

Fingers crossed the next one will be a lot more psychedelic and 'Strange'

6 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

This seems to be part of their business model... Like Gunn with GotG (until tweet-gate).... The Russo's w/ Capt. America.... Peyton Reed w/ Ant Man....  once they find a director who can guide a franchise, they let them run with the ball... it seems to be working

Equally, the Thor franchise is an object lesson in how important that is.

• 3 weeks later...

Re-watched Ragnarok and Infinity War today since they're both on Netflix, and it really hit home who the true losers of these movies were.

The friggin Asgardians. 

There didn't seem that many of them to begin with, but Hela still kills a shitload of them. Next thing you know half of them die when Thanos takes the refugee ship. Then, not two days later, he kills half of them again.

Poor little mites. I'm pretty sure they can be classified as an endangered species at this point.

Edit: Also, Thanos is a hypocritical asshole. 300 dwarves on Nidavellir and he kills 299 of them. Guy doesn't even act on his own beliefs when it doesn't suit him.

38 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Re-watched Ragnarok and Infinity War today since they're both on Netflix, and it really hit home who the true losers of these movies were.

The friggin Asgardians. 

There didn't seem that many of them to begin with, but Hela still kills a shitload of them. Next thing you know half of them die when Thanos takes the refugee ship. Then, not two days later, he kills half of them again.

Poor little mites. I'm pretty sure they can be classified as an endangered species at this point.

Edit: Also, Thanos is a hypocritical asshole. 300 dwarves on Nidavellir and he kills 299 of them. Guy doesn't even act on his own beliefs when it doesn't suit him.

Thanos' whole plan makes zero sense.  He wants to kill half the population of the universe because his home planet had overpopulation issues?  Surely there are plenty of planets that have zero population issues.  Why kill half of their population?  Wouldn't a better plan be to introduce the technology to more primitive planets so that they can colonize the stars before overpopulation becomes such a crippling issue?  Further, if his gauntlet is so powerful, why not use it to create enough supplies to sustain the universe, or to clean planets to the point where overpopulation is no longer so destructive?  At the very least, you'd think it would make sense to do it on a planet by planet basis, because just straight killing half the universe doesn't seem to be effective as an overall strategy.

This is why the comic version where he was courting death somehow makes much more sense.  

11 minutes ago, briantw said:

Thanos' whole plan makes zero sense.  He wants to kill half the population of the universe because his home planet had overpopulation issues?  Surely there are plenty of planets that have zero population issues.  Why kill half of their population?  Wouldn't a better plan be to introduce the technology to more primitive planets so that they can colonize the stars before overpopulation becomes such a crippling issue?  Further, if his gauntlet is so powerful, why not use it to create enough supplies to sustain the universe, or to clean planets to the point where overpopulation is no longer so destructive?  At the very least, you'd think it would make sense to do it on a planet by planet basis, because just straight killing half the universe doesn't seem to be effective as an overall strategy.

This is why the comic version where he was courting death somehow makes much more sense.  

Yeah, it's not like most species can't replace a 50% loss in only one a couple generations.

But hey. He's not called "The Mad Titan" for nothing.

Edit: But this doesn't apply to the poor Asgardians. Apparently they go thousands of years between births.

2 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Yeah, it's not like most species can't replace a 50% loss in only one a couple generations.

But hey. He's not called "The Mad Titan" for nothing.

I believe Netflix summed it up pretty well by calling him an intergalactic sociopath, which even though the fanboys protested is pretty fucking true.

21 hours ago, briantw said:

I would give this 10 thumbs up if I could.

The one thing I just didn't like about Avengers is basically Thanos' entire plan that they made up.

It sucks.

2 hours ago, Calibandar said:

I would give this 10 thumbs up if I could.

The one thing I just didn't like about Avengers is basically Thanos' entire plan that they made up.

It sucks.

It was nonsense. I don't see why they couldn't have had him wooing the physical embodiment of death (as in the silver surfer cartoon) or just have him kill half the universe because he was insane instead of his ridiculous reason.

9 hours ago, red snow said:

just have him kill half the universe because he was insane instead of his ridiculous reason.

He is insane! His backstory explains why his insanity is manifesting in this particular form, but I'm pretty sure we're not meant to think his actions are a rational response to what he's gone through.

Archived