MCU - X

Which Tyler

10 hours ago, red snow said:

It was nonsense. I don't see why they couldn't have had him wooing the physical embodiment of death (as in the silver surfer cartoon) or just have him kill half the universe because he was insane instead of his ridiculous reason.

The Death Romance in the comic is pretty awful. In fact the Infinity War comic itself is really pretty stupid and uninteresting on its own as well

His ridiculous motive is what makes Thanos mad.

I don't know that the death love motive would have worked better. For example, the sacrifice he made to get the soul stone works for this motive, as he sacrifices what he loves the most for something larger than himself. It would not have made sense if he was doing it for Death.

5 hours ago, Heartofice said:

The Death Romance in the comic is pretty awful. In fact the Infinity War comic itself is really pretty stupid and uninteresting on its own as well

My point was more that killing off half the universe to get the attention of death (because if death was a conscious entity I'm sure half the universe dying at once would be noticeable) makes more sense than killing off half the universe to restore balance to planetary ecosystems. 

But yes, it may just be as it is to show us that thanos is bat shit crazy.

Eh, as motives for villains in superhero films go, it’s not the worst. Maybe IW could’ve used a line about how species typically spread across their solar system and consume all the resources, then die off due to starvation. Not the single-planet example that we got for Thanos’s home world. Plus, intelligent life makes more sense as otherwise, you’re just wiping out half the meat for meat-eating species at the same time.

I’m not big on the idea of him just being crazy, it makes it less interesting and it’s not really there in Brolin’s performance, he plays it very measured and purposeful.

58 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Wouldn’t that also mean more Cate Blanchett? Or are we talking different characters?

Different characters. Lady Death that Thanos is interested in is not much of an actual character with personality and dialogue. She's more like an abstraction of Death that exists in Thanos's head as an obsession which lends to the idea that he's insane.

I'm still mystified at what appears to be a lack of an actual plan with Thanos's motivations and collection of Infinity Stones given that he appears in the first Avengers movie with the Infinity War storyline in mind. They pulled it off well enough but they had so many movies post Avengers 1 to develop his character and have him slowly collect the stones along the way. Instead they left to deal with it until the last moment.

1 hour ago, WarGalley said:

I'm still mystified at what appears to be a lack of an actual plan with Thanos's motivations and collection of Infinity Stones given that he appears in the first Avengers movie with the Infinity War storyline in mind. They pulled it off well enough but they had so many movies post Avengers 1 to develop his character and have him slowly collect the stones along the way. Instead they left to deal with it until the last moment.

I think there was a fan theory for this.

Something about him waiting for some of the big players in the universe to be out of the way before making his move.

Like Odin. And Peter's father, Ego.

6 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Something about him waiting for some of the big players in the universe to be out of the way before making his move.

And the Sorceress Supreme

8 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

That sort of works and it would also have been nice to have a line like that somewhere in Infinity.

Also hoping the Captain Marvel and Endgame have a good reason for her only being summoned when she was and not during avengers assemble. I quite interested for the Marvel films this year and with Glass, Hellboy and some promising DC ventures/sequels it should be good. I'm not so sure about Dark Phoenix and new mutants given the delays/reshoots but if they fail it plays nicely into Disney's hands with justifying a complete reboot. That said with Jackman leaving his wolverine role behind there's nothing in the x-universe that I'm particularly attached to. Deadpool can easily exist within his own world. The question is whether the MCU fully incorporates the X-men or has them as a separate franchise? I think the problem with the X-men is that when they are successful they can drown out the rest of the marvel properties - something that has happened a lot in the comics.

3 hours ago, red snow said:

The question is whether the MCU fully incorporates the X-men or has them as a separate franchise? I think the problem with the X-men is that when they are successful they can drown out the rest of the marvel properties - something that has happened a lot in the comics.

The only versions of the X-men I've enjoyed so far on screen have been in Logan, and Colossus in Deadpool, it feels like every single attempt to put them on screen has been hampered by studio concerns or a lack of faith in the source material. You could say the same thing about the Fantastic Four. I'm really optimistic about what the MCU can do for these franchises. 

If the X-Men and FF were to basically take over the MCU properties, I don't think I would be too sad, they would make decent replacements for the Avengers. I'm not sure I want to see endless movies about new sets of Avengers every few years, but there are other ways to do large ensemble pieces.

3 hours ago, Heartofice said:

The only versions of the X-men I've enjoyed so far on screen have been in Logan, and Colossus in Deadpool, it feels like every single attempt to put them on screen has been hampered by studio concerns or a lack of faith in the source material. You could say the same thing about the Fantastic Four. I'm really optimistic about what the MCU can do for these franchises. 

If the X-Men and FF were to basically take over the MCU properties, I don't think I would be too sad, they would make decent replacements for the Avengers. I'm not sure I want to see endless movies about new sets of Avengers every few years, but there are other ways to do large ensemble pieces.

I think the main point of hype is that we'll potentially be able to see villains like Magneto, Doom, Galactus, and Apocalypse interact with the greater Marvel universe for the first time.  Doom and Magneto are two of Marvel's best villains and they can finally be featured in some films with heroes other than the X-Men (whose movies have varied from good to horrendous) or the Fantastic Four (whose movies have all been pieces of shit).

We've never seen Doom in a good movie, and that's a damn shame.

20 minutes ago, briantw said:

I think the main point of hype is that we'll potentially be able to see villains like Magneto, Doom, Galactus, and Apocalypse interact with the greater Marvel universe for the first time.  Doom and Magneto are two of Marvel's best villains and they can finally be featured in some films with heroes other than the X-Men (whose movies have varied from good to horrendous) or the Fantastic Four (whose movies have all been pieces of shit).

Yeah, I always wonder how little trust in the source material do you have to have, to keep getting Doom so wrong. I know later comic stories came up with new ideas for him, but his original version was actually pretty cool!

3 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Yeah, I always wonder how little trust in the source material do you have to have, to keep getting Doom so wrong. I know later comic stories came up with new ideas for him, but his original version was actually pretty cool!

I think it's less a lack of trust in the source material and more every writer/director wanting to create their own spin on the character.  The problem is that no one has been able to create their own spin that has lived up to the original.  

I trust Doom far more in the hands of Marvel, though, as they've managed to not really fuck anything up for a long time now.  The last Marvel movie I didn't really care for was either Thor 2 or Iron Man 3, whichever came out more recently.  And either way, that feels like decades ago now.  Marvel even managed to make Thor not suck with Ragnarok. 

20 minutes ago, briantw said:

Doom and apocalypse could both be good candidates for being phase long mastervillains. Given that the celestials are getting a film (i think via the eternals characters) they could even tie Apocalypse in with them so that he has his celestial tech.

And Doom could work so well. I'd actually like to see him as a hero at first or at least rubbing shoulders with Black Panther and wakanda as having secret, advanced societies.

4 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I'm confident they could make both work and they would help plug a gap when they have to rest the original avengers for a few years.

I think it would be hard to resist not having an avengers team with spidey, wolverine and the Thing on it. And an avengers vs x-men film.

The main issue with mutants is that there are so many of them and it can become a lazy shorthand for creating origin films - they are mutants, done.

Although if skrulls are a big feature of captain marvel it could be they already have them planned as the big thing for the next phase. Adding mutants to the mix could be messy if there are potential doppelgangers around already. Be nice if Doom is busy building a skrull detecting machine though :)

20 hours ago, WarGalley said:

That's because there was no actual plan til Ultron came out. Marvel likes to talk about how they've had all this stuff planned but the truth is Whedon through Thanos in at at the end of Avengers1 on a whim and then after he kind of ragequit Marvel after Ultron and the story group got fired, er, disbanded, a lot of the plans they did have got thrown out.

On Thanos' plan: it isn't meant to be particularly scientific. He is introduced in the movie as essentially a God, worshipped by others. His work is described in sacred tones. He isn't doing something because it makes sense. He's doing something because he has bought into an insane cult that he's the leader of, and wants to bring forward the apocalypse that he believes the galaxy needs. 

Absolutely. Maybe there are some hiccups to the overall plan with Thanos, but it isn't totally befret of super villain rationality.

Having rewatched the movie a couple times now, I think it holds up better than I initially thought after the first viewing.  

Archived