MCU - X

Which Tyler

1 hour ago, The BlackBear said:

Running them down in the order Thanos gets them in the film:

Power Stone: Appears in Guardians of the Galaxy 1, for most of the film is within a protective casing, is the MacGuffin, ends up on Xandar. Thanos ravages Xandar of screen before Infinity War.

Space Stone: Appears as the Tesseract in Captain America 1, dropped in the ocean. Tony Stark fishes it out, and it becomes the MacGuffin in Avengers 1. Is taken back to Asgard by Thor, there it remains until Loki steals it during Thor 3.

Reality Stone: Appears in Thor 2, is known as the Aether, is the MacGuffin, spends most of the film in Natalie Portman, ends up being given to the Collector by the Asgardians as they don't want two stones in one place.

Soul Stone: Has never appeared before.

Time Stone: Appears in Doctor Strange, is within the Eye of Agamotto, isn't the MacGuffin, but is integral to the resolution of the film. Doctor Strange keeps it.

Mind Stone: Appears in Avengers 1, where it is known as the Scepter, given to Loki by Thanos' minions. Reappears in Avengers 2, is what helps create Ultron's AI, and helps turn JARVIS into Vision.

He actually loses more stones pre Infinity War than he gains.

Pretty trusting/sloppy of thanos to give loki a stone really. Asgardians must be magnets gor infinity stones and just as well loki never considered going for ultimate power.

9 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

I fucking LOVED Venom. It was really poorly marketed and definitely on the sub-par side of good films, but it was fun! 

And it was a movie! Like an actual movie! You had a main character (and a half), a romance plot, a villain, trials and tribulations, personal growth... You know... things that happen in movies? And like they all kinda wanted something and they had like a reason or a hilarious god complex and they interacted with each other and GASP! Do... do you think that the real spirit of storytelling is about characters and how they interact with each other or work toward goals and not just loud noises interrupted by quippy dialogue? 

I don't hate Marvel films in general (although I would eat my own fingers before watching the Ant Man sequel again) but that formula really frustrates me sometimes and steals real emotional satisfaction from the viewing experience.

Black Panther, for instance, I thought had every piece they needed for an honest to god great film right there. RIGHT THERE. Literally in the movie. But it was all cluttered and nonsensicalized to fit the mold [GOTTA HAVE SPLOSIONS! WHERE'S THE SPLOSIONS!?!?!?!?!?!?] and build the universe further rather than just let you sink into Wakanda and its story of violent interdynastic regime change.

My real anger at Marvel films stems from them infecting everything else out there. 

Me like you. 

5 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I need to know what Black Panther did that makes someone not like that movie...

I can't speak for anyone else, and I actually liked Black Panther very much, but the clockwork action beats and studio mandate to make it biggerer and epicerer really hurt the film at the end when we want weight to each interaction of our characters. 

The end of that movie should have been just the dudes on the train track and the rest of our characters all in one room holding out to buy BP time to kill Michael B Jordan. 

2 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

I can't speak for anyone else, and I actually liked Black Panther very much, but the clockwork action beats and studio mandate to make it biggerer and epicerer really hurt the film at the end when we want weight to each interaction of our characters. 

The end of that movie should have been just the dudes on the train track and the rest of our characters all in one room holding out to buy BP time to kill Michael B Jordan. 

I agree with the general criticism of Marvel movies having to do that - they've often struggled to balance whatever else they're doing with the superhero bit, and it certainly showed badly in Winter Soldier for example despite being the best film up till phase 3 really kicked off- but I think you're being a little unfair to Black Panther: epic battle sequences are hardly out of place in stories of political dynastic upheaval and BP had been setting that one up for the whole film. At most I think you could fairly level the accusation that it wasn't necessarily filmed by someone who really knows how to set a big battle scene, and therefore came off as a series of intercutting individual scenes. Which is a fairly common problem in multi-stranded action films and one BP did fall into a little.

You're probably right though that the climactic fight between the two Panthers would have been better off held separate from the main battle, rather than intercutting with it.

23 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I agree with the general criticism of Marvel movies having to do that - they've often struggled to balance whatever else they're doing with the superhero bit, and it certainly showed badly in Winter Soldier for example despite being the best film up till phase 3 really kicked off- but I think you're being a little unfair to Black Panther: epic battle sequences are hardly out of place in stories of political dynastic upheaval and BP had been setting that one up for the whole film. At most I think you could fairly level the accusation that it wasn't necessarily filmed by someone who really knows how to set a big battle scene, and therefore came off as a series of intercutting individual scenes. Which is a fairly common problem in multi-stranded action films and one BP did fall into a little.

So I guess I'd lay it down like this:

Black Panther struggles with its ending, despite as you said setting it up well. Maybe don't devote 40% of EVERY FILM to the giant battle. Like cause then you don't have to set it up. Or do it at all. Which would keep costs down and allow you to take story time spent handwaving why people follow Killmonger and flesh that out. And then you'll save money on marketing because you won't have to make half a billion dollars just to break even which will allow you to market less which will allow you to spend less and expectations will be less so you don't need the CGI noise I close my eyes during... And so on.

Characters. It comes down to characters. And I know this is controversial but I'd rather watch my characters hang out and show me who they are and why I like/dislike them than make sure we get the end of 1st act action beat that lasts 20 minutes and makes me try to find out how much popcorn I can fit in my mouth at once because I'm bored and don't care why the noises are happening.

Save the big splosions for the team up movies. Infinity War was fucking awesome. But imagine how much more awesome all those action scenes would be if we didn't get something comparable 3 times a year.

That's my movie rant for the month. Getting it out of the way early.

2 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

That’s interesting. How did you feel about Homecoming? I really liked the quieter parts of that.

I really enjoyed that movie despite having nothing but contempt for a 3rd reboot. Sony  nailed the spirit of Spidey there in a way not seen since the first two Sam Raimi's. 

Friendly Neighborhood Spiderman. It's great. A kid who is balancing his social life with protecting his neighborhood because he feels a responsibility to do so as a physically exceptional young man. 

Peter Parker isn't supposed to have some dark family mystery to unravel or forget Jaime Foxx's birthday or whatever. His conflicts come from trying to be the Spider-Man AND Peter Parker. He doesn't fight galactic entities or giant blue lasers, his villains are thugs and gangsters. The kind of bad guys you find in a... NEIGHBORHOOD! gasp!

Homecoming was pretty great. I particularly liked that at the end of the movie it was just Parker and Bauer on a nasty ass beach. Sometimes it pays to stop and unclutter the frame during the moment of greatest drama. And it's much easier (and rewarding) to do that when you've eschewed endless mind numbing action that fails to advance the plot at all in favor of getting to see our characters say words that tell us who they are and do non-punching things to show us who they are.

7 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I need to know what Black Panther did that makes someone not like that movie...

Almost everything about it I thought was pretty dreadful. Its easier for me to list out the bits I thought were good:

- Michael B Jordan
- Andy Serkis.
- Some of the background ideas around technology and isolation.

That is pretty much it.

Everything else felt entirely manufactured and cobbled together:

The plot was a really tired rehash of other movies, at times it was like watching Lion King. 
The action is terrible, very poorly directed. In comparison to anything the Russo brothers did it was amateur hour.
Visually its maybe the worst looking Marvel movie I can think of. I don't know if there is a reason the CGI is so weak, maybe there is a story I'm not aware of, but it was very rushed. The final battle used CGI that Justice League would be ashamed of. 
War Rhinos?
The humour was totally uncomfortable, T'Challas sister's character really stands out as an unrealistic character, this cute young 'super genius', but none of the banter hit home at all. 

I think the worst crime is just how boring T'Challa is in the movie. I'd maybe forgive it, but I'd already seen him in Civil War and he was great, and I was very excited for this movie off the back of that. But they seemed to ignore all the best bits of him in Civil War and make him a dull placeholder than events can form around. Plus thinking back to many of the fight scenes in Civil War that he appears in, that looked so great, using live action to really showcase the physicality, which were CGI'd up in Black Panther to their detriment. 

For me its definitely one of the weakest MCU movies, I hated it as much I hated Dr Strange. 

4 hours ago, Heartofice said:

T'Challas sister's character really stands out as an unrealistic character, this cute young 'super genius'

What could make this black female character so incredibly unrealistic when stood next to Tony Stark?

It's a mystery.

Just now, mormont said:

What could make this black female character so incredibly unrealistic when stood literally right next to Tony Stark?

It's a mystery.

The fact she looks about 10 years old and acts like she is in Spy Kids. 

Though if you want to infer some sort of nefarious reason for not liking her thats up to you. Of course not liking Black Panther can only be ascribed to being sexist / racist / not woke enough :huh:

She's meant to be some sort of super genius, whilst at the same time being a sassy supercool hip chick, who dresses like she's in a music video, always looks on point in every shot and seems designed by a committee to sell toys to girls aged 6-12. 

She also looks far too young to be the cleverest person in Wakanda. 

She was a walking cartoon character. Like many of the characters in the movie, she didn't feel real or any more than living in 2 dimensions.

It's an amazing fact that despite the existence of years of solid social science research proving that we are all influenced to some degree by social biases, one only ever seems to meet the exceptions to the rule, people who are utterly immune to any such biases.

That said, it's definitely true that Shuri's age is the entire and only factor that influences HoI's perception here.

I've got no problem with Shuri at all, but I do agree that Black Panther was significantly hampered by the endless fucking battle that took over the 3rd act. Of course, basically all Marvel movies have that, so whatevs I guess.

Also, thanks for the rundown on the Infinity Stones. I knew some, but not all of that. I guess I thought Thanos already had the Space and Reality stones, I didn't watch the Thor movies. Also, seems real dumb that he had the Mind stone but then gave it up. I understand that any individual stone doesn't matter much to Thanos until he has all of them, but what was he giving up the Mind stone for? Did he even know if there were any stones on Earth at the time?

Archived