MCU - X

Which Tyler

3 hours ago, red snow said:

Don't feel Venom deserves its own thread and while it's technically not MCU the Spidey connection makes this best option for now.

Nowhere near as bad as the early reviews suggested but the only thing of merit is Hardy arguing with himself. The plot is nonsensical and feels like 15-20 minutes were skipped between second and third act. Also Hardy's character in first 10 minutes is completely different from the one in the rest of film like two different scripts were forced together. Michelle Williams and Riz Ahmed were underused or not able to camp it up like Hardy did.

The first extra credit scene is utterly hilarious though. I'll watch a sequel just to see

Reveal hidden contents

woody harrelson in that wig [/spolier] The second is worth it as a promo for another film

Reveal hidden contents

the animated spiderverse film. Not sure venom was an appropriate place for it but it has unique animation and comedy feel to it

One thing I was curious about was how I got the impression from this film that last year's "life" probably was a prequel to this film. There was a rumour at the time this was the case and while I haven't seen the film there were lots of things in this film that gelled with the trailer for "life"

I set a Rotten Tomatoes floor at 35% for whether I'd pay to see Venom. Of course I am willing to be swayed by recommendations of people I trust. So the question is, should I ignore the fact that Venom is looking at a sub 30% RT score, or should I trust my initial criteria and give it a miss.

It will no doubt come to Sony's movie streaming service pretty quickly, and so I'll be able to rent the movie to stream for $7 for me and my sons to watch. And it seems like that may be about the max I should be willing to pay to see the movie.

1 hour ago, Darth Richard II said:

Was there actually any connection to Spider Man at all?

Not having seen it, my guess is that the movie was shot with Spidey connecting scenes included. But if there are none in the final cut it's because Sony realised the movie was not good, and didn't want to damage the stock that Spider Man had built up with his presence and connection to the MCU. I also wouldn't be surprised if Marvel (Feige) had a final say as to whether Venom would be allowed to explicitly connect with the MCU in that way. I can see Disney wanting to be as distant as possible from a bad Spidey-verse movie.

9 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Was there actually any connection to Spider Man at all?

I'll spoiler tag this one just in case 

no. Nothing at all. I think it's deliberately set in San Francisco so it can avoid not having to acknowledge it isn't part of the MCU. The film makes it pretty clear that Sony cannot use Peter Parker Spiderman while he is in the MCU. I got the impression this world did not yet have other superheroes/villains (if it did then possible sequels should explore as the symbiote only being as powerful as the host would make supers an obvious target) The closest connection to Spiderman is that Eddie Brock did live in NY. But venom's powers do not require the symbiote being with Spider-Man beforehand. He doesn't have webs, or the insignia and it's plausible the appearance is just what symbiotes look like. His powers are more based on "suit" projections and enhanced speed and strength.

Anti-targ. I'd add the caveat that I was able to watch this with a 2for1 offer so the film cost me as much as a single issue of the venom comic would. I probably wouldn't have paid full price for it going in. I also benefitted from going in with incredibly low expectations based on early reviews eg suicide squad, justice League and while it's not a ringing endorsement it is far better than either of those films. 

If you like Tom Hardy I'd say it's well worth seeing. He seems to treat the film with the camp/contempt it deserves and if you can be on board with that it's the centre of the film. If you don't like Hardy and his often OTT approach (think Taboo but as a man with no confidence) then avoid.

The action is pretty good besides some confusing too fast CGI clashes in the dark. It's plausible why we mainly see Hardy and not full on venom and I don't recall seeing other films using venoms projection/tendril powers.

The plot is awful though and when Riz Ahmed and Michelle Williams can't make a line work you know there are severe problems with the script. There's a point between the second and third act where it felt like 15-20 minutes of footage was deleted as there is a character revelation that's essential to the conclusion that comes out of nowhere. If they had earned the revelation those missing scenes would have made the film a lot more interesting. As it is it's a frustratingly sloppy part of the plot.

It feels like the film wanted to bridge the maturer approach of Logan and Deadpool but keeping it in an amazing Spiderman film approach. It thankfully only wants to set up the venom franchise and not every other Spidey villain spin off.

I wouldnt warrant spending a full ticket price but would definitely encourage watching it on home release because while there's a lot of problems Hardy's Eddie/venom interactions are fun and the action is different enough from most super films. 

Just read the Venom film synopsis on Wikipedia. As someone who still owns the Venom #1 this is supposedly based on, I think I'll have to give this movie a pass. 

@red snow spoiler question for you. 

Spoiler

In the post-credits scene, do you actually see Cletus Kasady or is he just referenced?

Ref the Captain Marvel trailer. Something bothered me a little bit about it after having thought about it for a bit, though I did really like it. There is really very little indication in the trailer that there's going to be the typical sort of Marvel humour in the movie. I'm pretty sure there will be, so why do you think they didn't really show that there is going to be Marvel humour (almost it's own genre of "comedic style" a bit like Arnie movies are their own genre of comedic style).

Even in the Black Panther trailer, the "I never freeze" line was presented as obviously having a humorous front and / or back end to it, which it did. Nothing from Brie Larsen's lines in the trailer suggested anything comedic in her character. I don't want her character to be dour and humourless. I don't think she will be, but the trailer isn't telling me that.

I hope the next trailer has Brie delivering a comedic line.

5 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Well she did punch that old lady in the face.

True. Why didn't I remember that? I think because a lot of reactions were more "gasp, why did she do that?" than "Lol, Skrulls can't fool her". But what will be really funny is if the old lady turns out to not be a Skrull, and Captain Marvel actually does punch an old lady in the face (as long as she doesn't die of course) as one of her first public acts. She's possibly suffering from a bit of PTSD, and old people do look a bit Skrull-y. I can imagine that whole L-train thing happening very early on, and her bweeming something on the roof of the train is what gets SHIELD / Fury's attention.

But it probably won't be as slapstick as that, and the old lady really will be a Skrull. The humour will be her not transforming, but doing all the combat athletics of a Skrull soldier in the form of an old lady. If that's the case, hopefully Captain Marvel winds up splatting the old lady against the wall above a tunnel entrance to the subway, and only after the splat does she turn into her Skrull form as she slides down dead onto the tracks. And that should be the autopsy scene.

24 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

True. Why didn't I remember that? I think because a lot of reactions were more "gasp, why did she do that?" than "Lol, Skrulls can't fool her". But what will be really funny is if the old lady turns out to not be a Skrull, and Captain Marvel actually does punch an old lady in the face (as long as she doesn't die of course) as one of her first public acts. She's possibly suffering from a bit of PTSD, and old people do look a bit Skrull-y. I can imagine that whole L-train thing happening very early on, and her bweeming something on the roof of the train is what gets SHIELD / Fury's attention.

But it probably won't be as slapstick as that, and the old lady really will be a Skrull. The humour will be her not transforming, but doing all the combat athletics of a Skrull soldier in the form of an old lady. If that's the case, hopefully Captain Marvel winds up splatting the old lady against the wall above a tunnel entrance to the subway, and only after the splat does she turn into her Skrull form as she slides down dead onto the tracks. And that should be the autopsy scene.

The humor could be the priceless reaction of onlookers seeing a young woman with Superman powers beating the crap out of an old lady.

People losing their heads about the Chris Evans tweet seeming like he's done forever with the MCU. But AFAIK there are no Avengers or Captain America movies on the current plans for the future of the MCU. I can see Cap (and Stark) only putting in appearances in Avengers movies, and so with no Avengers movies on the books, there are no Chris Evans appearances currently planned.

I can also see Avengers 4 being his last movie forever. So it could go either way. But who really dies forever in these stories? Only the villains...and even then.

The first trailer seems to tend to be a less comedic one, take for instance the first Thor Ragnarok trailer:

That has one joke in it (the friend from work bit,) the rest is all pretty serious, in notable contrast to the film.

As for Chris Evans, I recall him saying the schedule and the dieting and working out made him miserable. That and I was kind of assuming this was the end of the line at least for Tony and Cap, he can go on his merry way and all the best to him. I'm sure he's got a list the length of his arm of projects he'd like to work on.

Anyone else heard about the theory that Steve is sent back to his normal time stream where he marries Peggy and stays out of the spotlight? We've never seen a photo of her husband...

That would mean she knew he'd show back up one day in 2010, but knew she couldn't tell him anything about the future. It would also mean she knew about Hydra being in SHIELD... 

Not sure I buy it, but it would be a nice way to cap off Cap's character journey, rather than the typical sacrificing his life to save half the universe.

26 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

Anyone else heard about the theory that Steve is sent back to his normal time stream where he marries Peggy and stays out of the spotlight? We've never seen a photo of her husband...

That would mean she knew he'd show back up one day in 2010, but knew she couldn't tell him anything about the future. It would also mean she knew about Hydra being in SHIELD... 

Not sure I buy it, but it would be a nice way to cap off Cap's character journey, rather than the typical sacrificing his life to save half the universe.

That really doesn't mesh with her Alzheimer's either, 'Steve, you're alive, you came back. It's been so long.' And surely Agent Carter met her uncle, and didn't decide to keep quiet about it so she could one day kiss him.

Doesn’t quite work, but I agree something more interesting than him just dying would be nice. At this point, him not dying would be considered quite the twist. I can’t really see Cap retiring either though, he’d always help if he were able. Stark on the other hand could just pass on the tech to someone else and go have babies with Gwenyth Paltrow.

Stark is definitely dying after that conversation in the last one.

I can see the two of them teaming up to weild the gauntlet and dying to do it, and then we all get mad at Quill again coz he didn't help even though he's already shown a greater ability to bear the load of the Infinity Gems and could have made the difference.

3 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

we all get mad at Quill again coz he didn't help even though he's already shown a greater ability to bear the load of the Infinity Gems and could have made the difference.

Proactively in Quill's defense, he is dust at this point. :P

6 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

That really doesn't mesh with her Alzheimer's either, 'Steve, you're alive, you came back. It's been so long.' And surely Agent Carter met her uncle, and didn't decide to keep quiet about it so she could one day kiss him.

It also wouldn't really fit with Agent Carter, plus unless she's lying, Atwell isn't in AV4.

Archived